FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

[SOLVED] (Sort of) Remote Access Advanced Settings Disabled

<<

Riversiderepeat

Streaming enthusiast

Post Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:52 pm

[SOLVED] (Sort of) Remote Access Advanced Settings Disabled

EDIT: For anyone looking for an "solution" to the issue of advanced settings being disabled, the "solution" here is not actually a solution, but the realization that advanced settings being disabled actually at this time does not affect the functionality of Serviio server. The settings are still disabled for me, however the server is fully functional online regardless of failing tests or disabled settings. Here's the original post:

Not sure how to reenable it. Never seen it disabled before and have been having some intermittent internet connectivity issues since purchasing a new cable router (Nighthwawk). Unsure if that might be related. The connectivity tests in Serviio are failing. Port forwards are properly set. I have a Subsonic server running alongside with no issues.
Last edited by Riversiderepeat on Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
SYSTEM:
Mac High Sierra 10.13.6 on iMac

Yes it's old. Yes it's outdated. No I'm not going to upgrade. I make it work anyway, and it does.

So far... 8-)
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:23 pm

Re: Remote Access Advanced Settings Disabled

I'm not home right now, so can't access my server console to look at it. Would you confirm you have Serviio Pro (the paid version)? Remote access is only available with the Pro version. I did just try connecting to MediaBrowser from my hotel and it worked fine, so remote access is still working for me.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

Riversiderepeat

Streaming enthusiast

Post Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:18 am

Yes it is pro. 2.3.

Also, my router is now Netgear Nighthawk C7000v2. I only use internet access rarely so I can't say this is very informative but I was able to access over internet before I changed my router to the latter from whatever Arris(?) I was renting from Comcast. And, the option wasn't previously disabled (greyed out).

Trying to eliminate some monthly expenses as I am on a very limited income atm. It can be a pain but I'm one stubborn old fart and determined to make it work. :D
SYSTEM:

Yes it's old. Yes it's outdated. No I'm not going to upgrade. I make it work anyway, and it does.

So far... 8-)
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:35 am

I won't be home until Friday evening, but I'll try to remember to check my settings and see if they're grayed out or not. At least eliminate one possible issue.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

Riversiderepeat

Streaming enthusiast

Post Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:26 pm

Well, I do have a memory like a sieve so let's get one possibility out of the way anyway:

I can't remember if connectivity checks fail if that option is greyed out anyway? If memory serves correctly, it doesn't matter. Maybe my memory is wrong?
SYSTEM:

So far... 8-)
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:22 pm

Yeah, I think mine shows a failed connectivity check, but I can still access my server remotely. When I switched to Comcast, I could never get their modem port forwarding to work, so I gave up and put it in bridge mode and installed my own router to handle the firewall, WiFi, DHCP and routing for my network. Worked like a breeze ever since. But since you own your modem, you should have full access to all settings (many of mine were locked by Comcast and they wouldn't let me control them).
Dan

<<

Riversiderepeat

Streaming enthusiast

Post Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:39 pm

atc98092 wrote: (many of mine were locked by Comcast and they wouldn't let me control them).

By "locked" do you mean they appeared disabled in the console? Or are you talking about router controls users have been locked out of if using Concast (<<-that's intentionally spelled :D ) routers?
SYSTEM:

So far... 8-)
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:25 pm

Riversiderepeat wrote:
atc98092 wrote: (many of mine were locked by Comcast and they wouldn't let me control them).

By "locked" do you mean they appeared disabled in the console? Or are you talking about router controls users have been locked out of if using Concast (<<-that's intentionally spelled :D ) routers?

Locked by Comcast in their router, and the functions were disabled on both the app and the web interface for controlling the modem. No way to change the 2.4 GHz radio mode, no way to change the channel number or width. I could turn the radios on/off and give the two bands different SSIDs (which I did), but very little else could be changed.
Dan

<<

Riversiderepeat

Streaming enthusiast

Post Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:17 pm

DISREGARD
Last edited by Riversiderepeat on Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SYSTEM:

So far... 8-)
<<

Riversiderepeat

Streaming enthusiast

Post Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:51 pm

Remember when I said I have a memory like a sieve? Me neither.

