FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

how to force database update via command line

<<

manfred

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:55 pm

how to force database update via command line

Hi All,

I have serviio running on old macbook machine managing disk connected to router. sometimes I load torrent from 2 different pcs in my house and my goal is to use OSX commandline from whatever machine in the house(ssh to macbook pc) different then load/unload org.serviio.server.plist . is there such command which forces database update(sometimes it's stuck) which I could use avoiding stopping and running server again?

thanks
M
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:16 am

Re: how to force database update via command line

I know of nothing that would reload the DB by itself. But you probably could use a script to stop and restart the Serviio processes. That should stop and start the DB process, and fix any lockup.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

manfred

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:34 am

atc98092 wrote:I know of nothing that would reload the DB by itself. But you probably could use a script to stop and restart the Serviio processes. That should stop and start the DB process, and fix any lockup.

hmmm nothing like "refresh" ,,,,, service.... something which tell serviio server to go and look for new files. i know script possibility but unload and load seems to me like too much
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:31 pm

The Serviio console does have functions to refresh the library locations, which will update the DB with any changed files (added or removed). You can also stop and start some of the services (but not the core Serviio service) from the console. But again, I know of no command line ability to trigger those functions.

Serviio does publish the API commands that can be used externally. You might find something in there to do what you want: https://serviiocds.docs.apiary.io/#introduction/preface
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

manfred

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:48 pm

thanks for replies. i found the way to get this working the way I need.

off topic but I would like to know if I can install serviio directly on the router where I flashed developer rom with SSH access.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:08 am

manfred wrote:off topic but I would like to know if I can install serviio directly on the router where I flashed developer rom with SSH access.

Serviio is available for a number of NAS devices, but I don't think any of them would work on a router. There's not enough operational memory on a router, and since there are so many different chipsets that run on routers, it would likely be a nightmare to cover more than a handful of them.
Dan

<<

manfred

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:51 pm

i see, so 512MB of RAM is not enough right? as i see on my router highest usage peak when 2 pcs are running torrent clients , i am watching 2K stream on my apple TV and my girlfriend nother 2K stream on another TV max 12 percent . i never saw higher usage of processor than 12 percent lol...
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sat Oct 07, 2023 6:04 pm

manfred wrote:i see, so 512MB of RAM is not enough right? as i see on my router highest usage peak when 2 pcs are running torrent clients , i am watching 2K stream on my apple TV and my girlfriend nother 2K stream on another TV max 12 percent . i never saw higher usage of processor than 12 percent lol...

It's more than the RAM. It's storage for the database as well as the application itself, plus it needs the Java runtime. On my Windows PC, the Serviio application takes 582 MB of disc space, and Serviio is using 260MB of RAM while just running and doing nothing. If transcoding is called for, then FFMPEG is going to need to run as well, which few routers would be able to handle. Even some lightweight NAS devices can't handle even simple transcoding, such as audio only.
Dan

<<

manfred

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:59 pm

I see thanks for the reply. this is out of hand now and not possible on my router although it has 1TB disk built in. probably processing power would not be sufficient for transcoding.
but some strongest routers these days they could manage to be powerful enough to handle serviio.i plan to buy this router in near future
Xiaomi WiFi 7 router, model BE7000. This router is based on the Qualcomm Networking Pro 820 architecture and has a quad-core A73 1.5GHz CPU with up to 28800 DMIPS of processing power.I think 28800 DMIPS should be more than enough to handle serviio.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Oct 08, 2023 6:26 pm

It would handle the basic DLNA media streaming, but it's still not sufficient for transcoding. Of course, if your media is all in formats supported by your players, then transcoding isn't needed. My Nvidia Shield players don't require any transcoding, but my Roku devices do, depending on the codecs and containers involved.

But as mentioned, Serviio is offered in Windows, Mac, Linux versions, and two NAS devices supported (QNAP and Synology), which are branches of the Linux version. Both of those NAS builds are expecting the memory and processing power to support Serviio. No router has that kind of power. Adding an external drive to the router doesn't give the router the ability to run applications (such as Serviio) from the external drive. There has to be space on the system memory for it, and that simply doesn't exist on routers.
Dan

<<

manfred

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:29 pm

some routers as mine has built in HDD(not external) /which in my case is as sata HDD. and yes I dont think transcoding would be required in my case. mostly i stream mkv files which are not compressed at all.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:05 pm

MKV is a container, and it can contain any number of audio and video codecs, along with captions tracks. Those codecs could be compressed, or simply might not be compatible with your chosen player. Don't focus on the container, and it can mislead you. :)
Dan

Return to Serviio Support & Help