FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

How to connect domain and serviio?

<<

Haki

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:26 pm

How to connect domain and serviio?

I connected noip with computer but cant access serviio with noip url. Is there some tutorial how to connect domain-noip or other free dynamic dns to computer (serviio) ?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:57 pm

Re: How to connect domain and serviio?

Serviio has no idea what your public IP is, so it doesn't need to connect to anything. Your router has to have port 23424 forwarded to your internal PC's IP address.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

Haki

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:29 pm

atc98092 wrote:Serviio has no idea what your public IP is, so it doesn't need to connect to anything. Your router has to have port 23424 forwarded to your internal PC's IP address.

I figure that out but, thing with connecting domain with noip or any other dynamic dns is confusing, maybe its paid option but i want to know how to connect free your domain with any free dynamic dns so i can use domain to access serviio?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:58 pm

I use a free domain service, and it requires having an application running on a computer within my network that checks my public IP and updates the DNS servers. You have to research your specific domain service and see what they require. Some, like dyndns, have that functionality built into many routers, so a computer application isn't necessary.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:32 am

I use NoIP, free, and it was pretty easy to set up.

• Set up an account with NoIP and set a host name - I selected a free hostname as my needs are simple ;-)
  • The next step depends on your router. If your router supports updating a Dynamic DNS provider, then configure that section in your router (usually you just need to enter your NoIP account details and host name and that's all that is needed). If it doesn't, then you need to use a DUC client running on your PC. Its better done in the router as this doesnt then depend on your PC being active to do an IP address update.
    My router supported Dynamic DNS for three other providers - just not for NoIP :-( .... so I use a DUC client.
  • Download the DUC (Dynamic Update Client) from the NoIP web site (after you log in, it's in the menu left hand side) and install it.
  • In DUC select Edit and enter your NoIP Account credentials. Select Edit Hosts and select the your Host Name from the list and press Save. Select File, Preferences and select the first two checkboxes.
  • Press Refresh Now to test. If everything is working you should have three green ticks under Status
that was about it from memory (been a while since I set this up).
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
Please do not PM me for support as any solution cannot be shared with others.
<<

freaknik

DLNA master

Post Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:52 pm

Not telling you guys what to do, we are all big boys, but many in fact iirc all services such as NoIP and OpenDNS have at one time or another leaked dns or been completely breached.

Use due diligence when opening your home network in this way.

I wish I could put a clip of Damon Wayans from Major Payne when Hillary from Fresh Prince is trying to give him a book.

Damon pushes it away and says with the southern accecnt "I DON'T WANT IT!"

I would not be comfortable trusting jokers like that with the security of my home network but to each his own.

Alexa is skynet from Terminator you know that right?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:59 pm

Good thing the only thing open on my firewall is accessing Serviio media browser and Plex. I don't have any other open incoming ports. Unless those two have some nasty security hole, I should be good. :)
Dan

Return to Serviio Support & Help