FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

ExpressVPN paired with Serviio

<<

Tinx

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:32 pm

ExpressVPN paired with Serviio

Hi Guys,
I hope someone can help me get Serviio working properly with ExpressVPN. I only just installed the vpn program and now when I want to watch any of my media on the devices at my house via Serviio I have to switch ExpressVPN off. :( Otherwise the devices don't connect to the server. How do I resolve this? Please help. I would love to have the VPN running all the time but still be able to relax with my tablet and a good movie. Cheers!
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:03 am

Re: ExpressVPN paired with Serviio

Most, if not all VPNs will not allow local network access when you connect to something via the tunnel. This is a security feature. However, if you can access the ExpressVPN settings (for example, I can't change the settings when using a VPN on my work computer because they lock us out of them), there seems to be a setting that can be changed. See this page: https://www.expressvpn.com/support/trou ... an-access/

However, that may only allow the computer with the VPN installed to access the local network. It might not permit other network devices accessing the computer with the VPN. So if it's your Serviio computer that has the VPN installed, this may or may not resolve the issue. That support page doesn't address that specific circumstance.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

randomdude84

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:33 pm

Hi

Just wanted to tell you, its not possible to use Serviio console with ExpressVPN turned on even if u check local access. Had same problem and found only two ways to deal with it:

1 - use ExpressVPN with 'Manage connection on a per app basis' and add Serviio Console to allowed list, kinda making Console use VPN, or:
2 - add web browser to allowed list and type in that specific browser, web console adress: http://localhost:23423/console/#/app/welcome

I think its better to use Console itself since often even if u are using web interface, it doesnt see some new movies i added and when im turning VPN off, after few secs, suddenly Serviio sees new stuff.

Regards
<<

bluefiche

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:34 am

Im Using a Linksys WRT3200acm router with Expessvpn's flashed openWRT. works great. can watch everything, and everything is behind the VPN on my network. worth the $200 investment.
<<

PeterLes

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:53 pm

$200 for that luxury isn't much. Is it hard to set up and maintain though?
<<

Hales Robert

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:16 pm

I am using Linksys WRT1900ac router with Expessvpn's flashed openWRT. It has been over a year since I am using it without facing any issues with Reasonable cost. Though flack friday is near and i think Expressvpn will offer its black friday vpn deal like other so it will be cheaper for you if you go for it through the deal.
Last edited by Hales Robert on Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

freaknik

DLNA master

Post Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:01 pm

Router based vpn is better. I have not used expressvpn or any application based vpn but have used tp-link routers with Gargoyle firmware and they do any vpn, tor, separate ssid for tor network etc, seems much easier and once it's initially set up you change or mess with it as much as any other router setting.

I usually log in a few times a month to the router to see if it's been tampered with but other than that pretty much set it and forget it.

Lol have everything plugged in securely for refrlash.

Return to Serviio Support & Help