FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

How Can I Stream From My WD Home Cloud

<<

JoelETVWiFi

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:41 pm

How Can I Stream From My WD Home Cloud

Hello,

I am new to Serviio and I am streaming my photos from my Server and I got it all working fine. Now, I have a WD Home Cloud which I am trying to stream my Photos from.

Does anyone have any idea or know how to direct me on how to do this. I am using the Roku TV Player to stream this Photos.

Anyone's input and assistance will be greatly appreciated.

~Joel
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:59 pm

Re: How Can I Stream From My WD Home Cloud

You add the NAS location as a UNC, not as a drive letter. UNC looks like this: \\NAS-Name\NAS-Folder-Name

The other thing you need to know is that on a Windows installation, Serviio has very limited network privileges, and it's possible that it won't have access to that NAS location. One way to resolve that is to change the Windows user account that Serviio uses. By default it uses a basic local Windows service, which is why it only has limited network access. You can change the user account Serviio uses in the Services app in Windows to the same account you use to log into Windows. Then Serviio can access everything your user account can, including network resources.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

JoelETVWiFi

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:43 am

Hello Dan,

I appreciate your reply, as I mention in my first post, I am very new to this. So I am quite confused on what you are trying to explain to me. Is there any chance we can do this in a way that will be more explanatory. I am more than willing to compensate you for your time if necessary. Please let me know if you are willing to spare a hand with this. I will really appreciate this.

Thanks,

Joel..
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:31 am

Sure Joel,

I already gave you an example of what a UNC network address looked like. Here's an example of what one of my personal UNCs look like on my network: \\server\Movies1 Server is the name of my primary media computer running Windows 10. Yeah, original name... :) Movies1 is the name of the share that I created when I set up the share. Notice the left leaning lines. That's the key directly above your Enter key on your keyboard, and it's critical to enter the two lines at the beginning and the single line between the NAS name and the share name.

You are using what is called a Network Attached Storage (NAS) device. You probably do its configuration using a web browser. You have network shares that are the places you copy your media files into, for access across your home network. That network share has a shared name, and although I'm not familiar with the WD Home Cloud, my guess is the web page you use to make any changes probably has that full share name listed somewhere.

Once you figure out the share name of your NAS folder, you enter it into the Serviio console as a Shared Folder location on the Library tab. Click the Add button, select the type of media (audio, video or image) and enter the shared network name in the Folder box. Serviio will display the path name by default, or you can give it a cleaner name in the Display Name text box. If your media contains movie or TV show episodes, check the box that says "Retrieve Descriptive Metadata", so Serviio can retrieve information about the title. For now, leave the remaining boxes alone, press OK at the bottom of the screen, then press Save at the bottom of the window you have returned to.

You have now successfully added your shared library folder. But here's where you might run into permissions issues accessing the networked location. If Serviio isn't showing your media (it should begin appearing within seconds), then we need to alter the user account that Serviio uses to run its service. Again, I'm speaking only to Windows, as I don't have experience with MacOS and very little Linux experience,

ou need to know the user name and password that you use to log into your computer. Now, click on the Search bar at the bottom of your screen and enter "Services". It will return a list with the Services app listed at the top (probably the only item returned). Open that app and you will see a list of all the services that run in the background on your computer. There's a lot of them, aren't there! Scroll down to find Serviio, then double-clink on it. The box that opens has four tabs across the top, You want the one labeled Log On. Click that tab. You will see that Serviio is using the Local System account. This user account has very little network access, so we need to change the user account to your personal account. Click the "This account" button and then click "Browse..." In the box that opens, type in your user name and click Check Names. If you entered the name correctly, it will fill in the name with more data. Once you have that, click OK. This returns you to the Log On tab, where you have to enter your password (twice). Windows does not validate you entered the correct password, so if you enter it wrong it won't tell you. Now click OK to close the box.

Assuming you entered the name and password correctly, you have successfully changed the user account that Serviio uses to run. However, it's not using that name yet. You need to restart the service one of two ways. You can either reboot the computer, or simply right click on Serviio in the Services list and select Restart.

If everything was entered correctly, you should now begin seeing your media populate in Serviio. Depending on the number of titles you have, it might take several hours to load all of the titles and retrieve the metadata.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to Serviio Support & Help