FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

New files in library are in use by ServiioService.exe

<<

th0maz

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:43 am

New files in library are in use by ServiioService.exe

Hi Serviio community,

I'm running the latest version of Serviio 1.8 on a Windows 7 Pro x64 machine.
Two directories are added to the Serviio library and automatic library refresh is enabled.

When I now add new files to one of the library directories and try to rename/move/delete them afterwards, Windows Explorer throws an error message, that these files are currently in use by ServiioService.exe.
However, the files are successfully added to the library and I can play them on any media player.

If I now open the Serviio console, a popup in the console will announce the newly added files and they are no longer blocked in the windows explorer.

Any ideas why ServiioService.exe blocks those new files for hours?

Thanks for your support!
Thomas
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:26 pm

Re: New files in library are in use by ServiioService.exe

I believe the files are locked while metadata is being downloaded for it. I encounter the same issue with Plex occasionally. Usually the lock is complete within a minute or so.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

th0maz

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:27 pm

I have disabled all kinds of metadata download, so this should not be an issue.
The files can be blocked for hours in most cases.

I forgot to mention that it has not always been this way. When I started using Serviio 1.8, I did not experience any blocks like these.
<<

Hushpower

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:40 pm

I'd like to throw my hat in the ring here too. I have been using Serviio for years (it's been fantastic) but only recently (I think it started with the 1.8 update; I was on 1.6 before that; now I'm on 1.9 Pro): if I try to move or rename a new video file, I can't because it is locked by Serviio. I can unlock it with Unlocker, but that is a nuisance. Serviio seems to grab the file as soon as it is created (fair enough, that'd be the library scanner doing it's job) but won't let it go. Been like it for a couple of hours now.
<<

thingy

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:34 pm

I have experienced this problem on Windows 2008 Server since as far back as I can remember, at least ver 1.6.
But only if you try to move/rename the last file added. Then both explorer and serviio tries to lock the file and it stays locked.
moving an old scanned file out of the Serviio paths, so that the scanner deletes it form the database, and then re-add it so the scanner adds a file after the locked file, then Serviio releases the file I want to move.

Or wait with moving a file after adding it. Only hard to tell for how long.

Return to Serviio Support & Help