FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Duplicate Folder Names In Serviio

<<

psychosmurf

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:29 am

Duplicate Folder Names In Serviio

Hi All,

I apologize if this has been brought up before but I was unable to find a topic that discussed this particular issue and it's driving me to distraction.

I have Serviio running on a Windows 10 1803 box (I know, I know; Win10 is a dog with fleas but it's the only way I can play my games and share my media without buying a second machine) with one shared directory Z:\Video Library that is constructed from giant JBOD arrays via Drive Bender. All told, I have about 120 TB of storage space and at last count 43000+ files which Serviio handles without any problems save for the one I'm about to describe (in fact, it's the ONLY media server I've tried that has been able to handle my library so I have to send major kudos to the programmers for such a great product).

I have Serviio configured to keep the library updated automatically and since maybe the last for or five releases of Serviio, when i drop in new files, Serviio reads and streams the files correctly but the top level directories that show up in the browser (either through my nVidia Shield via Kodi or through a web browser) are duplicated where the new files are dropped into.

For example:

I have a directory called Z:\Video Library\Television where I store my purchased TV video files. Normally when I'm browsing the library, the folder shows up as:

Television

Sometimes, however, when I drop files in and after Serviio picks them up, I see the following:

Television
TELEVSION

The television folder in ALL CAPS is where new files sometimes wind up. Note as well that the FILES aren't duplicated, it's the top level folder names that are duplicated. Everything under TELEVISION is correct except that it's supposed to be in Television.

Of course this is just an example. It's seemingly happening at random with files in any folder that I drop new files into after the library has already been constructed. And there seems to be no consistency in the ALL CAPS folder being created.

I've tried multiple different ways to fix the issue:

-- I've removed and re-added the individual video files but it seems like once they show in that all caps folder that's where they stay, i.e., removing the video files removes the files from the library but when it's added back, it goes right back into the ALL CAPS folder.
-- I've recreated a couple of the files to see if that would solve the issue but unfortunately it doesn't seem to have any effect.
-- I've modified the meta data of the files to see if that would solve the issue but again, no go.
-- I've fiddled with the presentation settings within Serviio with some quite interesting results ( :P ) but nothing that fixed this issue.
-- And about a month ago I went scorched earth and completely rebuilt the library from scratch.

That last bullet did fix the problem: At the offset, everything built fine and all the video files were showing up in the correct folder (even the ones that were in the ALL CAPS folder before) but once I started adding new files, the ALL CAPS folders again started showing up. And while rebuilding does fix the problem, it took almost eight days for my complete library to be rebuilt so that’s an impractical resolution to say the least.

Again, the files play fine from the ALL CAPS folder but it’s just annoying to have two folders show up when I’ve invested a lot of money in a solution that allows me to have my library all in one single folder structure.

So that’s my issue. I wasn’t sure if log files would help since the issues seemingly happens at random but if they will, I’ll be happy to provide them.

Anybody got any ideas?

My Full Rig:

MSI X99A SLI Krait Edition Mainboard
Intel Core i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz
EVGA nVidia GeForce GTX 1080 With 12GB On Board RAM
128 GB G.SKILL Ripjaws System RAM
Samsung EVO 1TB SSD System Hard Drive
Kingston 240 GB SSD Projects Drive
Western Digital Black 1TB Mechanical Installation Drive
Drive Bender 117 TB Storage Drive (2 SA120 DAS Arrays Plus 10 External Hard Drives)

Please let me know if there is any additional information that’s needed and I’ll be happy to provide whatever I can.

Thanks,
D
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:32 pm

Re: Duplicate Folder Names In Serviio

weird. a detailed log of adding a file that ends up in the CAPS folder would help.

Don't you have some (hidden) folder that duplicates the main folder (something related to the FS of DriveBender). I think this is something to do with the FS presenting the files with capsed folder.
<<

psychosmurf

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:12 pm

Thanks for the reply, Zip. I'll provide the log file this afternoon after work.

The FS of DriveBender does duplicate folders across multiple disks and then it stores individual files in those folders based on file balancing algorithms. I did check the raw folder structure on disk after i submitted this and and I didn't see any all caps folder names but I'm not sure if that really means anything.

I'll post the logs as soon as I can this afternoon.
<<

psychosmurf

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:59 am

Hi Zip,

I haven't abandoned this; I'm just having trouble replicating the situation. As I said it seems random what files it chooses to pop into those all caps directories.

I did stumble upon a work-around while trying to replicate the situation: if I rename the folders that the files live in or change the folder structure it seems to reorganize into the correct directory. For example I had Z:\Video Share\Television where all my TV episodes were stored in subfolders that was giving me grief:

Television\SilverHawks
Television\ThunderCats
TELEVSION\SilverHawks
TELEVISION\ThunderCats

That top level folder Television was what was appearing in all caps. In an effort to replicate the all caps placement, I reorganize the lower level folders into alphabetic sub-folders and the library, to my surprise, reorganized to the correct distribution:

Television\S\SilverHawks
Television\T\ThunderCats

Not sure why but there we are. Maybe I'll setup a staging folder in the video directory to let it be as picky as it wants and then move the files into the final destination after they've been added. It's a pain but at least it'll keep things organized.

In the meantime, I'll keep trying to replicate the situation and as soon as I'm able to do that and capture the logs, I'll send them along.

Thanks,
D
<<

psychosmurf

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:19 pm

Hi Zip,

I'm not sure what's going on. I can't duplicate the situation when I try to but it seems to pop up when I'm not looking and by the time I discover it, the log file has already overwritten anything useful. Is there a way to capture additional logging data? I mean Serviio rolls into five log files right now but each is only 500 KB in size which isn't a lot of data for debugging so the log is getting overwritten fairly quickly. Is there a way to increase the size of the log files or to change it so that the log files don't overwrite until I can duplicate this and get it back to you?

Thanks,
D
<<

zip

Post Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:10 am

you can increase the log file in log4j.xml file in the config folder.
<<

psychosmurf

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:40 pm

Hi Zip,

It finally misbehaved (or something misbehaved) while I was watching and I was able to capture the log file. I've attached the archived log file.

As you'll notice, I was adding files to the '_Staging' directory but the files are all showing up in the '_STAGING'.

Please let me know if you need anything else.

D
Attachments
serviio_log.zip
(89.01 KiB) Downloaded 182 times
<<

zip

Post Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:21 am

ok.. What is your shared folder in the console?

Serviio / the OS sees the folder as _STAGING.
<<

psychosmurf

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:31 pm

Hi Zip,

The shared folder is Z:\Video Library. _Staging is a subfolder that exists underneath that directory. On the OS, it's showing up as _Staging (picture attached: _Staging.png). Most of the time, it shows up correctly in Serviio as well (picture attached: Serviio_Staging.png) but this particular time, it was showing in ALLCAPS for some reason. Again, I checked the DriveBender file system and the folder wasn't showing in all caps on any of the underlying drives. I'm at a loss, dude. I mean I can manipulate the files to get them into the correct folder but it's a pain to have to do it that way and once the files are there in the correct folder, there's no guarantee that the scanner won't pick them up again and drop them back into an ALLCAPS folder.

D
Attachments
Serviio_Staging.png
Serviio_Staging.png (35.76 KiB) Viewed 4386 times
_Staging.png
_Staging.png (15.04 KiB) Viewed 4386 times

Return to Serviio Support & Help