FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

New User Basic Questions

<<

Tanny

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:02 pm

New User Basic Questions

Hi all, thanks for Serviio, and the forum.

I just discovered Serviio, and am seeking very basic information about it to see if it's an appropriate solution for us.

Here's our setup.

- MacOS/Yosemite
- JVC TV
- Roku
- AppleTV

I get that I will have to install the Serviio server on our Mac. I'm new to media serving, but did experiment with Plex for 3 days (found it unreliable) so I get the general concept.

Once the server is installed, how would we access the media content on the Mac from the TV? I was hoping there is a Roku app for Serviio, like there is with Plex, but so far I don't see one. Am I missing something here? If there is no Roku app, what are our other options for navigating and viewing content from the TV?

Thanks for introducing me to the basics of Serviio.
<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:30 pm

Re: New User Basic Questions

My samsung smart tv picked up the server automatically since they are both on the same network, once the server is up and running and configured, it starts to work just like netflix, hulu, or amazon prime movies....etc.

The Roku should see it right away too and I can only assume AppleTV will find it also.

It is pretty easy to set up and make sure the option to "Enable access for new devices" under "Status" area is checked, it should be pretty easy to get up and running once your shared folders are assigned.
<<

Tanny

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:50 pm

Thank you for your reply.

So I install the Serviio server on my Mac. Got that part.

Once that's done, Serviio automatically appears as a streaming channel on my Roku box? And thus I can navigate the content on my Mac using the Roku remote?

Do I understand you correctly?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:27 am

Serviio advertises on your home network via DLNA, and any device that supports the DLNA protocol will show Serviio as an available source. On a Roku player, you use the Roku Media Player, which sees DLNA devices. If your TV supports DLNA, then it too will be able to see it. I believe Apple TV supports it as well, but I can't tell you what app to use to see Serviio. Because DLNA is a worldwide standard, Serviio doesn't require a dedicated app on any player that supports DLNA.

After you install Serviio, you must tell it which folders it is allowed to share. It doesn't just share your entire hard drive. Then Serviio maintains a local database of files and attempts to match the file with the Internet databases to retrieve metadata.

The biggest variation you will find is how they support DLNA. Both my Panasonic and Samsung Smart TVs show a title list, along with an image that usually appears on a DVD case. If Serviio can't find a match to the title in the Internet databases, then it shows a screen shot from the video. The Roku, on the other hand, shows a list of videos, same as the others. But when you select the title, you then see a small metadata information screen with information about the video (again, only if the title is found in the Internet databases).

If your player supports the video file (i.e. the container, video and audio codecs), then Serviio just streams the file without any modification. However, if the video, audio or container are not supported, then Serviio will transcode the file as necessary for playback. When a file is transcoded, you cannot fast forward or rewind the video. For example, Roku players only support a limited number of containers, audio and video codecs. In general, the MP4 or MKV container works the best, but TS/M2TS works as well. For video, it has to be H.264/MP4/AVC (the 4K players also support H.265, and the Roku TVs support MPEG2). For audio, it has to be AC3, PCM or AAC. There are some exceptions, such as supporting DTS as long as you are connecting to an AVR before the TV.

Transcoding takes far more computer power than just streaming the file. Depending on what has to be done, it could take most of the available power of the computer. But if the file is compatible with your player, it takes very little computer power to stream the video.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:29 am

Yes that is how it should work, your mac and other tv should all be on the same network, if so, they should see each other and each non server device should be able to select the serviio server and start looking through what is being shared from the server mac.
<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:34 am

atc98092 wrote:Transcoding takes far more computer power than just streaming the file. Depending on what has to be done, it could take most of the available power of the computer. But if the file is compatible with your player, it takes very little computer power to stream the video.

And to this point, while it may be a LOT of work on your end, it behooves you to try an maintain a rigid video library as MP4 or whatever all your devices support without transcoding. While it is laborious, it saves energy on the server host machine allowing it to remain snappy.....this is just my opinion.

Your mileage may vary.

