FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

DSD audio files and playback issues .dff .dsd

<<

Paul C

DLNA master

Post Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:01 pm

DSD audio files and playback issues .dff .dsd

I was doing some more testing of DSD audio files which are supported by my Denon media player playing off the Serviio server.
The first DSD samples I tried were .dsf files and they played fine.

I noted that some of the files were .dff and also .dsd (although cannot re-find the latter samples on the net at the moment).
The .dff do not seem to play via Serviio because the file has no metadata so you cannot see it.
The .dff does play on the Denon from a usb stick (because you click the filename).

It is not helped when samples do not have metadata (how stupid) because you cannot edit it with the normal flac/mp3 tag editors.
I read in a computeraudiophile post that .dff does not/cannot have meta data so that is an issue.
You can convert it fom .dff to .dsf (the same or virtually the same) but you still need the metadata editor.
As a result of lack of metadata you then cannot see the files.
Anyone know of a free DSD metadata editor.

The Serviio Generic profile has a mine type
<MediaFormatProfile mime-type="audio/dsd">DSF</MediaFormatProfile>
Does it need other mime types? Or is it pointless if you cannot see the files because of metadata issue?

Advice, clarifications, ideas and comments would be appreciated.
Last edited by Paul C on Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Serviio Pro v2.3, DBpoweramp & Asset UPnP (R7.4), HP Elitebook, HP Pavilion, Windows 10 Pro, Linn Majik DS/1, NEET AirstreamPro renderer, Naim NAC72/NAP140 (x2), Celestion Ditton 25 and Spendor A5 speakers, WD TV Media Player (x2), Panasonic Blu-ray DMP-BDT360, Panasonic TV, Amazon Fire 7 HDX, Kazoo & BubbleUPnP apps, Qobuz Studio Hi-Res.
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:30 am

Re: DSD audio files and playback issues .dff .dsd

There was discussion on this some time ago on the forum - have a search. I think that "it is pointless because of metadata issue" probably summed up where it was left at.

Haven't done any of this but....
DFF to DSF: https://www.signalyst.com/professional.html then you can use something like MP3Tag to add the metadata (DSF is supported).
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
Please do not PM me for support as any solution cannot be shared with others.
<<

Paul C

DLNA master

Post Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:41 pm

DenyAll wrote:There was discussion on this some time ago on the forum - have a search. I think that "it is pointless because of metadata issue" probably summed up where it was left at.

Thanks for your reply.
Strangely I did a search for both "DSD" and "DFF" before my post. Both = zero results.

I agree with your comments. I was just doing a trial.
Meta data as you say is an issue (I thought i had an issue previously with MP3Tag !).
The file sizes are enormous and when you get to DSD128 (5822khz) you are likely to find out if your network is robust.
Samples sound nice but most have an acoustic genre so hardly a wide trial. Strangely it was a Mahler I found in .dff that set me off to explore a bigger sound.

Quite happy with flac. Think I will stick.
Serviio Pro v2.3, DBpoweramp & Asset UPnP (R7.4), HP Elitebook, HP Pavilion, Windows 10 Pro, Linn Majik DS/1, NEET AirstreamPro renderer, Naim NAC72/NAP140 (x2), Celestion Ditton 25 and Spendor A5 speakers, WD TV Media Player (x2), Panasonic Blu-ray DMP-BDT360, Panasonic TV, Amazon Fire 7 HDX, Kazoo & BubbleUPnP apps, Qobuz Studio Hi-Res.
<<

freaknik

DLNA master

Post Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:53 pm

<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:26 pm

DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
Please do not PM me for support as any solution cannot be shared with others.

Return to Serviio Support & Help