FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Help with stuttering video playback.

<<

hexeta

DLNA master

Post Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:33 am

Help with stuttering video playback.

Hi Guys, last visit for your help was more than two years ago!
Guess I'm a satisfied customer! :lol:
Having problems with stuttering playback of recent MP4 footage taken on my Samsung S3 phone, it plays fine in iTunes on my Windows PC but stutters when viewed on my TV Via Serviio.
Eqipment and software details:-
Serviio Version:- 0.6.2
Video File extension:- MP4
Computer:- CPU Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3_0GHz connected to the world via WiFi !
RAM Corsair 2Gb PC3-10666 TwinX (2 x 1GB)
Graphics:- nVidia GeForce 9600GT 512MB PCI-E
O.S.:- Vista X86 SP2 Fully patched
TV:- Sony Bravia KDL-40NX803 (2010)

I know I'm using ancient kit and for that reason I don't want to upset "the old lady that is Vista", by attempting to install a more up-to-date version of Serviio on this machine. :roll:
Once I get everything transferred to my new W10 Pro machines, I'll update Serviio, meanwhile I would be so grateful if someone can help me to get these files playing smoothly with the current set-up.
Thanks. :mrgreen:

EDIT 23:34 July 29th
Since no replies, I've re-read some advice Illico gave me on a previous occasion, here:- http://forum.serviio.org/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=13357
I didn't understand the instructions he outlined in his second post and he didn't have the time (I presume) to help me further.
At the time I managed to "convert" the offending files using "WinEx Mobile Converter" to achieve a satisfactory outcome.
This time the same solution resulted in a blocky transcription, so I once more attempted to follow his commandline solution to "re-mux using the ffmpeg tools"

I adapted his command line code he gave me "C:\Program Files\Serviio\lib\ffmpeg.exe" -i "filename_input.mp4" -vcodec copy -acodec copy "filename_output.mp4" as follows to suit my PC configuration and the target file name:-
  Code:
E:\Serviio\lib\ffmpeg.exe -i Saffi's Casket carried from Manchester Cathedral_input.mp4 -vcodec copy -acodec copy Saffi's Casket carried from Manchester Cathedral_output.mp4

Sadly this was the output:-
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\admin>E:\Serviio\lib\ffmpeg.exe -i Saffi's Casket carried from Manchest
er Cathedral_input.mp4 -vcodec copy -acodec copy Saffi's Casket carried from Man
chester Cathedral_output.mp4
ffmpeg version 0.9, Copyright (c) 2000-2011 the FFmpeg developers
built on Dec 13 2011 20:46:11 with gcc 4.4.2
configuration: --enable-static --disable-shared --disable-ffplay --disable-ffs
erver --enable-memalign-hack --enable-libmp3lame --enable-librtmp --extra-libs='
-lrtmp -lpolarssl -lws2_32 -lwinmm' --arch=x86 --enable-runtime-cpudetect --enab
le-pthreads --target-os=mingw32 --cross-prefix=i686-mingw32- --pkg-config=pkg-co
nfig
libavutil 51. 32. 0 / 51. 32. 0
libavcodec 53. 42. 0 / 53. 42. 0
libavformat 53. 24. 0 / 53. 24. 0
libavdevice 53. 4. 0 / 53. 4. 0
libavfilter 2. 53. 0 / 2. 53. 0
libswscale 2. 1. 0 / 2. 1. 0

Saffi's: No such file or directory

Thwarted before getting to the final step he gave me which was:-
"Then add the filename_output.mp4 on serviio library and retry to plys it"

Still floundering! any help would be gratefully received. :?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:34 pm

Re: Help with stuttering video playback.

When you have file paths/file names with spaces in them, you usually have to contain the complete path/filename in quotes, such as "Saffi's Casket carried from Manchester Cathedral_input.mp4". Have to do the same with the output as well. ;)
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

hexeta

DLNA master

Post Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:54 pm

Thanks for that atc98092 but still no joy!
I've tried pointing the command window at several file paths to the offending video, all of which I can navigate to in Explorer but get the same response:-
"No such file or directory"

Using Illico's suggested command :- "C:\Program Files\Serviio\lib\ffmpeg.exe" -i "filename_input.mp4" -vcodec copy -acodec copy "filename_output.mp4"
Changing the filepath to "Serviio" to suit my set up and applying your advised "Quotes to enclose the filepath and file name" of both input and output files, I have tried several paths to the target input file, mirroring it as the output destination.
Not sure if that would be a problem, but I haven't got that far yet since ant filepath I specify results in the "No Such" response.

