FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Resume a Movie on Two TV's

<<

orwell

Serviio newbie

Post Wed May 16, 2018 12:22 am

Resume a Movie on Two TV's

Hi,
I was using Serviio since 2 or 3 years with an excellent performance.
Now i'm having a problem that i could not find the solution.
My network is one pc with 2 Tv's wired.
Both Tv's are Samsung one UN55MU7500 and one UN40F6800.
My version of Serviio is 1.9.1

The problem is that i could not start a movie on one tv and continue watching on the other TV continuiing from the same place i left (in a lot of versions i could do that until now)

Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed May 16, 2018 1:05 am

Re: Resume a Movie on Two TV's

That is dependent on two things. The DLNA server itself must support it, and the TVs themselves must support it. The videos must not be transcoded, or there's no way for Serviio to know when playback stops. And some players just ignore the database field that shows where playback was stopped. I have Samsung TVs, but have never noticed if that was available. It's also possible that one of your TVs supports it and the other doesn't, so it might work from TV A to TV B, but not in reverse.

It sounds like it was working before an update. I don't believe Serviio made any changes to that, but Zip might not give up details of changes to the database. But it's certainly possible that Samsung pushed out an update that changed its behavior. It wouldn't be the first time that something used to work with my Samsung and an update broke it. In fact, I've given up on using the Samsung DLNA player and use either Roku players or my Sony Blu Ray player. In fact, I almost never use the Samsung Smart TV features any longer. For Amazon, Netflix, Vudu or YouTube (my main sources outside of my Serviio server) my Roku Ultra is much better and easier to use than the TV's apps, and the Roku supports 4K HDR well. The Sony is only 1080, and doesn't have a very fancy interface for DLNA playback. But it always works, and that's the most important thing, since my wife uses it the most!
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

orwell

Serviio newbie

Post Thu May 17, 2018 12:55 pm

Hi, thanks for the feedback.
Both TV's support that.
I started a movie on one tv and then continue from that TV and it works ok. Same for the other TV.

The thing is when i started into one tv and want to continue on the other one.

For that situation i think that could be a Serviio issue.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu May 17, 2018 4:06 pm

I'll have to let Zip respond to that. I've never been able to do that with any of my players/TVs. Not certain if the saved position is saved on the server or in the device. If it's in the device there's nothing that Serviio can do. I know Plex allows that, because it stores all usage in the database. But that's only if you use a Plex app, not via DLNA. And I prefer Serviio over Plex for a multitude of reasons.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

bolzass

Serviio lover

Post Thu May 17, 2018 5:28 pm

Agree with you. Position is saved by the renderer, i. e. TV built in app, over DLNA. So I think serviio has nothing to do (@zip will correct me if I'm wrong).
I also use plex, and that is the way (combination of their proprietary TV app and their server). It is nice in first approach, but for a day by day usage -almost DLNA in my case- serviio is much , much better!. From the outside, mediabrowser does the job pretty well as is html5 compliant (wide aupported).

Just my opinion.
L.
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Thu May 17, 2018 7:39 pm

I think it should work.

The position is stored in Serviio and Serviio serves the position to the TV when it's brosing files.
<<

Jimbob

Streaming enthusiast

Post Fri May 18, 2018 5:23 am

Works all the time for me, Often watch something downstairs on 1 tv, move upstairs and carry on from exact same place.

Both very different samsung tv's
<<

bolzass

Serviio lover

Post Fri May 18, 2018 11:57 am

Didn't notice!
Thats cool! (once again, serviio is the greatest one! :D).

I tested it but (as I only have a Sony TV, an old non-smart TV+amazon Fire Stick+Kodi, and the PC -can work through DLNA-, and Serviigo at mobile) doesn't work for me...

It only works through "some" profiles?
<<

orwell

Serviio newbie

Post Sun May 20, 2018 11:08 pm

So, can you help me with the problem?

I could resume on both tv's but if i started a movie on one tv and go to another one it doesn't save the position of the movie.

Thanks !
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Mon May 21, 2018 12:58 am

I suspect this feature will only work if the file is being served natively (no transcoding) on both TV’s.- ensure that is the case.

Never had this work for me but honestly, never tried - something to test when next home....
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
Please do not PM me for support as any solution cannot be shared with others.
<<

Jimbob

Streaming enthusiast

Post Tue May 22, 2018 10:37 am

Transcoding may well be the answer.

I have it disabled, as that way I get the most reliable time bar / ff & rew.

If I need to play something that serviio / my tv doesnt like natively (fairly rare) I jump over to plex, or plex on chromecast, which I normally only use for friends and family and wactching on an old ipad at work.

Poss a little convaluted solution, but it works well for me.
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Tue May 22, 2018 1:56 pm

It only works with Samsung TVs, and probably only on certain file types. Samsung is the only TV that supports this (and it's their own mechanism as well).
<<

Jimbob

Streaming enthusiast

Post Wed May 23, 2018 10:14 am

Seems to work for everything, and over a long period of time too.

I frequently start a film etc Ive not seen for years, to have it start at the ending credits.

Quick play from beginning in the tools menu, job done.

Return to Serviio Support & Help