FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Folder graphic vs file graphic

<<

truff63

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:00 pm

Folder graphic vs file graphic

Zip, Im new to Serviio but find it and excellent DLNA server. Im running Serviio 2.3 on a windows 10 box, serving to a Roku Ultra hooked to my tv.

I did run into one item that I'm unable to figure out. I organize my audio, video & images in folders with several files in a folder; I may have several movie releases/sequels in a folder, family pics in folders by year, ect. I find that the metadata retrievel you have in place is excellent and very helpful but one specific feature to be a bit distracting. the image you grab for a movie or tv series episode is promoted to the folder image above where the actual video file is stored, same is true with pictures. so my folders have a picture of one specific item in the folder which may or may not entirely reflect what is in the folder.

for me it would be nice to have a selection to mark 'shared folders' as "Folder(s) use Icon Only" and the actual audio/video/image files have the thumbnail image. is that possible? I can attach settings if you need them.

fyi, i will be going PRO to support you but, right now i dont think I need any of the PRO features, I am a coffee mug collector and if you offered a coffee mug with your logo and app name I would probably get that as part of my order. just a thought.

Again, thanks for excellent software, hope to hear from you soon.
-- Tim
<<

petertalbot

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:05 am

Re: Folder graphic vs file graphic

I have the same gripe. My music is organised into a hierarchy of folders, and there's a Folder.jpg in every folder, but it isn't shown in the client (VLC) for those folders which only contain it and other folders. (if the DNLA client selects Pictures then the folder graphics do appear.) A workaround is to make an MP3 file with nothing in it, and put it in every folder that doesn't already have MP3 files. I don't know whether this is a bug or a feature, but it would perhaps be nice to have an optional setting to show album art in folders which do not contain music files.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:31 pm

Re: Folder graphic vs file graphic

Peter, while I have found VLC to be an excellent player app, its user interface leaves much to be desired. I suspect your issue is more VLC than Serviio, although I can't say for certain. I have VLC on my Android players, mostly for testing purposes. I find Kodi is a far better player for my family's use, and displays metadata that VLC ignores.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to Serviio Support & Help