Best,
<<

Tanny

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:44 am

As for transcoding, all my files are in .mov format. Way too many of them to convert to some other format. So we'll see how that works.

Anyway, I've installed the server, opened the console, and aimed the server at a folder full of video. I've read the Getting Started Guide.

Nothing new appears on my TV, Roku, or AppleTV. No evidence of Serviio anywhere.

Now what?

Thanks!

PS: All devices on same local network. Mac connects via wifi, as does AppleTV. Roku has a wired connection.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:54 am

Wireless may or may not be an issue for the server. It will depend on how much interference you have in your area. If you can use the 5 GHz band instead of 2.4 GHz, you stand a much better chance of smooth playback.

As far as the MOV container, I believe Roku supports that as well. I don't have any, so it slipped my mind.

Now, why isn't Serviio visible to your devices? I have no background in Mac configuration, but the most likely suspect is a firewall blocking access. Since you've just installed Serviio, you have a 15 day period that you can test the MediaBrowser function. Make sure you've set a password in the Remote panel of the console, then try using it. From your Mac, use http://localhost:23424/MediaBrowser. From another computer on the network, change localhost to the name or IP address of the Mac.

One other potential problem area. Some wireless routers have a setting that blocks wireless devices from seeing each other or anything on your network from seeing them. This is normally a security safety feature, but not desirable in your situation. Check your settings. If you can attach the Mac via Ethernet you can eliminate that as a possible problem.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

Tanny

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:09 am

Hi Dan, thanks for your help.

I can reliably stream the Mac desktop to the TV using Airplay. The Mac is connected to our network via wifi. Our AppleTV is connected via wifi too, no problem 99% of the time. Does that rule out wifi as the problem?

If not, I'll try connecting the Mac with a cable. The Roku box is already connected via a cable.

I've turned off the firewall on the Mac.

What will success look like? Will a channel for Servioo automatically appear in my list of channels on Roku? Will an icon for Servioo automatically appear in the list of services presented on AppleTV?

I'm asking because when I tested Plex I had to find the Plex channel in Roku and activate it. It was easy, but I had to turn it on. Not necessary for Serviio?
<<

Tanny

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:39 pm

Don't know if this is relevant, but when I try to connect to my router via the browser interface it consistently times out. I rebooted the router, no change.

All services are working though, multiple Mac connections to Net, Roku, Netflix, AppleTV, iPhone, no problems connecting.
<<

Tanny

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:38 pm

atc98092 wrote:Since you've just installed Serviio, you have a 15 day period that you can test the MediaBrowser function. Make sure you've set a password in the Remote panel of the console, then try using it. From your Mac, use http://localhost:23424/MediaBrowser. From another computer on the network, change localhost to the name or IP address of the Mac.

I was able to connect to the Media Browser on the Mac where Serviio is installed. It showed me the folder I aimed it at, but not the content within that folder.

I tried to access the Media Browser from another Mac, but was unable to. I might not have been doing it right, not sure.

Dunno, must admit, media streaming in general (not just Serviio) is starting to look like way more trouble than it's worth.
<<

Tanny

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:39 pm

I connected the Mac running Serviio with an ethernet cable. Roku box is also connected via cable.

Still nothing, Serviio appears on neither the Roku box or AppleTV.

Does this rule out wifi as being the problem?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:49 pm

Tanny wrote:I connected the Mac running Serviio with an ethernet cable. Roku box is also connected via cable.

Still nothing, Serviio appears on neither the Roku box or AppleTV.

Does this rule out wifi as being the problem?

Well, one would think so. :D What I think it does point to is a firewall issue with the Mac. I can't help there, as I have no Mac experience at all. Especially since you could see MediaBrowser on the local computer but not on another.

Don't give up the ship yet. Streaming is great once it's set up and working. My wife figured out how to use it immediately, and uses it daily. She rarely uses Amazon or Netflix anymore. Even if the Internet goes down, we still have access to our entire library.
Dan

<<

Tanny

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:16 pm

atc98092 wrote:Well, one would think so. :D What I think it does point to is a firewall issue with the Mac. I can't help there, as I have no Mac experience at all.

