FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Serviio not found in VLC

<<

pawnslinger

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:44 am

Serviio not found in VLC

I am having trouble getting VLC to find my main Serviio server. And I am at a loss to really explain what I have done, but I will try.

First, I am a long time Serviio user, first on the free version and now about a year ago, the pro version. A couple of weeks ago, I setup a new server in my home for games (mainly), and would like to start moving my media library over to it (my media library is now located on my personal computer). So anyhow, I just today setup Serviio on my new server and copied a few mp4 files over to it (this will take a long time to fully migrate). And the new install of Serviio is working just fine. The files I have copied over so far are found and playable, just like usual.

But I have lost access to my main library... the Serviio running there, is no longer discoverable by VLC. VLC finds the new server and plays the files , no problem. I have checked dozens of things, the main server is running, it has the correct bound address, other devices in my home can discover the main server, no problem. But VLC on my tablet can no longer find it. So I am stumped. My tablet is an Android ASUS Zen tablet... about a year or so old. Never had a problem playing Serviio before. One other device can''t seem to discover the old Serviio - Roku's media player channel - it can find and play the new Serviio, but it can't discover the old one anymore.

I am stumped.
<<

pawnslinger

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:53 pm

Re: Serviio not found in VLC

Okay, problem fixed.

For some reason, known only to Windows, the Windows Firewall had stopped allowing Serviio thru. It had been working for a long time and no recent updates have been allowed to Windows on that system for about 6 months. So I am not sure how it happened, but once I manually allowed Serviio thru the firewall, it immediately began showing up in network discovery. Sorry for the false alarm.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:19 pm

pawnslinger wrote:Okay, problem fixed.

For some reason, known only to Windows, the Windows Firewall had stopped allowing Serviio thru. It had been working for a long time and no recent updates have been allowed to Windows on that system for about 6 months. So I am not sure how it happened, but once I manually allowed Serviio thru the firewall, it immediately began showing up in network discovery. Sorry for the false alarm.

Unfortunately, this happens occasionally with a major Windows update, in that the firewall settings revert to default. There was probably an update that slipped in when you weren't looking. ;) I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft forced an update even if you had them disabled, probably due to a security issue.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

pawnslinger

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:42 am

You may be right. The computer runs 24/7 and so I don't like uninvited updates to interrupt things. But it sure could have donwloaded and then installed when I did eventually reboot... that does happen.

Return to Serviio Support & Help