FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

CPU intense ffmpeg process on Mac OS X

<<

rainerfrey

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:24 pm

CPU intense ffmpeg process on Mac OS X

I'm using Serviio 1.9.2 on macOS High Sierra (10.13.5) and a Samsung J Series TV. When I try to play some files, I get very high CPU load on my laptop running Serviio, from a ffmpeg process. They don't play on the TV, either I get "file not suppprted", or the screen turns black.I have transcoding disabled in the console, and also burning in subtitles. The files are H.264 as mp4, similar to other files that play. I'm also sure that one of the files played before I installed the update.

Why is there even a ffmpeg process? Shouldn't this only be needed when transcoding? Could there be a bug that the transcoding setting is not honored anymore, and serviio does transcoding even when it is not enabled? What else - apart from transcoding - causes ffmpeg to run (and use so much CPU)?
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:47 pm

Re: CPU intense ffmpeg process on Mac OS X

Ffmpeg is also used when the library is updated. A whole library update can occur after an upgrade depending on the previous version.

Burnedin subtitles is disabled, right? Stacking also forces transcoding I believe (likely not in play here).

If it doesn’t revert to normal after the library update is complete (can take a few hours for major updates), check the detailed log and ensure it’s not “stuck” on one file. It also may tell you what’s happening.
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
Please do not PM me for support as any solution cannot be shared with others.
<<

rainerfrey

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:01 pm

Re: CPU intense ffmpeg process on Mac OS X

Thank you for your pointer. It seems it was indeed related to library update, not playback. I didn't investigate anymore, but I turned thumbnail generation off and never had the problem again. And the files that seemed to be the problem play now.

Return to Serviio Support & Help