FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Detecting library attached to a router USB port

<<

homerjay

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:12 pm

Detecting library attached to a router USB port

I have a drive attached to a USB port on my Asus router. The router configures it as a Media server and a Samba share (network place).
The problem is that Serviio only seems to allow locations on physical drives that are directly attached to the PC (or at lest, that's all I can get it to see!)
How to I get Serviio to find and index my music in this location?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:18 pm

Re: Detecting library attached to a router USB port

Yes, you can use a networked location. You have to address it differently than a local drive. You use what is called a UNC location. It looks something like this: \\computer_name\share_name. The computer name could also be an IP address. You also have to make sure that Serviio has the proper permissions to access the network location. By default, Serviio runs as a local service on your computer, which has very little network permissions. Most people change the service to run under their personal user account instead, when then gives Serviio the same permissions that you have as the computer user. How to change that depends on your operating system.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

homerjay

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:26 pm

I did do that but for some reason the backslash symbol gets converted to a "t" symbol when the path is posted in to Serviio. (see attached pic)
That's supposed to be " \\RT-AC68U-A608\NetMusic\Music "
I'm using Win10 but I'm not sure how to set the appropriate permissions or where to set them.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (19.6 KiB) Viewed 3308 times
<<

freaknik

DLNA master

Post Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:48 pm

Could be the router firmware sucks.

I have the Linksys ea3500 with USB port and it corrupted over 20 movies because the router cannot handle the computing it takes to run a share that big and serviio.

It's not a great idea imo better to get a desktop or powerful nas.

Desktops are cheap :)
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:48 am

Are you using a language other than English on the computer running the console? I can't think of any reason for the \ symbol to convert to something else. Maybe you can type it in Notepad and then copy/paste it into the console and see if it sticks. Really strange.

But yeah, I don't care for using a router as the networked location. :D
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to Serviio Support & Help