FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Serviio Ignores Moved Files

<<

eewiz

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:55 am

Serviio Ignores Moved Files

Hello
I had a music folder "ROCK" with too many files.
It would take several minutes for my Roku to open the folder and sometimes the large number of files would cause my Roku to reboot.
So I went to the folder in question and created a folder named "0" and moved about 1/10 of the files into it .... to end with folder "9" with the last 1/10 of the files moved into it.
So then I was left with the original "ROCK" folder with only 10 new folders in it named "0" through "9" and all of the files now moved into those ten new folders.
I did not have "Search for updates of currently shared files" checked. So I checked it and hit the "Force refresh" button.
Serviio's file count started downward to end lower by the amount of files that I had moved.
It has never re-indexed those same old files that now reside in the new "0" through "9" folders.
When viewed in the Roku, the "ROCK" folder has disappeared, the same as if the "ROCK" folder was simply empty.
I have learned that Serviio does not index and Roku does not display empty folders.
Except that the "ROCK" folder is not empty. It contains ten folders which contain all of the original files.

Am I doing something wrong?
Is there a way to force Serviio to re-index the files?

Thank You
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:50 am

Re: Serviio Ignores Moved Files

Serviio should certainly see any subfolders within a directory that is in the Serviio shared library settings. I have numerous folders with subfolders within them, mostly for different TV series. I would be curious if your Serviio log file shows any issues reading the subfolders. I suppose one way to completely force a reload of the entire structure would be to remove that shared library location completely from Serviio, give it a few minutes to clean up the database, then add the location back into the shared library.

If it's still not reading them, then my guess is a permissions issue. You didn't mention what operating system you're using. If it's a Mac or Linux, it's possible the new folders you created have permissions set that does not allow the Serviio service to read the folders. With Windows, new folders are generally created for full read rights for everyone, and one must change the permissions if you want it tightened down. When you're using a -nix OS (which both Mac and Linux are), newly created folders are more likely to be more restrictive than that.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

eewiz

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:55 am

Re: Serviio Ignores Moved Files

Thank you, thank you, thank you.
My Serviio is hosted on a Truenas server and it was a permissions issue.
With very much sweat and effort I managed to get serviio installed in that Truenas Server over a year ago.
I'm a 40 year DOS/Windows guy. Windows problem? I can fix it.
Truenas BSD, not so much.
The parent folder's permissions are drwxrwxrwx+.
Yet the children "0" through "9" folders ended up with drwxrwx---+ permissions.
I do not understand why the children did not receive the parents permissions on creation.
I suppose it could be because I created the new folders through a SAMBA share from my Windows box.
Now I'll go Google to find whatever that "777" command is so I can fix the permissions.

Again, thank you very much. I may never have figured it out without your help.

All for now

Return to Serviio Support & Help