FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

[Solved] ROKU FF & REW with MP4 files not working

<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:54 pm

[Solved] ROKU FF & REW with MP4 files not working

I'm not transcoding the files and are in MP4 format, my ROKU streaming stick will not FF or REW or have yet to work with any file.

I see issues with MKV, but that isn't issue.

Any idea why I can't use FF or REW when my TV works fine with the same files?

Thanks,
Chris
Last edited by kittmaster on Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

bolzass

Serviio lover

Post Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:21 pm

Re: ROKU FF & REW with MP4 files not working

Hi!
Same root problem as in your other post? (http://forum.serviio.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=24009)
I haven't a roku, but if you are not transcoding you shouldn't have a problem with FF...

L.
<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:07 pm

The other issue is solved, I am streaming without issue to my TV and all is good.

I just can't seem to FF or REW on the "new" kitchen TV with the ROKU remote control.

I can however FF and REW on the same movies on my Samsung TV, so I'm not sure what is going on and looking to see if there is something I need to adjust to make it work that I'm missing.
<<

bolzass

Serviio lover

Post Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:41 pm

Sure you did it, have you the right profile? Serviio recognizes roku? (at console).
Set DEBUG in org.serviio at log4j.xml (http://wiki.serviio.org/doku.php?id=detail_logging); so you can post useful info for more experienced people to help you.

(Sorry but I don't know too much about transcoding and nothing about roku devices).
<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:00 pm

I went back to double check to be sure, I found that transcoding was turned on, when I installed, I must have checked it when I was doing initial testing. I turned it off and all the functions are working correctly.

So this is a my bad (again).

I will have to convert all my non MP4 media which isn't to hard to do, just laborious.

FYI, the profile for the ROKU did show up correctly in the server side console, so that is how I knew it was working, just an oversight in the settings on my part.

Thanks!
Chris
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:57 am

Re: [Solved] ROKU FF & REW with MP4 files not working

Just an FYI: there are now multiple Roku profiles, but because of the way Roku devices identify themselves Serviio will always assign the original profile. That profile requires transcoding on many files that in reality can be played fine. The new profiles must be manually assigned, but after that they should remain assigned without additional action.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:18 pm

Which profile shall I use for Roku Stick?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:23 pm

For the current model Stick (3600), the 2016+ 1080 profile should normally work fine. Older Sticks might not support HD video bitrates, so would need to use the original Roku profile.

The one issue with the new profile is that it passes DTS audio, rather than transcoding. When the Roku is attached directly to a TV (not an AVR), and the TV does not support DTS, then there is no audio. Unless someone wants to modify the new profile, the original Roku profile will convert all audio to ac3. However, it also limits video bitrate for players that don't need it. SInce you've now enabled the user-profile function, someone could easily modify the new profiles to ensure all audio is ac3 or aac.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:37 pm

While I understand what is being said, I have little experience to make the changes, but could if guided.

So I should manually change my Roku to another profile server side under "edit"?

If so what should I select?

My exact model I bought was from walmart the Roku Streaming Stick for like $39

LMK how I can help.

Chris
<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:54 pm

I tried all the non 4k options in the console.

With transcoding enable, I can render the image, but no sound

Or

I can render and get sound but no FF / REW control.

With transcode off, all my mp4s work, and FF / Rew controlled normally.

Chris
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:16 pm

kittmaster wrote:I tried all the non 4k options in the console.

With transcoding enable, I can render the image, but no sound

Or

I can render and get sound but no FF / REW control.

With transcode off, all my mp4s work, and FF / Rew controlled normally.

Chris

It depends on the audio codecs your media contains as to what plays and doesn't. I'd need to see what those are, to determine if I overlooked something when creating the profiles. If they are 2 channel aac or ac3, there shouldn't be an issue. If they are DTS or one of the HD audio codecs, that might be an issue. But if they work by turning transcoding off, that might take a deeper look. I won't be home until late this evening, so I don't even have a copy of the current profiles with me. If you can give me the media information from one or more files, and tell me how each works for you, I can look into it further. You can get the media information a couple of ways. On a Windows computer, you can install a program called MediaInfo. If you are comfortable using the command line, you can get the same information using ffmpeg, using the -i switch. There are a number of posts that explain how to do that if you are unfamiliar with it.

And remember that with transcoding you will never get FF/rewind from a video file unless you use HLS as the target container. Because Serviio cannot yet transcode multi-channel audio into the HLS container, that's why for now we've stuck with the TS container. Working on it, though!
Dan

<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:22 am

Sorry for the long delay, my water heater took a dump in the basement......been cleaning up for the last two days......what a mess.

Anyway, I will never use that format and most of the media I continue to acquire won't either, so therefore, I'll be sure all my media is MP4 and the formats that work without transcoding. Lots of junk I have are decades old and before MP4 came along to dominate (IMO) as it does today.

Thanks for the assistance.

Best,
Chris

Return to Serviio Support & Help