In Explorer, the filepaths that I can navigate, to "Nirvana" are:-

"F:\Data\Videos\My Videos\Saffi's Casket carried from Manchester Cathedral_input.mp4"
....seemed a perfectly explicit set of directions that even my old mum could successfully follow!

"Admin\Videos\My Videos\Saffi's Casket carried from Manchester Cathedral_input.mp4"
....I can see the lack of "start point" might cause confusion here, so tried to be more explicit with the next attempt;

"C:Users\Admin\Videos\My Videos\Saffi's Casket carried from Manchester Cathedral_input.mp4"
....Not a chance :(

Really don't know what to expect as a response from the command window in the unlikely event that I ever do hit the jackpot!
Am I right to assume that using software converters will always result in a lower quality output than (successfully) using the command line to invoke the ffmpeg tool to do the job?

Would you believe that I have used Linux for 15 years and still regard Terminal as "The Black Magic Box" :D
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:34 pm

The error message you posted on the first message was very clear that it was the lack of quotes (Saffi's: No such file or directory). Exactly what was the error when you ran the same command with quotes? I'm guessing it's something different. That command should work, assuming the path is accurate. But I've run ffmpeg before that still errored out, but was for a different reason.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

hexeta

DLNA master

Post Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:51 am

Entering:- E:\Serviio\lib\ffmpeg.exe -i "F:\Data\Videos\My Videos\Saffi's Casket carried from Manchester Cathedral_input.mp4" -vcodec copy -acodec copy "F:\Data\Videos\My Videos\Saffi's Casket carried from Manchester Cathedral_output.mp4"
returns:
erver --enable-memalign-hack --enable-libmp3lame --enable-librtmp --extra-libs='
-lrtmp -lpolarssl -lws2_32 -lwinmm' --arch=x86 --enable-runtime-cpudetect --enab
le-pthreads --target-os=mingw32 --cross-prefix=i686-mingw32- --pkg-config=pkg-co
nfig
F:\Data\Videos\My Videos\Saffi's Casket carried from Manchester Cathedral_input.
mp4: No such file or directory

Entering:- E:\Serviio\lib\ffmpeg.exe -i "Admin\Videos\My Videos\Saffi's Casket carried from Manchester Cathedral_input.mp4" -vcodec copy -acodec copy "Admin\Videos\My Videos\Saffi's Casket carried from Manchester Cathedral_output.mp4"
Returns:
nfig
Admin\Videos\My Videos\Saffi's Casket carried from Manchester Cathedral_input.mp
4: No such file or directory

Entering:- E:\Serviio\lib\ffmpeg.exe -i "C:Users\Admin\Videos\My Videos\Saffi's Casket carried from Manchester Cathedral_input.mp4" -vcodec copy -acodec copy "C:Users\Admin\Videos\My Videos\Saffi's Casket carried from Manchester Cathedral_output.mp4"
Returns:
nfig
C:Users\Admin\Videos\My Videos\Saffi's Casket carried from Manchester Cathedral_
input.mp4: No such file or directory
:(
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:03 pm

OK, three different attempts, three different errors (although related). The bottom line for all of them is that it can't find the file in the location specified. Now we have to figure out why. By the way, the blue text is almost invisible on this black background. I have to highlight the text to read it. ;)

First entry:
E:\Serviio\lib\ffmpeg.exe -i "F:\Data\Videos\My Videos\Saffi's Casket carried from Manchester Cathedral_input.mp4" -vcodec copy -acodec copy "F:\Data\Videos\My Videos\Saffi's Casket carried from Manchester Cathedral_output.mp4"

and it's error:
F:\Data\Videos\My Videos\Saffi's Casket carried from Manchester Cathedral_input.mp4: No such file or directory

I see nothing wrong with your command line. Since ffmpeg can't find the input file, we must conclude there's something wrong with the path. Copy the file to somewhere with a short path name with no spaces, and rename the file so there are again no spaces. Take out the apostrophe as well, just in case. Then try ffmpeg again.

