FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Connect to Media Browser without IP Address?

<<

rumplestiltskin

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:55 pm

Connect to Media Browser without IP Address?

My Serviio server is currently configured with DHCP. The Roku's on my network have no trouble finding it. As I'm not going to be accessing the server from outside my LAN, a static IP address didn't seem to ne necessary.

However, if I use a web browser on one of my computers to connect to the Serviio machine, it seems I need to know its IP address in order to enter it into the URL:
http://192.168.1.81:23424/mediabrowser/ ... title=Home
(currently the IP address of the Serviio machine)

But is there some sort of alias or other name I might use in place of the IP or do I just need to set a static IP for the server? I'm looking for a simple solution and, if static is it, then okay.

I will add that VLC (probably because it's using DLNA) on my Mac can connect through discovery. I checked for a Firefox add-on but no luck.

Thanks,
Barry
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:55 am

Re: Connect to Media Browser without IP Address?

On most home networks, the computers are all accessible with their computer name. I have static IPs on my servers, but I use their computer name to connect to the console or MediaBrowser. For me, it's just server:23434/mediabrowser or media:23423/console. Of course, that only works inside my firewall.

Now, of your computer name is long or convoluted, then the IP address might be easier. If you don't want to set a static, at least set a DHCP reservation in your router so it always gets the same IP address via DHCP.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

freaknik

DLNA master

Post Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:57 am

Re: Connect to Media Browser without IP Address?

x2 for router designation.

Use static ip for server. You can have dhcp on in the router and set it up to assign ip staticly to a certain mac address. That's what I do, all my pcs are dynamic ips except the serviio server, and my bluray player, those are static, makes life easier.

Return to Serviio Support & Help