FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Serviio Server at starts-up when it shouldn't

<<

sipral

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:01 pm

Serviio Server at starts-up when it shouldn't

I've recently updated from v1.7 to v1.8 .

In 1.7 I had disabled automatic start-up of serviio in msconfig and it really didn't start, but since I updated serviio always starts up and there is no serviio line in msconfig.

I have looked using CCleaner, msconfig and Serviio setting and don't know where else to look for it. All services marked for start-up are either from Microsoft Software or I know to which program they refer too. So unless Serviio changed its authorship from "Unknown" to "Microsoft Software" ( plus changing its name to something like Microsoft Server, as well) I have no idea why it is starting.

I've also looked into scheduled task and it is not there either.
OS is Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit)

If you need any logs or more information I will gladly send them.
I am very glad for any help at all.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:11 am

Re: Serviio Server at starts-up when it shouldn't

Open your Services applet from the Administrative Tools in the Control Panel. Scroll down to Serviio, then open it and change Startup Type from Automatic to Manual. Don't know why MSConfig isn't listing it. It shows in mine.

Is there some particular reason you don't want the service to start? It takes very little resources running in the background. On my Windows 10 box, it shows about 210 MB of ram in use (about the same that Google Chrome is using), and even with a video streaming to a TV right now the CPU usage never exceeds .5%. In other words, virtually nothing at all. Yes, a transcoded file takes a lot of CPU cycles, but just running in the background takes nothing.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

sipral

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:50 am

Thank you!
I changed it to manual and hopefully it will do next time I start computer. *fingers crossed*
I looked again into msconfig .. and I do have Serviio there - but it's unchecked, with note saying it is disabled since December. (Should I change the first post to be more accurate?)

I'm using it on laptop and it's not really needed when I am traveling/not connected to home network. But I guess the reason is that I want to be in control of what is and isn't running.

atc98092 wrote:On my Windows 10 box, it shows about 210 MB of ram in use (about the same that Google Chrome is using), and even with a video streaming to a TV right now the CPU usage never exceeds .5%.

I am not saying it is taking much resources. And I don't really know what kind of hardware you have, so maybe your 5% is my 20%, but when I use the computer on battery I usually have even internet turned off to not bother my battery with Windows constantly trying to find connection...
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:26 pm

Yep, laptop on battery is a different story. Personally, I would suggest building an inexpensive computer to dedicate as your media server, rather than running it on a laptop. You don't need the latest/greatest hardware to be a media server. Especially if your media doesn't need transcoding. An older PC with Windows 7, or if you have some technical knowledge use Linux. If you have a used computer store nearby you can probably find something pretty cheap. You'd probably spend more for hard drives (for storage space for your media) than the computer itself costs.

If you stick with Windows, try to use at least Windows 7. XP is just too old (and no longer supported by Microsoft) and Vista just isn't that great.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

sipral

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:41 am

Hurray! I can now say the problem is solved.

Thank you for your suggestions. I have a second laptop with linux and a tower (that I built) with linux that so far works as the backup/sync-storage.
I want my media on the laptop(s) as I like listening to the same music whether I am at home, college or even my friends.
Of course I could use laptops only as clients and just ssh to home server, but that has its disadvantages too ;) .
I don't know what you classify as "old computer". One comp has 2.4GHz dual-core cpu, 3GB RAM , Windows 7. Second is 1.2GHz cpu, 2GB RAM, Linux. Tower - 2.93GHz Dual, 2GB RAM (I think - not sure rn), Linux. Hard disks are pretty small and I make do - in past with back up drives, now with 500GB in the tower.
At this point I think building server would be overkill ..

(I totally agree with the XP notion, but with win7 taking 20+GB hardrive space ... )
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:26 pm

Any of the three you list would be adequate. At most I might suggest adding a little more memory (if the OS is 64 bit). Serviio has a Linux version, and that certainly reduces the hardware requirements. If none of your media requires transcoding, the tower is more than sufficient. Throw a muli-terabyte drive in it and there's your media server. :D

Yeah, using SSH or VPN to access remotely is a pain. You could always keep a set of media on the laptop for travel, since it's there already. As long as you're on your home network, accessing the media server is no issue, regardless of playing device. You could even add an inexpensive Roku or Amazon TV stick for simple playback.
Dan

Return to Serviio Support & Help