FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Audio on Roku Stick

<<

421ImLate

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:10 pm

Audio on Roku Stick

Hi,
I'm using a Roku Stick (Model 3600X) and the audio will not work on most .mkv files. I have tried many different audio settings on the Roku and different Roku profiles in Serviio can not get the audio working on most of my newer .mkv files, .avi and .mp4 files the audio work fine, the audio also works on H265 files that are transcoded as long as I have the Roku set for Dolby D.

The Roku is plugged into a HDMI port on a Samsung C Series TV. All of the files work just fine viewing them thru the built-in TV>Media Player>Serviio. It is just thru the Roku that the audio won't work.
I would really like to get the audio working on the Roku as it is alot faster loading on the Roku than on the TV>Media Player>Serviio.

Any Ideas?

Thanks, 421ImLate

Windows 7 Pro, Serviio 1.7.1.1 Pro
Last edited by 421ImLate on Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:36 am

Re: Audio on Roku Stick

It depends on the audio codec you media contains. If it's DTS, you either have to add a line in the Roku profile to enable audio transcoding, or plug the Stick into an AVR that supports the audio codec you have. Please provide the media info for a file that doesn't play audio.

Most TVs will only accept Dolby Digital (AC3) or 2 channel PCM. If your media has DTS or AAC audio, you most likely won't hear anything. If you need to modify the Roku profiles, the best profile for your Stick is "Roku 1080 Media Player (2016+)". You can add the following line to enable transcoding for DTS audio:
  Code:
<Matches container="*" aCodec="dca"/>

Add this line to the 2nd Video Transcoding section that begins under the comment the says <!-- Remux h264 video stream, transcode audio only -->. Add it directly below the line that says aCodec="truehd". After saving the file you have to either restart the Serviio process, or simply reboot the computer.

All this assumes that DTS is the cause of the no audio issue, and that your video plays fine. If this doesn't resolve your issue. This support page provides more in depth information about what each transcoding setting means. http://www.serviio.org/index.php?option ... icle&id=24
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

421ImLate

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:20 am

Ok,

Thanks for the reply, looking at the files that won't play in MKVToolNIX , the audio that won't play are mostly DTS or DTS-HD. One of them is FLAC audio. Most of the ones with AC3 do play
the audio.

As for the profiles in Serviio, there is only one for Roku, Roku Media Player, no Roku 1080 Media Player (2016+). the Roku Stick is a 2016 model

Now on adding the <Matches container="*" aCodec="dca"/>, it has to be added to Serviio config file? I sort of know how to use Python, would that work for adding the Code?
Sorry for all the questions, I'm old and working on learning how to fix this.

Personal computer, i7 3770k, AsRock MB, 16GB DDR3@2133Mhz, AMD 290X 4GB video card, 38TB hard-drive space. Private P2P server/Home server, i7 2600k, AsRock MB 8GB DDR3@1600Mhz,
AMD6850 1GB x2 video cards, 5TB hard-drive space, TV Samsung UN46-C6800 (Upgrading to a LG 55" OLED soon), Samsung BD-D5700-ZA, Roku Stick, Sony STR-K7000 AVR
Last edited by 421ImLate on Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:48 pm

OK, you don't have the most current version of Serviio. Version 1.9 comes with a host of new Roku profiles.

Also, the new profiles have a line for transcoding DTS-MA but it's commented out, assuming the device is connected to an AVR. You can uncomment that line and you will get your Master Audio tracks transcoded to AC3. I'd have to look at the profiles again to see if there's a line for FLAC. I can't remember if I have that in there. If I don't, I'll need to update the profiles.

Again, if your Roku runs through an AVR, most of these codecs are no issue. That's the environment used for developing the profiles. I could always create a second set of non-AVR profiles, but I don't think Zip wants that much complexity. Much easier to make the profiles work as is for the majority of users.

As an aside, the Roku profile you are using is bitrate limiting every file you play, even though your Roku doesn't require it. That was the reason for creating the new profiles, as the newer Rokus can handle far higher bitrates than the older players. If you have some reason you don't want to update Serviio to 1.9, I can send you the new Roku profiles and you can add them to your profile file. By the way, the profiles file is XML, which is really just a fancy text file. I'm not sure if Python has similarities. I use Notepad ++ for editing it. I'm old too, so don't let that worry you. :)
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

421ImLate

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:20 am

Thanks,

It never occurred to me to try the Roku thru the AVR, its an old Sony, but it does decode DTS. I'll work on it connecting it up thru the AVR tomorrow.

The couple of MKV's with FLAC audio are working since updating Serviio to 1.9 and using the profile you suggested, while it is still plugged into the TV.

The DTS files still don't work while it is plugged into TV, I'll let you how it went, after I connect the Roku thru the AVR.

I have used Notepad ++ some, never got good at it, but if I need to add to the config file, I think I can muddle thru it.

Thanks Again, Joe

Personal computer, i7 3770k, AsRock MB, 16GB DDR3@2133Mhz, AMD 290X 4GB video card, 38TB hard-drive space. Private P2P server/Home server, i7 2600k, AsRock MB 8GB DDR3@1600Mhz,
AMD6850 1GB x2 video cards, 5TB hard-drive space, TV Samsung UN46-C6800 (Upgrading to a LG 55" OLED soon), Samsung BD-D5700-ZA, Roku Stick, Sony STR-K7000 AVR
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:28 am

Glad to help. :D
Dan

Return to Serviio Support & Help