Firewall on the Mac is turned off.

Here's another clue. I was able to get Plex to work, about half the time. Server was on the Mac, content appeared on the TV. The problem with Plex seemed to be that the browser console could not find or connect to the server on the same machine, roughly half the time, randomly, no pattern I could see.

My best guess is that the fact that Plex did work sometimes suggests the problem is not with the Mac or the network, or Plex would have never worked, just as Serviio is never working.

Also, wireless Airplay streaming from Mac to TV always works, every single time, no hassle whatsoever. Doesn't this too suggest the problem is not the Mac or the network?

I'm still not clear exactly what success would look like with Serviio. Again, does a Serviio channel just magically appear in the lineup of channels on Roku? If so, where exactly? And what is this channel called, and what does it look like?

Don't give up the ship yet. Streaming is great once it's set up and working. My wife figured out how to use it immediately, and uses it daily. She rarely uses Amazon or Netflix anymore. Even if the Internet goes down, we still have access to our entire library.

So far my working theory is that media streaming in general, not just Serviio, is a primitive not ready for prime time technology that is waaaaay more work than it's worth. Given that Servioo doesn't work here, and nobody knows why, basically leaves me with no choice but to give up and uninstall.

Thanks much for trying, I do appreciate it, but this is increasingly looking like a dead end time waster.
<<

Tanny

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:35 pm

When I click the Media Browser in the console, I can navigate to both the folders I'm trying to share in the Media Browser, but no content is shown within either folder. Folders display, content within folders does not. Nothing comes up under "Last Added".

So it seems I can't even access my media using the Media Browser on the Mac, let alone the TV.

Console and server are on the same Mac. Content is on an external hard drive connected to that Mac.

24 hour countdown to uninstall....
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:29 am

Well, I must say it's a baffling question. I will say that just because AirPlay works isn't an indication that everything should work. I am extremely puzzled why MediaBrowser doesn't show any content. I would expect it to be there, as MediaBrowser recognized virtually everything of mine, regardless of container or codec. I again have to apologize that I am just no help with the Mac. I am not familiar with the OS at all. Is there anything that might be blocking other than a firewall? Anti-virus. or other security software?

There is one thing that might be the cause for no media appearing in MB. With computers it's often all about permissions. Your media is technically local, but an external drive might not have the correct permissions. On Windows, Serviio runs under a local service account, and has limited permissions for access. I believe on a Mac it does something similar. Good place to check. If permissions are not correct, the folders would appear in MB but no content would show.

As to why it isn't appearing on your network, I have to say that there's something on the network that isn't playing nice. I realize that your devices all appear to work correctly on the network. If every device is connected by Ethernet though a switch, not running through any sort or router, and every device has the correct IP addressing, there's just no way that Serviio wouldn't show up on your DLNA enabled devices. I have about 10 different DLNA enabled players (even more if I count cell phones), some wireless and some Ethernet, and they all see both of my Serviio computers without issue.

You mentioned that both console and Serviio installed on the same Mac. There is no console install in the current version. The separate console install was removed quite a number of versions ago, and now is web based. You are trying to use Serviio 1.9, right? Sorry, but had to ask.

I completely understand your frustration. We all expect something to just work when we install it. I was hoping someone with a Mac background would jump in here and help me out.
Dan

<<

Tanny

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:19 am

atc98092 wrote: I will say that just because AirPlay works isn't an indication that everything should work.

Can you expand on that a bit perhaps?

I am extremely puzzled why MediaBrowser doesn't show any content.

I'm not puzzled at all. I've been doing a lot of reading on media streaming last week or two, and while I'm very much NOT an expert, it's become clear that media streaming in general is an immature beta industry that's cool in theory, but not ready for prime time in real world practice.

As example, you appear to have a very high skill level in regards to these subjects. And so it doesn't surprise me that you can make it work. But you represent the tiniest fraction of the population. By "prime time" I'm referring to the average computer user.

I again have to apologize that I am just no help with the Mac. I am not familiar with the OS at all.

