FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Serviio Online Sources with IPTV Links

<<

juanduarte

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:27 pm

Serviio Online Sources with IPTV Links

Hi everybody. Im using Serviio with the feature of online sources in combination with my IPTV subscription service (using Online Sources feature).

So far its working fine, im able to add the link corresponding to the channel streams and use it from WebPlayer, Android App, etc. without any problem.

With my IPTV service provider i have a restriccion of concurrent conection (5 devices in 3 different locations/ip).

My question is about how Serviio works when using online sources and concurrent connection limit with my iptv server provider when let me open these links and made them accessible?

in other words Serviio opens the link as a one conection with my IPTV service and then broadcast the stream (lets says internally), counting as only one connection with my IPTV service and manage the connections with Online Sources by its own?

What im looking to do is open a link as online source and be able to open at my Home Lan as many devices as i want (sort of bypassing the concurrent connetion limit of my IPTV service, at least on the same network the serviio server is).

As i mentioned, so far the functionality itself its working fine, i just dont want to be banned or blocked by my IPTV service provider (lets say serviio server opens one concurrent conection with my IPTV server for each device using Online Sources feature, meaning there is no advantage at all in terms of concurrent connections with my IPTV server provider in the use of Online Service to open the IPTV links).

Can you explain a litle bit how this Online source works when use with my IPTV service, regarding the concurrent conection limit with them?

Here is an example of the Online Source link (is not an actual one, just an example)

http://api.iptvservice.tv/play/24870.ts ... k4c2J2YyJ9

Thanks in advance, the product is awesome!!!
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:21 am

Re: Serviio Online Sources with IPTV Links

The Serviio server is the client (only) of your online sources, and all your customer devices are clients of Serviio. So you should not have a problem with the limits.
<<

juanduarte

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:48 pm

Then I think this is a very good combo (Serviio + IPTV service) to broadcast an event at home devices.

Great. Thanks!!
<<

juanduarte

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:32 pm

Hi everybody. I gladly found with the new 2.x release came the multiuser access feature. Working fine so far, however im kind of "testing" concurrent access. Meaning im log in the same username on 2 different devices to see what happens (if the server cuts the conection, let it work, etc)

Its seems like the second log in went thru (no blocking or rejection) but when the 2 devices seems to receive the same or different online source stream, one of them and sometimes both of them keeps with the circle like stopped.

I Would like to know if in effect the server blocks concurrent access? Could you elaborate/explain how is this implemented (if we actually can use the same user twice or more, or is in effect blocked by the server).

Thanks.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:12 pm

What device/player are you using to test the concurrent user access? Perhaps that might have something to do with your playback issue. I personally have never attempted concurrent access, other than having more than one device streaming from Serviio over my local network to DLNA enabled players. And in those cases, the user account isn't utilized at all.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

juanduarte

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:10 pm

Thanks for the reply. I used a samsung Note Smartphone, amazon FireHD Tablet, my W10 Laptop. All experienced the same behaviour. Later i realize the IPTV credentials i was using were for only 1 connection, so I should take that in consideration. I changed a liltle bit the experiment, meaning using one account for only one stream at the time and multiple devices trying to access that stream only (to avoid IPTV account concurrent connection limit).

Im under the impression no matter i assign, lets say one user account to John, for example, John can log in many times and stream concurrently. Could you please clarify if this is true? Cause is nice to have users to assign permissions, but would be nicer that those users cant do concurrently connections unless we have a way (lets say an indicator or something) to allow those concurrent connections in an exact number. what brings me to the start ...limiting concurrent connections beyond such parameter, is that possible?

Thanks
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:36 pm

juanduarte wrote:Im under the impression no matter i assign, lets say one user account to John, for example, John can log in many times and stream concurrently. Could you please clarify if this is true? Cause is nice to have users to assign permissions, but would be nicer that those users cant do concurrently connections unless we have a way (lets say an indicator or something) to allow those concurrent connections in an exact number. what brings me to the start ...limiting concurrent connections beyond such parameter, is that possible?

Thanks

I can't say for certain, but I don't think it works that way. With Netflix, everyone that uses that account is all logging in with the same user account. They might have profiles, but it's still a single account, and they limit the number of streams based on the account you have. The basic account only permits one at a time, the HD is I believe two streams, and the UHD account allows four at a time.

Now as far as Serviio user accounts, I don't think there's any limit to the number of devices that can connect and stream with that name at the same time. But it's something I personally have never tested, so I might be talking out the side of my mouth. :D
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

juanduarte

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:05 am

atc98092 wrote:
juanduarte wrote:Im under the impression no matter i assign, lets say one user account to John, for example, John can log in many times and stream concurrently. Could you please clarify if this is true? Cause is nice to have users to assign permissions, but would be nicer that those users cant do concurrently connections unless we have a way (lets say an indicator or something) to allow those concurrent connections in an exact number. what brings me to the start ...limiting concurrent connections beyond such parameter, is that possible?

Thanks

I can't say for certain, but I don't think it works that way. With Netflix, everyone that uses that account is all logging in with the same user account. They might have profiles, but it's still a single account, and they limit the number of streams based on the account you have. The basic account only permits one at a time, the HD is I believe two streams, and the UHD account allows four at a time.

Now as far as Serviio user accounts, I don't think there's any limit to the number of devices that can connect and stream with that name at the same time. But it's something I personally have never tested, so I might be talking out the side of my mouth. :D

Thanks for your reply. I agree with you, as I said im under the impresion there is no limits whatsoever. And as you say too, Netflix has a different way, but in the end the thing is there is a number of streams allowed, asociate to an account, profile, or whatever name you suit best, because in the end we are talking about workload vs performance, and you cant estimate without having boundaries or limits and a way to enforce it.

Because if one account, user, profile or whatever can be 10, 15 or why not 20, then is just imposible to estimate.

Thanks in advance.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:51 pm

I just made a quick test, using both an iPad and an iPhone (Google Chrome browser on both) and logged into MediaBrowser using the same user name. No problems either logging in or playing different titles. So I think we're good saying there's no user limit when using MediaBrowser. I also used VLC on both devices, but that was just a DLNA connection and both streamed without a problem, as expected.
Dan

<<

juanduarte

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:48 am

atc98092 wrote:I just made a quick test, using both an iPad and an iPhone (Google Chrome browser on both) and logged into MediaBrowser using the same user name. No problems either logging in or playing different titles. So I think we're good saying there's no user limit when using MediaBrowser. I also used VLC on both devices, but that was just a DLNA connection and both streamed without a problem, as expected.

Thanks for your reply, again I agree with your assesment. This could be seen as a good thing, however does not help to enforce estimations of usage.
The escenario im evaluating is a mediaserver on the cloud, but if i cant enforce credentials being reused (even without any limitation) the workload could be easily doubled, tripled, its just imposible to estimate the requirements for a group of users, because they can easily become 10 times or more that amount.

Thanks

Return to Serviio Support & Help