FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Serviio server disconnection issue

<<

JohnCoool

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:24 pm

Serviio server disconnection issue

Serviio does not disconnect when network or WIFI is disconnected. But it does disconnect when the router is restarted.

The power goes down a couple times a day which caused this issue for me.

The only way to get it to work again is to stop and start the server again from the console.

Is there a way to solve this?
<<

carlos49er

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:36 pm

Re: Serviio server disconnection issue

I'm guessing its the ARP cache clearing when the router restarts. Try setting a IP reservation for your Serviio on the router.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:04 pm

Carlos likely has hit on your issue. With a server process like Serviio (or any other server based application), it's best to have a static IP address for the computer running the process. That way it never has to search for it at a different address. If your router offers an IP reservation process (most but not all do), that is the easiest way to handle it. Then the computer will always have the same IP address on your network.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

JohnCoool

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:54 am

I don't think that is the issue.

I have reserved the IP addresses for all my devices because I need that to control which devices can access Serviio. Not all the devices on the network are mine so I need some of them to be blocked.

As you may already know. Serviio has the option to allow access for just the selected devices.

However, I have the Router IP blocked from accessing Serviio. I will unblock it and test it.
<<

JohnCoool

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:49 am

I did some tests and made sure to stop and start the server for each test, but resulted in fails.

I tried to unblock the Router IP and to make the same reserved address on the device as static just in case.

Do you have other suggestions?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:32 pm

Afraid I have no other ideas. My router never goes down, as I have a UPS powering it so even a short power failure keeps it running. I've been using Serviio for about 10 years now, and never encountered a disconnect issue. My Windows PC has all power savings disabled, so it never sleeps or loses network connection.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

JohnCoool

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:41 pm

Latest update!

I turned Serviio on the other PC to check something. I noticed that I did not disconnect when the power went out but it did on main PC.

The difference between the two is that.

The main system is running on Windows 8.1 connected to 5Ghz WIFI connection. Has Audio and Video media.

The backup system is running on Windows 10 2.4 GHz. Only has one online source running that is from localhost. (That was done when I created a Serviio WIKI solution for casting media on any system).

I will test later to see if the same configuration will get it to work.

The router is dual band and I do have UPS but it is hooked up to the family TV system but might hook it up to the WIFI in the future.
<<

JohnCoool

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:59 am

All tests also failed.

Update on the original post.

The issue occurs any time the WIFI is disconnected for a couple of minutes or more.
<<

JohnCoool

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:24 pm

Since there is no known solution for it.

I solved it by configuring the Task scheduler to trigger an event that will restart the Serviio service each time the WIFI is connected to the network and it is working well.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:42 pm

Sometimes a simple workaround is better than beating your head against the wall trying to resolve something :D Glad you found something that works for you.
Dan

Return to Serviio Support & Help