FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Upgrade from 2.1 to Pro 1.6?

<<

bgaherty

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Upgrade from 2.1 to Pro 1.6?

I was looking to update from v2.1 to v2.3 on a DSM DS916+, but there is a feature that Pro v2.x offers I would like to have. I realize I would have to buy the Pro v2.x, but does it upgrade the existing v2.1, or will need to uninstall v2.1 and do a new install with Pro v2.x? I hope for just a license upgrade to open the Pro features, as everything is working perfectly on my system and I don't want to risk losing settings. Thanks for any insight.

Also, what version is the latest Pro?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:51 am

Re: Upgrade from 2.1 to Pro 1.6?

First, your subject line says Upgrade from 2.1 to 1.6, but that's a downgrade and can't be done. You cannot install an older version of Serviio over a newer version. With few exceptions there are database changes in each new version, so the older version will not work right (if at all) with the newer database. The only way to downgrade is to complete uninstall the existing version and install the older version fresh. And that means losing all existing settings and requiring a complete setup from scratch.

Now, if you got it backwards and you want to upgrade from 1.6 to 2.x, yes you can install it directly over the older version and it will keep all your existing settings. If you have a Pro license for 1.x, yes you would need to purchase a new license for 2.x.

You also mention upgrading from 2.1 to 2.3. This too is a simple install over the existing version and all settings remain intact. If you have a Pro license for 2.1, it's still valid for 2.3.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

bgaherty

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:32 pm

My error in communicating. I am currently running Serviio version 2.1, but I recevied a notification that 2.3 is available. When I click on the "download" link for the update, it takes me to a page where the latest for a Synology NAS is version 2.1...which appears to be the same version I am running, despite the upgrade notification. Is there an upgrade to 2.3 for Synology? I also want to move up to the Pro version. I am just not sure what to download and install and also not sure if my NAS DS916+ needs to be updated to version 7 and do I need to upgrade Java? I am fairly knowledgable about computers and networks, but working on a NAS and dealing with Java is somewhat foreign to me. Everything works now, so I am a little hesitant to upgrade and update...as I want to stay working, but I know some patch or necessary.

Anyone that wants to help me out, I would very much appreciate the assistance.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:17 pm

Thanks for the clarifications. :) At the moment 2.1 is the most current version for the Synology NAS. The problem (as near as I can tell, since I don't use a NAS myself) is that Synology has moved their OS/DSM to a new version that did not allow Serviio to run as it has in the past. Something about permissions. The NAS versions of Serviio are not provided by the Serviio developer himself, but instead are provided by other users. The user that has historically provided the Synology builds wasn't doing so any longer. Some other users are currently trying to make the changes necessary for Serviio to work on DSM 7.x, and you can find their progress here: viewtopic.php?p=136501 So far it's been a struggle. :)

As to moving to Pro, you can do that with your existing install. The only thing necessary to change your version to Pro is to install a v2 license file. You can purchase a license on the main Serviio web site for $25, and you install it in the Serviio console on the main page. Once it's installed, the license is good for all versions of Serviio 2.x. If/when Serviio ever moves to a version 3, then a new license would be needed. But considering how long it took for Serviio to go from version 1.x to 2.x, you're looking at many years down the road. Version 2.0 was release May 2019, while version 1.0 was July 2012. And he hasn't been updating as quickly recently as he did before, probably because he now has children and we know how much time that can take from one's life :D
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

bgaherty

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:11 pm

ATC...would you recommend that I stay with Serviio 2.1 and DSM 6.xx? At least until the "other guys" figure out how to get Serviio 2.x working on DSM 7.xx? Obvisouly, putting aside the Pro version for the time being.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:24 pm

That's tough for me to say. The move to 2.2, 2.2.1 and 2.3 all included some changes that might be important for you. For one, Serviio changed from using theTVDB for TV shows to using theMovieDB for all media. If you have issues getting the correct metadata for your media, that would likely solve it. This page describes the changes, with links to more details. https://www.serviio.org/news

But the issue with DSM7 might be a hard no for you. Again, I don't use a NAS, instead just running Serviio on a Windows 10 computer. I actually have Serviio running on two computers here (I use one for test purposes) as well as one at my daughter's and another at my sister-in-laws. They are all on a Windows 10 PC. And like I said, installing the Pro license on any version is not a problem and will carry over to any future installs/updates.
Dan

Return to Serviio Support & Help