FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

First try with serviio

<<

jixette

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:51 am

First try with serviio

Hello,

Im totally new with serviio so sorry if my question seems stupid.
I have installed v 1.8 on a windows PC, defined library and local stream. On my wifi network i can see my projector with its IP address. It appears as Generic DLNA

And now ? how can i specificalkly send one movie over the wifi to my projector ?

Or do i have to do this on the receiver ? choose here the media i want ? my projector is UNIC 46, compatible DLNA, a cheap one ; nothing appears on it
what should i do ?
Help appreciated

Thank you

PS : when launching the service by command line, i receive error 5 ; is it normal ?
when starting server with console, it seems very long (maybe 1 min) ; normal ?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:27 pm

Re: First try with serviio

Serviio only acts as a source of DLNA media. It sees everything on your network, regardless of its ability to actually play media. Unless your projector has a DLNA player built into it (unlikely), you need some sort of playback device to feed the video to your projector. Some options are: Blu Ray player (not all players support DLNA, and even those that do may not bitstream HD audio), Nvidia Shield, Roku, Amazon Fire TV, and dedicated media players.

Depending on the video and audio codecs used in your media files, one type of player may be a better fit than others. The most capable player available right now is the Nvidia Shield. It will bitstream all HD audio (requires an AVR between the Shield and the projector), 4K and HDR. But it's also $200 for the least expensive version.

EDIT: I see the projector does support Miracast, so if you have a phone or tablet that supports Miracast, you could use that to cast the video to the projector. I also see that the projector is not HD (native resolution 800 x 480), so don't expect an HD image with it. :D

2nd Edit: it appears the projector might actually have a DLNA player built in. The review I found shows them browsing a server. They do note the projector doesn't support Dolby Digital, so any audio over two channels would require an outboard receiver.

I would try the generic profile for starters. The review says it seems to handle MPEG-2 and 30 fps H.264 video without issues. But higher framerates or 4K material is a no-go. You can read the review for more details: http://hometheatrelife.com/unic-uc46-projector-review/
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to Serviio Support & Help