FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

QNAP Sleep problem

<<

ndserviio

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:20 pm

QNAP Sleep problem

I have recently set my QNAP NAS to automatically sleep overnight. This seems to be causing issues with Serviio - after the NAS resumes from sleep, Serviio no longer seems to appear as a DNLA server to XBox Media Player, or Windows.

Stopping and starting Serviio on the NAS fixes the problem until the next sleep.

Are there any workarounds for this?

Thanks

Nick
<<

cmakula

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:10 pm

Re: QNAP Sleep problem

I know QNAP runs crontab to schedule tasks, similar to Linux. You should be able to use that to schedule a service stop and start after the daily wake time once configured using SSH on the QNAP and PuTTY on a computer. Although I'm not sure what the command would be (it would depend on the installation location of the serviio application), but should fix the issue for your Serviio installation, at least in theory.

I use QNAPs for work all the time, but have never tried to run Serviio from one of them...We just use them for bulk storage. I have enabled SSH on them before to transfer data to them using SFTP.

I use a Synology NAS at home, which comes with its own set of application support issues involving Serviio.

As a result, I just use a leftover retired, refurbished email server to live out its "golden years" running Serviio at home. Easier to support; Easier to maintain.

You may be able to do similar without actually needing to add any hardware. If your QNAP is Intel/AMD based and has enough RAM installed, you could add a VM, run sleep/wake schedules on the VM as well, and run your Serviio services from the VM instance,,, So, another possible solution...

Good Luck.
:ugeek:
Serviio Server - Dell PowerEdge R420, Dual Xeon E5-2420, 4x120 GB SSD RAID 0, 64 GB RAM (Serviio running from RAMdisk), 4 NICs (aggregated to LAN), 10Gbe to NAS, Ubuntu 22.04.1 Minimal
NFS File Server - Synology DS1517+, 20TB disk space (5x4TB), 4 NICs (aggregated to LAN), 10Gbe to Serviio Server

Return to Serviio Support & Help