FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

using a UNC in Linux

<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:22 pm

using a UNC in Linux

I decided to buy a cheap used computer and start playing with Linux again. I currently have Mint 17.3 installed. I've successfully installed Serviio with no issues. However, rather than copy a bunch of media files to this computer (with it's ancient hard drive that could fail) I just wanted to connect to one of my other Serviio boxes. I added the usual UNC (\\computer_name\Share_name), but it is getting changed in the Serviio console once I hit Save. It now shows:
  Code:
/home/dan/\\media\movies2

Why is it adding the local home path for my user into the console? This behavior doesn't occur with Windows. Anybody have any ideas? I tried mounting the network location to this computer, but then it wouldn't fully boot. I know it's been a long time since I've used fstab and VI, but it doesn't seem like things have changed all that much.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:30 pm

Re: using a UNC in Linux

Just as an aside, the computer is doing it from the file manager tool as well, so it's certainly nothing to do with Serviio.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:12 pm

I still can't figure out why Linux Mint is doing this, but I got around it by mounting the share via CIFS, so now it appears as a local folder. If someone has an answer, it would be appreciated. I've advised so many users to use UNC when accessing a network share, I'd sure like to know what's happening here. :D
Dan

<<

rOOt@LX

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:47 pm

atc98092 wrote:I still can't figure out why Linux Mint is doing this, but I got around it be mounting the share via CIFS, so now it appears as a local folder. If someone has an answer, it would be appreciated. I've advised so many users to use UNC when accessing a network share, I'd sure like to know what's happening here. :D

If you want connect to another Linuxhost running samba try this in Nemo / Filemanager smb://Hostname or IP/sharename/
If u want to connect to a Windowsshare look here http://mixeduperic.com/linux-mint/how-to-map-a-windows-network-drive-in-linux-mint.html and https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MountWindowsSharesPermanently

but I got around it be mounting the share via CIFS
= perfect, it works 8-)
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don`t ....
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:43 pm

Yeah, creating a mount point works, but I'd prefer to not have to mount it. There's no need to access those files from the Linux box, so it's network traffic that isn't necessary any time the box boots.

Just not understanding why the UNC gets changed in the Serviio console when I hit save. I suppose it's possible that Serviio is doing it, and not Linux. Zip would have to look at that.
Dan

Return to Serviio Support & Help