FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

what client to use with Serviio?

<<

elparleur

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:21 am

what client to use with Serviio?

Hi, sorry for this newbie question, but I have installed Serviio and really like it, especially since finally I can see subtitles with my DLNA server!!
I have a QNAP NAS (HS-251+) with the latest 4.3.x firmware.
Now before switching to Serviio, I used Plex Server and PLex Home Theater as a client - but it stressed the cpu too much and also the 64 bit transcoding is not really working well on my nas -
so with Serviio and dlna, my Samsung TV is doing (part or all??) of the transcoding, somehow it gives MUCH better playback than using the Plex.

But now I have no client anymore, because Serviio not by default deliver a client - it has a web client, which I tried in Chrome, but that's just not easy for a TV, because you have to click and use trackpad and all
to select things - so basically I am looking for something close to Plex Home Theater, but then for Serviio - I have tried Kodi 17.x already, but although that works and show the stream, it not give the option for the subtitles if they are embedded and thus come with the stream - is that always the case with any client? Is Kodi perhaps not even a bad choice?

I am hoping to get some advise and in general maybe some tips on how to use Serviio to the best way, all help is welcomed anyway! :)
<<

lagunaa

Serviio lover

Post Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:59 am

Re: what client to use with Serviio?

elparleur wrote:so with Serviio and dlna, my Samsung TV is doing (part or all??) of the transcoding, somehow it gives MUCH better playback than using the Plex.

Nope, your TV is just the client, all transcoding part is done by Serviio server. ;)

elparleur wrote:But now I have no client anymore, because Serviio not by default deliver a client - it has a web client, which I tried in Chrome, but that's just not easy for a TV, because you have to click and use trackpad and all to select things

If your Samsung TV supports the DLNA protocol then your TV will be the client, i.e. you will use the media player bundled with the TV.
<<

elparleur

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:17 am

Nope, your TV is just the client, all transcoding part is done by Serviio server. ;)

Ok cool, then Serviio does a better job than Plex for my NAS at least.

If your Samsung TV supports the DLNA protocol then your TV will be the client, i.e. you will use the media player bundled with the TV.

Ok, but is there another option maybe, because the bundled media player is not that great and not so easy to control by remote.
Like I said, I can use Kodi from the HD Station, maybe there are alternatives?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:21 am

Most streaming players support DLNA, therefore supporting Serviio. Clients like Blu-Ray players, Roku, and Nvidia Shield are just some examples. If transcoding is an issue for you, then it helps to consider what video and audio codecs are contained in your videos. Many players (clients) only support a limited number of codecs. For example, Roku players will not play MPEG2 video, so it must be transcoded. Very few players support HD audio (Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio), so the audio must be transcoded (although transcoding audio is far easier for the server than video).
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to Serviio Support & Help