FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Mediabrowser Serviio v1.8

<<

Potandpan

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:29 pm

Mediabrowser Serviio v1.8

Hi guys,

Recently I installed windows 10 and in the process upgraded my Serviio version to 1.8, since the reinstall I can no longer access the server from external addresses.

Things I have ensured:

Port forwarded to correct internal IP address (I have also renewed the static assigned address to a different internal address via MAC address rather name hostname as this was initially an issue)
Allowed full access to the server through Firewall
Setup an allowed rule for the given port used
Port shows as open to the web

Whilst all of the above is true I have tried the following:

Ensured all of my other services work since the upgrade (RDP, ftp, web server and numerous game servers)
Installed serviio on a different internal machine
Installed serviio on my dedicated server running Win Server 2008, also no joy
Used a different router
Swapped out my managed switch for an unmanaged switch
Plugged direct into my router bypassing all other internal switching equipment

I am able to connect to the media server locally and I can also connect remotely via a vpn to my home network however this is not ideal. I have a subdomain which points to my home IP and all other services which are running are able to successfully establish a connection.

I am stumped as to what else to try, any ideas?

Chris
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:45 pm

Re: Mediabrowser Serviio v1.8

Are you certain your external IP address hasn't changed, or if it has that the DNS name is up to date with the change? I use a DDNS service, and there is usually a short window (an hour or so) between an IP address change on my router and the DDNS updating the public DNS servers.

Beyond that, it sounds like your settings are correct. For mediaBrowser, the only port that needs to be open and forwarded is 23424.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

Potandpan

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:48 pm

atc98092 wrote:Are you certain your external IP address hasn't changed, or if it has that the DNS name is up to date with the change? I use a DDNS service, and there is usually a short window (an hour or so) between an IP address change on my router and the DDNS updating the public DNS servers.

Beyond that, it sounds like your settings are correct. For mediaBrowser, the only port that needs to be open and forwarded is 23424.

I have a long-term IP lease from the ISP and it only changes once every 6 months or so and I manually update DNS records to reflect this when it happens, the IP has remained the same though and even whilst using my IP rather than domain I still run into the same issue.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:17 am

Any chance you're going through a double NAT? I had an office I configured that included a double NAT, and while I had Remote Desktop working for some time it suddenly stopped and nothing I could do would make it work again. I doubt you do, but wanted to mention it.

Again, it sounds like your firewall setting are correct, so tough to troubleshoot from a distance.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

Potandpan

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:31 pm

Single NAT configuration so that shouldn't be a problem.

I can change other services to use the same port as serviio and they will work as expected, the problem appears to be localised to Serviio only. Last night I tried downgrading my version back to 1.4.1 however still running into issues.

The only difference whilst running 1.4.1 to when it was previously working is the installation of Windows 10. I've yet to try v.1.4.1 on my windows 7 machine or dedicated server which I plan to do this evening, just to see if I have encountered an issue between Windows 10 and v1.8.

I don't particularly mind not being able to access the mediabrowser external to my network, as I can always use the VPN to appear local, however the fact I can't get it to work is driving me nuts!
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:42 pm

I have Serviio on both Windows 7 and 10 with no issues. However, I did have to reinstall Serviio after a motherboard change on my Windows 10 box because after updating all the MB drivers something was altered in the firewall and I couldn't access Serviio at all. I'm at work right now and the only reason I can't access my MediaBrowser from here is that IT is blocking access to the DDNS URL I use for my home. They block a lot of stuff on us here. :x
Dan

<<

Potandpan

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:03 pm

You know your comments about MB drivers may be my solution, at the same time of upgrading to Windows 10 I also installed new hardware (Mobo + CPU) but never considered that their drivers may cause a weird issue.

I'm also at work right now and the only reason I would be able to access my mediabrowser is because I am the IT guy.

**EDIT**

Just out of curiosity I remotely restarted the machine in question and I am now successfully able to connect to the Serviio Mediabrowser... I am now actually really stumped as I haven't changed anything since I was playing around last night where I must have restarted the machine at least 10 times.

This is now working on v1.4.1 as before the upgrade, dare I plunge and upgrade to v1.8 again?
<<

jeffypop

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:18 pm

Hi

I'm a new user of Serviio and it's I think the best dnla server that I have tried. Easier then PLEX ;) .

I have the same issue that it doesn't connect to serviio from external IP address. I have several open ports on my home server and I havent had issues with the others.

Router access & port forwarding to 23424
UFW Allow access to port 23424 (ubuntu server 16.04)

and still no access to <<myIP>>:23424/mediabrowser

this is a list of what I has access to outside my LAN:

Transmission
SSH / FTP
Apache2 with wordpress
Plex :/
ROM games

Thanks

Jeffypop
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:02 am

jeffypop wrote:Hi

I'm a new user of Serviio and it's I think the best dnla server that I have tried. Easier then PLEX ;) .

I have the same issue that it doesn't connect to serviio from external IP address. I have several open ports on my home server and I havent had issues with the others.

Router access & port forwarding to 23424
UFW Allow access to port 23424 (ubuntu server 16.04)

and still no access to <<myIP>>:23424/mediabrowser

this is a list of what I has access to outside my LAN:

Transmission
SSH / FTP
Apache2 with wordpress
Plex :/
ROM games

Thanks

Jeffypop

Is your Serviio computer using a static IP address? If not, I recommend you do. That way you can ensure the internal IP address for your port forwarding rule doesn't change. What is your router?
Dan

<<

jeffypop

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:18 am

Hi,
Yes I added a DHCP reservation, so each time the server boots back it get the same IP.

What about the network interface name, where in the config can I see if it as the proper interface name?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:33 pm

Serviio only uses the IP address, not the MAC nor the interface name. Does your Serviio computer have more than one network interface? If so, it's possible that Serviio isn't using the IP address you think it is. DHCP reservation is just as good as a static IP for this purpose, so no problem there.

What is the brand/model of your router? Some require specifying both the public and private port when forwarding, while others will only port forward the public to the same private port number. Just want to ensure the port forwarding is configured correctly.
Dan

<<

jeffypop

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:41 am

atc98092 wrote:Serviio only uses the IP address, not the MAC nor the interface name. Does your Serviio computer have more than one network interface? If so, it's possible that Serviio isn't using the IP address you think it is. DHCP reservation is just as good as a static IP for this purpose, so no problem there.

What is the brand/model of your router? Some require specifying both the public and private port when forwarding, while others will only port forward the public to the same private port number. Just want to ensure the port forwarding is configured correctly.

Hi, I feel like a newbie :roll: !

I forgot to check the box to activate the port forwarding. My bad!!!

http://imgur.com/FXoGBfz

Sorry for the trouble.

Keep up the great work.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:46 pm

Well, yeah, that might be it... :lol:

Good job going back over your settings with a closer look. Glad it's working!
Dan

Return to Serviio Support & Help