It helps to remember what the actual access address is from the web. That "mediabrowser" must follow the port. *HEADSMACK!*

And same here, although the Serviio tests don't work, it's still accessible.

So I do have web access, but it is still curious why the advanced settings are disabled.
SYSTEM:

So far... 8-)
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:04 pm

Yes, I was only referring to the Comcast modem. I rent mine because it's $5 per month cheaper for unlimited data if I rent the modem, which comes with unlimited. If I provided my own modem the data plan costs more. But control over the settings is why their modem is simply in bridge mode and I use my own Linksys router.

I have to wait until I get home tomorrow to remember what settings are available under the Advanced menu. I use a free DDNS service since I don't have a static IP address from Comcast (they probably charge for those as well). I'm on my work network right now, which blocks access to the URL domain my DDNS uses, so I can't connect to MediaBrowser right now. And I don't have my console exposed to the Internet, so I can't review the settings until I get home.
Dan

<<

Riversiderepeat

Streaming enthusiast

Post Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:02 pm

Interesting. You must have a much different package/agreement than I. As far as I can tell, returning both my modem/router and one extra tv box I'm saving $25 a month with no changes to the charge for services. Mine is also unlimited data, but I'm well aware that if you push that it's not truly unlimited at all.
SYSTEM:

So far... 8-)
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:22 pm

I have no TV service, just Internet and Voice. My Internet is truly unlimited, with no speed caps above a certain usage. Renting the modem costs $25 per month, but unlimited data is $30 per month if I didn't rent their modem. It's not much, but hey, $5 is $5. :D
Dan

<<

Riversiderepeat

Streaming enthusiast

Post Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:03 am

My TV service is through Comcast but not billed directly because it's through the landlord. Just extended basic, which I rarely even use. It's included in our rent. I only get billed for internet and any extra cable services, which are no longer necessary now that I stream through Roku using whatever needs authorizing from Xfinity through apps on that and other apps I do pay for, which is only a few.

Other than that I have only internet through them, which was the bulk of my personal bill, and now 100% of it since ditching the rental equipment. I've actually been using Google Voice for my phone service for years. No bill at all for that. :D
SYSTEM:

So far... 8-)
<<

Riversiderepeat

Streaming enthusiast

Post Fri Aug 04, 2023 5:01 pm

So apparently advanced settings may be disabled globally. I haven't checked everywhere, in part because I don't remember where they all are but also I just don't have the time atm, but I was just in editing access to a shared folder for a new user and advanced settings in there is also disabled.

Curiouser and curiouser... :ugeek:
SYSTEM:

So far... 8-)
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:23 am

OK, I'm home now and just opened the console on my test server. When you look at the Remote tab, the Advanced Settings appears grayed out and when you click it, nothing happens. HOWEVER: all the way on the right of the page there's a plus sign. Click that, and the Advanced Settings opens! I think Zip used a font that makes it look like it's disabled when it isn't.

There's only one setting here, and this is the description:
If you use a custom domain name or a static IP address assigned by your ISP, enter it here. You can also specify which port you use for your remote http and https access.

Not certain if that was what you were looking for, but that's all I see under Advanced.

I checked my main server, and it was the same way. I do have my custom domain name entered here for my main server. But when I click the Check Connectivity button it reports a failure. But I know for a fact it works fine, as I tested it from the hotel earlier this week.
Dan

<<

Riversiderepeat

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sat Aug 05, 2023 4:48 pm

Yup. There it is! I use a custom domain as well, which is part of why I want to open that.

I could barely see the plus sign. A choice of font blending in that well with the background makes me wonder if he did it purposefully to discourage noobs from messing up their connectivity. I use to use white on white or black on black for admin links on websites. Not that it fooled any hackers worth their salt but it helped keep the kiddie hackers somewhat.

Thanks Dan! All good again here!
SYSTEM:

So far... 8-)

Return to Serviio Support & Help