FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Slow to discover - can I adjust? Also resume question.

<<

Ramrunner

Serviio newbie

Post Thu May 11, 2017 9:11 am

Slow to discover - can I adjust? Also resume question.

Hey guys, been running Serviio on a Thecus unsupported for years not too many problems.

Since I've just upgraded to a QNAP with a fully supported Serviio (1.8?) I have a problem where the discovery of the Serviio doesn't happen for up to 2 minutes. When I was running the really old version on Thecus, it was pretty much turn TV or media player on and Serviio showed. This new version can take up to two minutes which is very frustrating when you've just turned the TV on and are sitting around waiting for Serviio to show.

I recently found (but did not bookmark stupidly) an article where someone mentioned you can set the discovery times in the config file somehow to shorten the delay. But no real explanation of how or where.

Does anybody know how to do this?

ALSO

the new version does not mark an episode I'm watching as current UNTIL the episode has reached the 5 minute mark. For example I'm watching show X episode 1, it finishes and flick over to Show X episode 2. If I stop the show anywhere before 5 minutes, it will still keep episode 1 marked as the currently watching episode. This is annoying as obviously I'm now watching episode 2 and when I get back to watch shows I want IT marked as the current one. This doesn't happen unless I allow it to hit the 5 minutes mark.

This behaviour has also been introduced in a later version as this before was also working as expected.

Any ideas on that one also?

Thanks for reading guys
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Fri May 12, 2017 12:52 pm

Re: Slow to discover - can I adjust? Also resume question.

Re 1 - look at the serviio.advertisementDuration system property: http://www.serviio.org/index.php?option ... icle&id=43

Re 2 - that is now the expected behaviour. It shows a show that has been watched, rather than one that you're watching.
<<

Ramrunner

Serviio newbie

Post Thu May 18, 2017 12:51 am

zip wrote:Re 1 - look at the serviio.advertisementDuration system property: http://www.serviio.org/index.php?option ... icle&id=43

Awesome thank you. I've ssh'd into the box but don't know where to look as your examples for Windows and OSX on the FAQ are very clear, Linux just says look for serviio.sh.

Does anyone know where this file resides on QNAP?

ALSO

180 means broadcasting every 3 minutes I presume, is there a "safe" limit? I was thinking 10-30 so it's almost immediate on my TV and other devices but I also assume that would also broadcast a lot of unnecessary network traffic.

What did it USED to be set to in the older versions as a guide?

Thanks for your help so far. Great service!
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Thu May 18, 2017 7:58 am

It's always been on 180, but potentially some broadcast packets are being lost on your network.

On Qnap it shoud be under /share/MD0_DATA/.qpg/seriio/bin (or something like that, going by memory ;-) )
<<

Ramrunner

Serviio newbie

Post Thu May 18, 2017 9:16 am

zip wrote:It's always been on 180, but potentially some broadcast packets are being lost on your network.

On Qnap it shoud be under /share/MD0_DATA/.qpg/seriio/bin (or something like that, going by memory ;-) )

Almost zip..... :D

At least I knew where to start.....

OK everyone for future reference on QNAP, the serviio.sh is under:

/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/Serviio

I've added " -Dserviio.advertisementDuration=10" to the line that said JAVA_SERVIIO_OPTIONS

Restarted Serviio. Waited a few minutes for the default 10 second broadcasts to happen.

Turn on TV - BAM - Serviio detected and there immediately.
Turn on BluRay - ALSO BAM - Serviio in the list immediately.

10 may be a little OTT but it works.

Thanks for the help zip - your guide was enough to get me there. I used cp to make a copy of the file first then vi to edit it immediately taking me back 26 YEARS when I learnt Unix at University. Amazing how things come back even remembered I needed to hit insert first, ESC to get back then w to write and q to quit without Googling. If only I can remember what I did yesterday......

Thanks guys hope this helps others.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu May 18, 2017 11:51 am

Man, I haven't used vi in over a decade! :lol: Guess I need to brush up on my *nix skills.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to Serviio Support & Help