FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Authorities explanation re. sort order (images)

<<

mbe

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:51 pm

Authorities explanation re. sort order (images)

I have researched the forum back to 2009 and I do not see a clear status re. ordering. As of now my tests with Serviio do suck re. image order - alphabetical. Which is pathetic, if it should be the only option. Consider this: you have a mobile and a camera, taking fotos, and put them into a folder on your device. Makes two different naming conventions typically. This may multiply when you travel with partner and/or friends.
Some people migh edit names to force an alphabetical order. Fine. Most people would not sacrifice like that.
In other words: one size does NOT fit all. (I’m definitely not preaching one versus the other.)

Now: where is the restriction?
I could find instructions how to make Serviio do one or the other sort order when indexing new images.
I could not find an option in any DNLA client either.

Can you pls. explain?

TXs and cheers
Michael

PS: if TV clients should be to dumb to offer those options, Serviio could create virtual names that imply the desired order and feed the TV clients accordingly. Maybe all is already there, as the topic is years old. But then I was not able to find it, sorry.
<<

mbe

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:59 pm

Re: Authorities explanation re. sort order (images)

Forgot reply notification ...
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:51 pm

The only way to have total control over the content order is to make playlists. Those will appear exactly how you build the playlist. Beyond that, I believe it would be up to your playback device to have alternate methods of sort order.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

mbe

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:21 pm

Well, then the question translates into: how to AUTOMATICALLY construct play lists with USER DEFINED ORDER/CHOICES (as per initial post) ?

And BTW: Plex can handle image timestamps properly.
And with a smart App on your phone (not all of them are smart, though) and screenshare with a TV you can bypass dumb DLNA implementations by TV manufactors.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:15 pm

On Windows, there is a program called Playlist Creator this works very easily import individual files or entire folders. If you import a folder, it is ordered completely alphabetically. You can drag files into the list in whatever order you want. If you don't use Windows, there may be other equivalent programs, but I know nothing about them.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

mbe

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:18 pm

The alphabetical order you have without doing anything. This is what the server does automatically, without choice for the user.
The problem is the CHOICE to have it by EXIF timestamp.
<<

mbe

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:06 pm

In other words, the current data model of Serviio for Images is not fit for purpose. Short sighted design decision. But not too hard to fix for a professional.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:42 pm

All I'm saying is that you have complete control of the display order of a playlist. Beyond that, I can't speak to your desired functionality.
Dan

<<

mbe

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:46 pm

I understand that well; the request goes towards the author of Serviio.
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:30 pm

Looking at the code, images in Folders are ordered by name, in playlists by the playlist position and by date in the year / Month categories.
<<

mbe

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:58 pm

I just tested: the "queue all" function simply takes the order from the image folder content. This is what you see in the playlist, and this is what happens when you "play" the list, hence it's simply dysfunctional.
Unless you add a feature for mass manipulation of playlist orders. The status quo of the SW is useless for serious work with images.
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:12 pm

By playlists I mean m3u, wpl etc files, not playlists in the MediaBrowser.

I agree the Image area is basic, but I'm hardly getting any requests for updates in that area.
<<

mbe

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:33 pm

Well, you know how to read EXIF, I suppose, you are in control of the data model of the database, trivial to extend.
Adding sort options on top is straight forward, too.
So it is in your hands and brains to change the status quo and promote the progress :-)

Return to Serviio Support & Help