FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Disabling Transcoding

<<

pawnslinger

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:56 pm

Disabling Transcoding

I wish to disable transcoding. But I also wish to use the MediaBrowser. I understand that the MediaBrowser requires transcoding. From testing I have confirmed this to be the case.

I would like to see a new feature, in the future, that would allow for transcoding to be completely and finally disabled.

I have a powerful server, a powerful 8 core cpu, but almost all of its power is being used in other applications. I do not wish to devote the cpu resources to transcoding. I just purchased the "pro" version, in the hopes that a future release will contain the requested disabling. I am a long time Serviio user and just recently upgraded to the version with MediaBrowser, and it works great, but hogs a minimum of 16% of my cpu for ffmpeg transcoding.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:45 am

Re: Disabling Transcoding

Two ways to disable transcoding. The most obvious is to uncheck the Enable Transcoding box on the console. The other is to use the Generic profile, which offers no transcoding. However, if you enable burned-in subtitles you will always transcode, regardless of settings, as that's the only method to burn the subs in.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

pawnslinger

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:56 pm

Yes, I have already disabled transcoding by disabling the feature in the Serviio Console (as you describe, and I am well aware, as a long time user of Serviio).

However, the MediaBrowser still transcodes. No matter what setting I use. And DLNA profiles are not applicable to web browsers. I am not even sure how to assign such to a web browser. I use FireFox and Silk... both are HTML5 compliant, and I believe capable of playing all my content without transcoding. So transcoding can be safely bypassed, but I see no way to configure transcoding for the MediaBrowser... the normal Serviio configuration does not appear to apply.

Would it make any difference if I used a different browser? Say Chrome for example? I am sorry I refuse to use the Microsoft browser.
<<

pawnslinger

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:02 pm

I am not sure what you mean about burned-in subtitles. I never use subtitles, because I could not read them... I have very poor eyesight. But I believe when I created my content, using Handbrake, I processed the subtitles in the default manner, usually including the English ones only (or Spanish for my wife). But seldom do we ever turn them on, I cannot remember the last time I saw a subtitle.

So I guess they are not burned-in.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:33 pm

Burn-in is not used by MediaBrowser, so that wouldn't be the issue.

I believe the next question is what format your media is in (container, audio and video codecs used). Then Zip can answer if your media can play in MediaBrowser without transcoding. That's a question I can't answer.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

pawnslinger

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:17 pm

Clearly my content cannot play in MediaBrowser without transcoding. My testing has shown this. My research in this forum concerning prior threads on this subject confirms this. The fact as far as I know it is, MediaBrowser requires transcoding to be done. Period.

That was never the question.

Rather I am suggesting that Serviio implement a feature that would allow users to override this forced transcoding. If my browser can't play the content, so be it. I do not wish to do any transcoding. So as it stands today, the MediaBrowser is useless to me, unless or until I assemble a dedicated server. I do intend to do this, however my current financial situation does not allow me to do this.

For what it is worth, my content is almost entirely made up of mp4 files created with the H.264 codec using Handbrake. The bitrates vary, but mostly they run around 3000 kbps (I think that is the correct way to write that). I believe my LAN, tablet and browser are all up to the task. As it is, I am using the DLNA client in VLC to play the content with zero problems. But I would find it much more convenient if I could play them without transcoding in MediaBrowser.

Of course this is just my suggestion... and is the only reason I purchased the "pro" version, i.e. so I would not feel awkward about making a suggestion.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:52 pm

Understood. Suggestions are always welcome. Zip does have a Feature Request forum http://forum.serviio.org/viewforum.php?f=3 here, but he tracks requests via Bitbucket (https://bitbucket.org/xnejp03/serviio/issues). That's the best place to make a request.

And I think it's a valid request. Your media does sound like it should play without transcoding. The current version of MediaBrowser uses HTML5 for playback, but I know Zip is waiting for an update for the player. Perhaps the update will allow what you're requesting.
Dan

<<

pawnslinger

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:12 am

I guess it might. But I am beginning to lose hope. If MediaBrowser sticks to HTML5, then I am lost. H.264 is not strictly supported by HTML5, because it is somewhat proprietary. And not considered a fit codec for the public network. Well, shoot. My stuff should playback okay, but not if his player just goes by the strict HTML5 rules.
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:48 pm

H264 / aac files should not be transcoded, unless the level is too high - check out application-profiles.xml (one called html5)

It would transcode it if you're playing other than Original quality in MediaBrowser though.

Return to Serviio Support & Help