FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Streaming devices reconmandation

<<

rtan

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:14 pm

Streaming devices reconmandation

I setup a Serviio server for my LG SmartTV and it works great but now I need to find a streaming device for my other not so smart TV's. I looked at FireTV but it doesn't support DLNA. Roku boxes do support DLNA but lack on DTS so most of my videos has not sound. Is there any other options?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:44 pm

Re: Streaming devices reconmandation

rtan wrote:I setup a Serviio server for my LG SmartTV and it works great but now I need to find a streaming device for my other not so smart TV's. I looked at FireTV but it doesn't support DLNA. Roku boxes do support DLNA but lack on DTS so most of my videos has not sound. Is there any other options?

Fire TV does support DLNA by using Kodi or other apps. I forget which ones besides Kodi work. Allcast and Airplay are two more.

Roku will play DTS, although there's currently a bug in their firmware. I believe a revised firmware isn't too far off. Also, I believe that DTS has to be in a MKV or TS container, but it might work with MP4 as well. The important thing to remember is that it is only passthrough, which means you have to use HDMI and connect it to an AVR that supports DTS.

Another option is a Blu Ray player. However, be careful because not all players support DLNA. Sony has fairly good support. Panasonic used to, but I think they've dropped DLNA support.

If you want a streaming box that will play almost everything without transcoding, look at the Nvidia Shield. Not inexpensive, but will play almost every video and audio codec. And it's a respectable gaming platform.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

rtan

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:42 pm

Thanks @atc98092 for pointing me to the right direction. Although I was unable to find Kodi in Amazon App for my FireTV Stick (not a fan of the app anyway, too complicated to use), I was able to find DG UPnP Player. Worth the $2.99 upgrade. The video playback is smooth and it supports DTS. Problem solved. Not bad for the $20 FireTV Stick.
<<

rtan

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:14 pm

I'm not able to find Kodi in Amazon App. As for DG UPnP Player, after spent the $2.99 upgrade, everything seems to be working find until I play videos with multi audio channels. It somehow picks the channel I don't want. There is no way (that I know of) on how to change audio channel and subtitle is not supported.

I finally end up using the Android box using Kodi from it.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:40 am

I don't have a Fire TV any longer, so can't remember how I found it. But at that time it was available. Perhaps they've pulled it. I believe you can side load it as well, but again I'm not familiar with that process. I know Kodi support multiple audio tracks, but no idea how to choose a different one.

The reason I don't have the Fire TV stick is that I found the Roku Stick was easier to use, and far more channels (apps) are available. Since they are priced almost identical, I tried both. I never did travel with the Fire Stick while I had it, but it is supposed to work well with hotel Internet connections as well.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to Serviio Support & Help