FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Serviio Pro remote access failure

<<

serviioadam

Streaming enthusiast

Post Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:47 pm

Serviio Pro remote access failure

My system: OSX, Serviio Pro 1.6.1, static IP, Airport Extreme router, Motorola cable modem

I moved a perfectly working system from one location to another and back again. In the new location, it worked flawlessly after setting up port forwarding (with a Ubee modem). I moved it back to the original location, restored the original static IP (which is also bound to a URL in DNS) in Serviio console, and now, for some reason, remote access fails! Note that local access via the local network IP is fine.

To be clear: port forwarding is still in place on the original modem. The local network has not changed at all.

How to troubleshoot this problem? Will stopping the Serviio process and restarting help? Rebooting the cable modem? I am out of ideas.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:57 pm

Re: Serviio Pro remote access failure

If your MediaBrowser access works fine on the internal network, the the issue has to be with your router. Serviio has no knowledge of where the connection request is coming from, be it something internal to the network or if it''s coming from the router.

I had port forwarding set up on a friend's router at his business, so I could connect to his server from home if he was having a problem. One day the port forwarding failed, and every setting looked perfect. One day he switched from DSL to cable for his Internet, and I configured the new cable modem with the necessary port forwarding. Low and behold, it began working again. So for me, the DSL router was not forwarding correctly based on what appeared to be correct settings. Never did figure out why it didn't work any longer, but it was absolutely the router's fault.

All I can suggest is to triple check your IP settings on the computer, and do the same with all of the port forwarding settings in router. Naturally, power cycle the router to make sure it isn't hung up on that port.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

serviioadam

Streaming enthusiast

Post Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:23 pm

Thanks for the response. I've power cycled the router three times. All local IP addresses are good. Port forwarding has not changed since I originally configured the modem, but I deleted and re-added the forward. No help.

The only thing I haven't done is to power cycle the modem. If you or anyone has any other ideas, I am all ears. This install has performed perfectly in this exact location for years with exactly the settings currently in place.

I'm reluctant to update to 1.9 if 1.6 suddenly goes squirrelly for no apparent reason ... :(
<<

serviioadam

Streaming enthusiast

Post Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:53 pm

@atc98092...

DOH!

You were correct. The local network IP for the server I returned to the system acquired a new IP via DHCP when put it in place because I neglected to set its MAC address to bind to a static IP from the router, and because DHCP assigned an IP next door to the original ( n.n.n.40 vs n.n.n.41) I looked at it five times without noticing.

All is well now. The lesson for others who stumbled on this thread is: machines are dumb. They do EXACTLY what they are told. Network engineers (as I am supposed to be...) need to read every single bit and byte closely.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:13 am

Been there, done that. :lol: Glad you found the issue. :D
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to Serviio Support & Help