FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Video files missing

<<

ksa

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:32 pm

Video files missing

Hi,
I am running Serviio on a Windows pc and watching media on a Samsung TV.
I have two folders specified - c:\shares\Photos and c:\shares\videos.
Despite the folders' names I have set them up both to include both images and videos. However, when I select the Photos folder on the TV I can only see pictures and no videos in the Photos folder (and vice versa, as far as I remember, but that's not important).
I was thinking that the problem was with the TV, but when I browse into Serviio folder in Windows Explorer on a pc (not the pc on which Serviio is running), I can also only see pictures, no videos.
The video files that are saved together with the .JPG pictures (that I can see) are typically of the types .MTS and .MP4. Neither of them are shown.
I hope that somebody can help my figure out what the problem is. Thanks in advance!
...../Kim
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:27 pm

Re: Video files missing

Your Serviio log might offer a clue what is going on. It's located in C:\Program Files\Serviio\Log. You can attach it here so we can look it over.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

ksa

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:43 pm

Hi Dan,

Thanks for offering your help.

FYI my environment is standard and fully updated Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

I did the following about one and a half hours ago:
1) Stopped the server
2) Changed the log4j.xml file to contain <category name="org.serviio"> -- <priority value="DEBUG"/> -- </category>
3) Restarted the server
The log file did not seem to care about the DEBUG setting. I've attached an extract of the log file, starting earlier today when I upgraded to version 2.1.

I see a lot of problems with standard jpg files (which Serviio refuses to make available). I don't see any entries for the vast majority of the video files that I am missing.

I ran a check on the files in the two folders:
There are 46,929 image files of types 'bmp'(4) 'jpeg'(1) 'jpg'(46,923) 'png'(1)
There are 822 video files of types 'avi'(127) 'm4v'(7) 'mov'(222) 'mp4'(56) 'mpg'(308) 'mts'(54) 'vob'(44) 'wmv'(4)
Funny enough, on the front page of the Serviio console it says that there are 822 video files and 46,599 image files.

It look as if ALL video files are missing, in addition to a fairly large number of image files.
For example, I said that I am specifying two folders in my library: Photos and Videos
The Videos folder contains only 62 files of the types AVI MOV VOB
However, the Serviio rendering of this folder shows exactly ZERO files.
This must be something new, as I have watched these videos on my TV earlier.

I hope this information may give you or others a clue. Let me know if I can supply any other information to help the investigation.
Thanks!
Attachments
2021-03-11 KSA log 1.txt
(256.43 KiB) Downloaded 148 times
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:22 am

For some reason the log did not switch to debug mode. If you changed the correct line in the log4j.xml file, you likely need to either restart the Serviio service, or more easily just reboot the computer.

Looks like your computer has the IP address of 192.168.1.151. If that's not a static IP, or at least configured as a reserved address in your router/DHCP server, you should consider making it static. That way devices don't have to search for a device on an address that might have changed. Has nothing to do with this issue, just a suggestion.

There's all sorts of errors like this: Skipping processing metadata for an unsupported file (C:\Shares\Photos\Andrea & Jesper\2010\trelleborg '10\MOV00123.AVI). Message: Unknown video file type.

I've usually only seen that message if there was an issue with the file itself, usually if the file was corrupted. Depending on its contents, that is one possibility.

However, one more thing occurred to me. When you configured your shared library folders, there are checkboxes for the type of media in that folder. One for audio, video and image. If you only checked one of those boxes, that might be why only photos appear when you browse the Photos folder. It also might explain why Serviio is not finding the file type when it's adding the media to the database. You can select more than one of those checkboxes, so mixed media in the same folder should work.

I don't have mixed media in the same folder. My videos are all within folders that I have delegated as videos, music in audio folders. I don't have any images, other than a few DVD cover images. And come to think of it those don't appear when I browse that folder from MediaBrowser either, and I wouldn't expect them to.

I just tried adding an image to a video folder, and changed the setting in the console permitting images to be stored there. It still did not appear when I browsed the folder through the video presentation. I enabled the Image presentation, and then I could see the folder and the image. But within the image view I couldn't see any videos.

So, I think Serviio is working as designed. When you're in the folder presentation, you only see the media that pertains to that folder view. So I don't see any way to access both videos and images within the same folder at the same time. I'm sure you have a purpose for having them within the same folders, but I'm not recognizing a reason for doing so.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

ksa

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:39 am

Hi,
I rebooted the pc and now DEBUG is active. During start-up it filled 6 files, each 5 MB with stuff, so I don't have information from the beginning.
The amount of information (or at least the no. of characters ;-) is overwhelming and probably for the most part uninteresting.
I have included a small extract dealing with one video file that apparently should be visible in the library, but it is not.

The IP address of the computer is statically defined in the router.

I already said earlier that I have specified the folders to contain both images and videos, i.e. I have already have the two checkboxes checked. So nothing new there.

Most of my folders contain pics and videos from one family or other event, which makes it very appropriate to keep pictures and videos together.

"So, I think Serviio is working as designed. " Well, to me it definitely looks like a bug. I've programmed professionally for 40 years, so I usually recognize a bug when I smell it ;-) Since it is possible to specify that a folder can contain both pictures and videos, it should work. Otherwise that setting does not make sense at all.

Think I'll have to shop for a more mature product, but thanks for trying to help.
Attachments
2021-03-12 KSA log 2.txt
(42.96 KiB) Downloaded 139 times
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:52 pm

"As designed" simply means that's the way the developer (who is not me :)) expects it to work. I can't say if it makes sense his way or your way. I can see the value of both sides. Based on the other products I've used in the past (Plex, Emby), they too only show videos when the user is in the video section. Plex doesn't give the ability to browse by folder, so that would never be available. I can't recall with Emby, but I don't think it does either.

I wish you success as you search for a product that meets your needs. :)
Dan

Return to Serviio Support & Help