FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

1.8: Resume from standby network problem

<<

galmok

Serviio lover

Post Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:05 pm

1.8: Resume from standby network problem

Whenever my pc resumes from standby, none of the DLNA devices can see Serviio. I have tried using the Serviio Console to stop/start the server, but this changes nothing. Only when I stop/start (restart) the Serviio Windows, is DLNA working again.

I have the Network Settings bound for a specific IP as Serviio has a tendency to pick the wrong one. I cannot verify if DLNA is active on the other IP as that network is a virtual network without any DLNA devices.

This was not an issue with version 1.7 or earlier.
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:40 pm

Re: 1.8: Resume from standby network problem

Turn on detailed logging and restart (full). Then restart from standby. You should find a number of entries in the log where Serviio tries to reacquire the IP address - post that part of the log and let's see if it sheds any light on what's happening.
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
Please do not PM me for support as any solution cannot be shared with others.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:02 am

galmok wrote:Whenever my pc resumes from standby, none of the DLNA devices can see Serviio. I have tried using the Serviio Console to stop/start the server, but this changes nothing. Only when I stop/start (restart) the Serviio Windows, is DLNA working again.

I have the Network Settings bound for a specific IP as Serviio has a tendency to pick the wrong one. I cannot verify if DLNA is active on the other IP as that network is a virtual network without any DLNA devices.

This was not an issue with version 1.7 or earlier.

If you don't have a static IP address assigned, I suggest you do so. Also, the start/stop in the console does not control the Serviio Service, only the DLNA functionality. I'm sure there a reason Zip has it there, but I don't see a need for it. The only way to restart the service without rebooting the computer is to use the Services applet in the Windows Control Panel. You can't control it from Serviio itself. You could create a batch file that restarts the Serviio process and run it from the desktop. Create a text file on your desktop and enter the following two lines:
  Code:
net stop serviio
net start serviio

Save it, then rename the file and change the .txt to .bat.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

galmok

Serviio lover

Post Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:42 am

DenyAll wrote:Turn on detailed logging and restart (full). Then restart from standby. You should find a number of entries in the log where Serviio tries to reacquire the IP address - post that part of the log and let's see if it sheds any light on what's happening.

I might do that. I am not rebooting often, so it may be a few weeks. Standby I use daily.
<<

galmok

Serviio lover

Post Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:47 am

atc98092 wrote:If you don't have a static IP address assigned, I suggest you do so.

I have a static IP and have for years. It made this move especially due to Serviio as it wasn't able to handle a dynamic IP. What the problem is now, I am not sure, but I did install Hyper-V recently, but am pretty sure version 1.7 had no issues with the extra IP (I had Serviio locked on the correct IP for as long as it was possible).
Also, the start/stop in the console does not control the Serviio Service, only the DLNA functionality. I'm sure there a reason Zip has it there, but I don't see a need for it. The only way to restart the service without rebooting the computer is to use the Services applet in the Windows Control Panel. You can't control it from Serviio itself. You could create a batch file that restarts the Serviio process and run it from the desktop. Create a text file on your desktop and enter the following two lines:
  Code:
net stop serviio
net start serviio

Save it, then rename the file and change the .txt to .bat.

I know. I just wrote that I also tried Serviio's own stop/start functionality that had no effect on this problem. Restarting the Serviio windows service resolved the problem.

Also, the script you suggested was the one I tried originally and it doesn't work. The reason is that windows returns control to the command line before the service is stopped and then the script fails to start the service again. This is my script now:

Code:
@echo Stopping Serviio service
sc stop Serviio
@echo Press any key to start Serviio service again.
pause
sc start Serviio
<<

galmok

Serviio lover

Post Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:02 am

galmok wrote:
DenyAll wrote:Turn on detailed logging and restart (full). Then restart from standby. You should find a number of entries in the log where Serviio tries to reacquire the IP address - post that part of the log and let's see if it sheds any light on what's happening.

I might do that. I am not rebooting often, so it may be a few weeks. Standby I use daily.

Just checked my log file and well, today it worked which means this is not always a problem. Looking at the even older log files, there are a lot of entries with:

Could not find NIC with name 'eth6-0'

counting down from 9 to 1. And then followed by:

2017-01-22 17:54:41,617 WARN [LocalAddressResolverStrategy] Haven't found any suitable local IP address, will try again 1 times
2017-01-22 17:54:46,804 INFO [Device] Updated bound IP address of Device with UUID: 3f15d94b-0742-3d76-ae04-4d61d66f40a8, bound address: 192.168.56.1

which is the VirtualBox virtual LAN.

It is not like my pc didn't have an IP during this issue, as I was connected to it via remote desktop in attempt to convince Serviio to actually use the correct IP.

Hmm looking closer it seems Serviio detectes non-existent wake events or windows was sending fake wake events to Serviio as I see these lines when I was having most problems with Serviio:

2017-01-22 20:06:18,967 INFO [DiscoveryManager] System wake up detected, restarting UPnP services for network re-discovery

They occur every approx 100 seconds from 17:46 to 20:06. Trust me, I only woke the pc once that day.

Still, why it chose the wrong IP, I cannot say.

I will monitor the coming performance and make a copy of the log and hope it helps.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:44 pm

galmok wrote:Also, the script you suggested was the one I tried originally and it doesn't work. The reason is that windows returns control to the command line before the service is stopped and then the script fails to start the service again. This is my script now:

Code:
sc stop Serviio
pause
sc start Serviio

I was wondering about that when I typed it. I've never used a batch file for that, so wasn't certain if the stop completed before the start command. Your solution is very good. :D

EDIT: I discovered that sc does as you say, but net does not return control to the command window until the command completes. So my command would work as well. If you use sc, then you need the pause, as you noted. ;)
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

galmok

Serviio lover

Post Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:56 pm

atc98092 wrote:
galmok wrote:Also, the script you suggested was the one I tried originally and it doesn't work. The reason is that windows returns control to the command line before the service is stopped and then the script fails to start the service again. This is my script now:

Code:
sc stop Serviio
pause
sc start Serviio

I was wondering about that when I typed it. I've never used a batch file for that, so wasn't certain if the stop completed before the start command. Your solution is very good. :D

EDIT: I discovered that sc does as you say, but net does not return control to the command window until the command completes. So my command would work as well. If you use sc, then you need the pause, as you noted. ;)

Thank you for the info. I am sure there are more in here that could use this restart script.

Return to Serviio Support & Help