Second entry:
E:\Serviio\lib\ffmpeg.exe -i "Admin\Videos\My Videos\Saffi's Casket carried from Manchester Cathedral_input.mp4" -vcodec copy -acodec copy "Admin\Videos\My Videos\Saffi's Casket carried from Manchester Cathedral_output.mp4"

and it's error:
Admin\Videos\My Videos\Saffi's Casket carried from Manchester Cathedral_input.mp4: No such file or directory

This one makes sense, since it's using a relative path (no specific drive letter). The folder Admin would have to be located in the folder that the command prompt was in.

Third entry:
E:\Serviio\lib\ffmpeg.exe -i "C:Users\Admin\Videos\My Videos\Saffi's Casket carried from Manchester Cathedral_input.mp4" -vcodec copy -acodec copy "C:Users\Admin\Videos\My Videos\Saffi's Casket carried from Manchester Cathedral_output.mp4"

and it's error:
C:Users\Admin\Videos\My Videos\Saffi's Casket carried from Manchester Cathedral_input.mp4: No such file or directory

This one is missing the back slash after C:, so it's an invalid path.

So, try the suggestion I have after the first one. Perhaps there's a bug in ffmpeg with something in the path.
Dan

<<

hexeta

DLNA master

Post Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:02 pm

Thanks for sticking with me on this atc98092, and sorry about the illegibility of the blue text, I use the light board style and had forgotten that some folks prefer the dark one!

I have tried your suggestion to shorten the path but sadly the result is the same. viz:
The target file copied to the root of "F:" and the command argument altered accordingly to:-
E:\Serviio\lib\ffmpeg.exe -i "F:\Data\Saffi's Casket carried from Manchester Cathedral_input.mp4" -vcodec copy -acodec copy "F:\Data\Saffi's Casket carried from Manchester Cathedral_output.mp4"

As you can see, disk space is critically low, not sure if that may be playing a role in this problem but can't imagine it is.
This old PC has been my "go-to" machine because I'm used to it and can work more quickly and comfortably on it.
I have two Windows 10 machines that I just haven't gotten friendly with yet even after more than a year! :roll:
I keep promising myself that I will make the change, ...soon!
...Me thinks the dwindling disk space will soon force the issue! :|

I also tried inserting the missing "\" which you pointed out in my third attempt. It failed again with the response just reflecting the added "backslash".
Attachments
cmd response.jpg
Failed again
cmd response.jpg (59.25 KiB) Viewed 5624 times
Vid Moved to root of F.jpg
File copied to root of "F:"
Vid Moved to root of F.jpg (74.98 KiB) Viewed 5624 times
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:14 am

OK, try renaming the file to something really short with no spaces. If you have the hard drive space, maybe just copy it to C:\ and name it test.mp4. Then your command would be

E:\Serviio\lib\ffmpeg.exe -i C:\test.mp4 -vcodec copy -acodec copy C:\test_output.mp4

No parentheses or space to worry about. If it still fails with the same error, one last try. Copy ffmpeg to the c:\ location as well. Then you don't need full paths for anything, and you can just enter

ffmpeg -i test.mp4 -vcodec copy -acodec copy test_output.mp4 (obviously, make sure your command prompt is correctly at the C:\ location)

If that fails with the same error, I am totally confused and defeated. My last suggestion would be to download the latest Windows version of ffmpeg and try using it. You can download it here: https://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/. Use the static build and 64 bit if that's your Windows version. If the file names are accurate, there's no way it should fail with this error. :oops:
Dan

<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:55 pm

You need to enter the actual file name as the input:

"E:\Serviio\lib\ffmpeg.exe" -i "F:\Data\Videos\My Videos\Saffi's Casket carried from Manchester Cathedral.mp4" -vcodec copy -acodec copy "F:\Data\Videos\My Videos\Saffi's Casket carried from Manchester Cathedral_output.mp4"
(not what you had as the inpu: "F:\Data\Videos\My Videos\Saffi's Casket carried from Manchester Cathedral_input.mp4").

