FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Serviio access external from network

<<

exelentae

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:47 pm

Serviio access external from network

Pulling my hair out over this one....

Had to re-install windows recently due to failed hardware, following this I can no longer see my Serviio server outside of my home network.
I use 'BubbleUPNP' andriod app to stream media from Serviio to my Chromecast. I can see the Serviio media server that is installed on my laptop externally no problem, I have the port forwarding in place for port 23424 TCP/UDP to my Serviio host internal IP address (static) my public IP address is static, the 'check connectivity status' in Serviio console shows as 'Connectivity is established' and I can navigate to my online media browser using my externalIP:23424 and see my shared libraries fine.

Would any of you kind people out there have any idea as to what weird and wonderful setting in Windows 10 (pro 64 bit) would/could be stopping me from seeing my Serviio server externally? I have turned on all the available settings in 'Advanced Sharing Settings' for all network profilesand still no luck....

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

(I feel like it is something really obvious that I am overlooking but assistance will be much appreciated :) )
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:36 am

Re: Serviio access external from network

First, can you connect from inside your network? If you can, then there's nothing wrong with the Serviio computer. If not, then we've isolated the problem to the computer itself.

You mention that you can connect to Serviio on your laptop from outside your network. How are you accomplishing this? You can only forward a single port to a single internal location. If you are using 23434 as your external port, then it can only be directed to one internal computer. If it's pointing to your laptop, then it can't also point to your Serviio computer.

Some routers allow port forwarding an external port to a different internal port. I can't do that with my DSL router, but I have done so with other brands. Please clarify how your laptop and main Serviio computer are configured in your router port forwarding.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

m33ts4k0z

Streaming enthusiast

Post Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:56 am

You need to forward TCP 8895 and UDP 1900 for the media server to be available from the Internet. 23424 is only for HTTP(MediaBrowser).
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:28 pm

m33ts4k0z wrote:You need to forward TCP 8895 and UDP 1900 for the media server to be available from the Internet. 23424 is only for HTTP(MediaBrowser).

I don't know how BubbleUPnP is designed to access a DLNA server remotely, but to my understanding you can't connect to anything uPnP from outside a network. I believe the only applications that can access Serviio itself (not MediaBrowser) from outside are using some sort of API. I certainly could be wrong, and I will defer to more knowledgeable about that. Since I only use MediaBrowser from outside my firewall, I only have 23424 open on my router.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

m33ts4k0z

Streaming enthusiast

Post Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:31 pm

atc98092 wrote:
m33ts4k0z wrote:You need to forward TCP 8895 and UDP 1900 for the media server to be available from the Internet. 23424 is only for HTTP(MediaBrowser).

I don't know how BubbleUPnP is designed to access a DLNA server remotely, but to my understanding you can't connect to anything uPnP from outside a network. I believe the only applications that can access Serviio itself (not MediaBrowser) from outside are using some sort of API. I certainly could be wrong, and I will defer to more knowledgeable about that. Since I only use MediaBrowser from outside my firewall, I only have 23424 open on my router.

8player and nPlayer on IOs support remote DLNA through port 8895. They just need the link to the description page that they provide automatically within the app. I use it on my iPad 2 Mini. I guess there are players on Windows and Android that do the same. Dunno about BubbleUPnP though.
<<

xtrapeque

Streaming enthusiast

Post Tue May 15, 2018 5:34 pm

is posible see movies in a smart tv of external ip?

my serviio is in my house, is posible see movies ... from smartv at another house?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue May 15, 2018 8:04 pm

xtrapeque wrote:is posible see movies in a smart tv of external ip?

my serviio is in my house, is posible see movies ... from smartv at another house?

No. To connect a Smart TV to Serviio it has to be on the same network. There are remote connections possible, but that requires special apps that the TV will not have.

DLNA is not route-able across the public Internet. You have to either use another protocol (something other than DLNA, which is what the products mentioned above do), or have a VPN (Virtual Private Network) connection between the two private locations. And in general setting up a VPN is beyond the skill set of most home users. Not saying you can't do it, just that most people can't.
Dan

<<

xtrapeque

Streaming enthusiast

Post Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:26 pm

is posible now? 4 years ago...
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:44 pm

xtrapeque wrote:is possible now? 4 years ago...

Is what possible now? If you're asking if a Smart TV or other such device can see Serviio from the public Internet, the answer is and always will be no. The DLNA standard will not route through the public Internet, and this is by design. For security reasons, DLNA cannot work on the public Internet, because it has no real security. Any device on the same private network as the DLNA server will be able to see the DLNA server. A server such as Serviio does have some ability to control such access, but it can't make the server "invisible".

The only way to access Serviio from the Internet is to either use the MediaBrowser and open port 23424/23524 on your router and access it via a web browser, or to use a program specifically created to do so, such as ServiiGo. And ServiiGo only works on Android devices. Either way, it requires the Pro (paid) version of Serviio.
Dan

Return to Serviio Support & Help