Oh dear, please don't apologize. You've gone above and beyond, and it's appreciated.

Is there anything that might be blocking other than a firewall? Anti-virus. or other security software?

Macs generally don't need any of that. I've never installed any such software in 23 years, and never had a problem. Knock on wood.

There is one thing that might be the cause for no media appearing in MB. With computers it's often all about permissions. Your media is technically local, but an external drive might not have the correct permissions. On Windows, Serviio runs under a local service account, and has limited permissions for access. I believe on a Mac it does something similar. Good place to check. If permissions are not correct, the folders would appear in MB but no content would show.

That seems a reasonable theory. However, Plex found, displayed and streamed the same content. When it worked that is, about half the time.

As to why it isn't appearing on your network, I have to say that there's something on the network that isn't playing nice.

I don't dispute this, or really know anything about it. I'm just using logic. When every other gizmo attached to the network works, but one doesn't, the problem lies with the one that can't figure out how to do what all the other gizmos are able to do. But anyway, theory aside, this doesn't solve anything.

You mentioned that both console and Serviio installed on the same Mac. There is no console install in the current version. The separate console install was removed quite a number of versions ago, and now is web based. You are trying to use Serviio 1.9, right? Sorry, but had to ask.

No problem with the asking. All I can tell you is that I downloaded the installer less than a week ago from this site.

I completely understand your frustration. We all expect something to just work when we install it. I was hoping someone with a Mac background would jump in here and help me out.

Well, I must admit, I think the problem is really me. I'm getting too wound up about something that's just not at all important. As example, all any media server is going to do is save me from having to get my butt up off the couch and walk 15 feet to the Mac to select the next file for Airplaying to the TV.

If a media server worked perfectly the first time and was reliable, it's worth the trouble to set up. If there's any problem at all, it's just not worth the time investment.

I do sincerely thank you for attempting to help me. Really, I do. If you can't figure this out I'm guessing nobody can, so we did the best that is available and it just didn't work out. No big deal.

Thanks again, you're a good sport, and I appreciate you donating some of your time to this lost cause.

I'm on to mastering the uninstall! :-)
<<

Tanny

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:24 pm

For what it may be worth, here's what I'm going with.

Airplay.

It's ridiculously simple. Start a video on the Mac, and make one menu choice from the menu bar. Video appears on TV via AppleTV. Done.

To turn off the streaming, make another choice from same menu.

If I want to line up an evenings worth of video so I don't have to get off the couch, launch a VLC playlist. This will of course require making the VLC playlists by dropping a pile of videos in to VLC and then saving the playlist.

I don't know what I was thinking, or how I ever became interested in media servers. It must be the onset of Alzheimer's, or at least a serious senior moment. Hey, it only took me a week of teeth knashing to figure all this out, maybe I'm a genius! Or maybe not! :-)

I don't know what the situation is in Windows, but this is what any media streaming software competes with on the Mac side. Point being, unless a developer can make their media server super super simple and extremely reliable, there seems to be no point in even coding the Mac version of the server.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:40 pm

My suggestion is to go what works for you. Sounds like it provides what you need, so wonderful. Troubleshooting issues such as yours remotely is always difficult, but I am glad you have something that works.

Don't sweat any age issue. I'm almost 63, and while I've always had a technical background, streaming was unknown to me until about 5 years ago. The wife and I absolutely love having access to all of our media from any TV in the house, without looking for the disc. I'm going on an extended job detail soon, and I'm taking one of my Serviio computers with me. I've already figured out how to have my own private network in the hotel room, so I can get Internet from the hotel and still stream from Serviio to a Roku player in the bedroom. Once you get used to having your media available via streaming, it's tough to go back to playing discs!

Best of luck to you! :D
Dan

<<

Tanny

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:02 am

Thanks Dan, best of luck to you too. Meeting you made visiting here worthwhile.

I'm 2 years your senior, so now you see the horrors that await you. :-) A couple years from now you too will be logging in to the forum to demand answers to questions such, "Yea, ok, but what is the Internet????"

See ya, and happy streaming!

Return to Serviio Support & Help