Once done test the file "Saffi's Casket carried from Manchester Cathedral_output.mp4" and see if it stutters. What you are doing is re-creating the container file - if corrupted this can cause weird stuff to occur - but it is not the only potential cause of stuttering. My two cents - I wouldn't do much more until you go Win10 and update Serviio as that is a potential game changer.

ps. I'd probably do this as:

"E:\Serviio\lib\ffmpeg.exe" -i "F:\Data\Videos\My Videos\Saffi's Casket carried from Manchester Cathedral.mp4" -c copy -map 0 "F:\Data\Videos\My Videos\Saffi's Casket carried from Manchester Cathedral_output.mp4"
as this will ensure all streams are copied.
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
Please do not PM me for support as any solution cannot be shared with others.
<<

hexeta

DLNA master

Post Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:02 pm

Thanks atc98092, done as requested, moved the video to root of "C:" and renamed "Test.mp4"
I then ran the argument "E:\Serviio\lib\ffmpeg.exe -i C:\test.mp4 -vcodec copy -acodec copy C:\test_output.mp4"
Output:-
Output as follows:-

C:\Users\admin>E:\Serviio\lib\ffmpeg.exe -i C:\test.mp4 -vcodec copy -acodec cop
y C:\test_output.mp4
nfig

Seems stream 0 codec frame rate differs from container frame rate: 180000.00 (18
0000/1) -> 30.00 (30/1)
Input #0, mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2, from 'C:\test.mp4':
Metadata:
major_brand : isom
minor_version : 0
compatible_brands: isom3gp4
creation_time : 2017-07-26 14:26:05
title : Saffi's casket carried from Manchseter Cathedral
artist : Geoff
grouping : Saffi-Rose Roussos' Funeral
genre : Religious
date : 2017
comment : A very moving Service
Duration: 00:02:42.38, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 17135 kb/s
Stream #0:0(eng): Video: h264 (High) (avc1 / 0x31637661), yuv420p, 1920x1080
, 17000 kb/s, 30 fps, 30 tbr, 90k tbn, 180k tbc
Metadata:
handler_name : VideoHandle
Stream #0:1(eng): Audio: aac (mp4a / 0x6134706D), 48000 Hz, stereo, s16, 123
kb/s
Metadata:
handler_name : SoundHandle
C:\test_output.mp4: Permission denied

C:\Users\admin>

Of course permission was denied, I should have run the argument from an elevated C prompt, or it wouldn't be able to write to "C:"
...It's progress Jim, ...but not as we know it!

Done that now and the output has produced a file:- "test_output.mp4", when copied to my shared folder, Serviio picked it up but it still stuttered.
The output from the elevated prompt was as follows:-

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>E:\Serviio\lib\ffmpeg.exe -i C:\test.mp4 -vcodec copy -acode
c copy C:\test_output.mp4
nfig

Seems stream 0 codec frame rate differs from container frame rate: 180000.00 (18
0000/1) -> 30.00 (30/1)
Metadata:
Metadata:
kb/s
Metadata:
strptime() unavailable on this system, cannot convert the date string. this line was in yellow
Output #0, mp4, to 'C:\test_output.mp4':
Metadata:
encoder : Lavf53.24.0
Stream #0:0(eng): Video: h264 (![0][0][0] / 0x0021), yuv420p, 1920x1080, q=2
-31, 17000 kb/s, 30 fps, 90k tbn, 90k tbc
Metadata:
Stream #0:1(eng): Audio: aac (@[0][0][0] / 0x0040), 48000 Hz, stereo, 123 kb
/s
Metadata:
Stream mapping:
Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (copy)
Stream #0:1 -> #0:1 (copy)
Press [q] to stop, [?] for help
frame= 1976 fps= 0 q=-1.0 size= 137687kB time=00:01:05.86 bitrate=17123.9kbits
frame= 3907 fps=3793 q=-1.0 size= 271972kB time=00:02:10.06 bitrate=17129.3kbit
frame= 4049 fps=1802 q=-1.0 size= 282104kB time=00:02:14.95 bitrate=17124.1kbit
frame= 4066 fps=1409 q=-1.0 size= 283337kB time=00:02:15.52 bitrate=17127.1kbit
frame= 4069 fps=1066 q=-1.0 size= 283537kB time=00:02:15.62 bitrate=17126.6kbit
frame= 4142 fps=959 q=-1.0 size= 288708kB time=00:02:18.05 bitrate=17131.6kbits
frame= 4349 fps=886 q=-1.0 size= 302998kB time=00:02:24.95 bitrate=17123.8kbits
frame= 4453 fps=819 q=-1.0 size= 310242kB time=00:02:28.41 bitrate=17123.8kbits
frame= 4570 fps=768 q=-1.0 size= 318470kB time=00:02:32.31 bitrate=17127.9kbits
frame= 4689 fps=722 q=-1.0 size= 326769kB time=00:02:36.28 bitrate=17128.3kbits
frame= 4837 fps=686 q=-1.0 size= 336968kB time=00:02:41.17 bitrate=17127.2kbits
frame= 4871 fps=676 q=-1.0 Lsize= 339607kB time=00:02:42.34 bitrate=17136.5kbit
s/s
video:336989kB audio:2455kB global headers:0kB muxing overhead 0.048212%

C:\Windows\system32>

Close, but no cigar! ...yet. :D
<<

hexeta

DLNA master

Post Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:04 pm

Hi DenyAll thanks for your post, I tried both your suggested arguments but both failed as follows:-

C:\Users\admin> "E:\Serviio\lib\ffmpeg.exe" -i "F:\Data\Videos\My Videos\Saff
i's Casket carried from Manchester Cathedral.mp4" -vcodec copy -acodec copy "F:\
Data\Videos\My Videos\Saffi's Casket carried from Manchester Cathedral_output.mp
4"
nfig
F:\Data\Videos\My Videos\Saffi's Casket carried from Manchester Cathedral.mp4: N
o such file or directory

C:\Users\admin>"E:\Serviio\lib\ffmpeg.exe" -i "F:\Data\Videos\My Videos\Saffi's
Casket carried from Manchester Cathedral.mp4" -c copy -map 0 "F:\Data\Videos\My
Videos\Saffi's Casket carried from Manchester Cathedral_output.mp4"
nfig
F:\Data\Videos\My Videos\Saffi's Casket carried from Manchester Cathedral.mp4: N
o such file or directory

I tried to modify the last suggestion, the alteration you gave (-c copy -map 0 )
New Argument:-
E:\Serviio\lib\ffmpeg.exe -i C:\test.mp4 -c copy -map 0 C:\test_output.mp4

response:-
C:\Users\admin>E:\Serviio\lib\ffmpeg.exe -i C:\test.mp4 -c copy -map 0 C:\test_o
utput.mp4
nfig

0000/1) -> 30.00 (30/1)
Metadata:
Metadata:
kb/s
Metadata:
File 'C:\test_output.mp4' already exists. Overwrite ? [y/N] N
Not overwriting - exiting
Because I didn't know how to instruct it to write to the location shared with Serviio (F:\videos\My Videos) I opted no to "overwrite".
Could it be as simple as:-
E:\Serviio\lib\ffmpeg.exe -i C:\test.mp4 -c copy -map 0 F:\Videos\My Videos\test_output.mp4 ...Hmm apparently not!
Here's the output from my flawed argument:-
C:\Users\admin>E:\Serviio\lib\ffmpeg.exe -i C:\test.mp4 -c copy -map 0 F:\Videos
\My Videos\test_output.mp4
nfig

0000/1) -> 30.00 (30/1)
Metadata:
Metadata:
kb/s
Metadata:
[NULL @ 029ef9e0] Unable to find a suitable output format for 'F:\Videos\My'
F:\Videos\My: Invalid argument

Ratz! It appears to me that we are so close.
The yellow statement in the previous posting "strptime() unavailable on this system, cannot convert the date string." concerns me, as does the statement "Seems stream 0 codec frame rate differs from container frame rate: 180000.00 (180000/1) -> 30.00 (30/1)", ...could this be the reason the file stutters? :?

I just don't understand why the native output of my S3's camera always has this incompatibility, ...can it be instructed to output files compatible with Serviio?
So many questions, I'm way over my head in this, ...well, in most things really :lol:
Thanks for helping!

Return to Serviio Support & Help