FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

help specifying network name

<<

hspindel

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:19 am

help specifying network name

Hello,

I have two copies of serviio running, one on Windows, one on Linux.

On the Windows machine, I can specify a networked library with the UNC syntax \\server\folder. This works great.

On Linux when I try the exact same syntax and hit OK and save, the library path displayed is changed to: /\\server\folder
If I instead try forward slashes (//server/folder), the library path is displayed as: /server/folder (that is, the leading // is replaced by /)

In both cases the television recognizes the library name but says "no content".

I understand why there would be no content if the network path is not specified correctly. But I have been unable to come up with a network path syntax that works, although I've tried multiple combinations of forward and backward slashes. I also tried the Library Refresh button just to be sure. The log says that the library scan started and completed.

How do I correctly specify a UNC name for Linux serviio?

The only way I could get serviio to access the networked library was to mount it on the Linux filesystem and then specify the local path. This works fine, but is less desirable than accessing the share by its UNC name.

Thank you.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:39 pm

Re: help specifying network name

When I experimented with Linux, I could never get a UNC to work for a library location. I finally succeeded by making a remote link to a local folder (I forget exactly what it's called) so the remote files appeared to be on the local machine. But that was the only way I could make it work.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

hspindel

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:21 am

atc98092 wrote:When I experimented with Linux, I could never get a UNC to work for a library location. I finally succeeded by making a remote link to a local folder (I forget exactly what it's called) so the remote files appeared to be on the local machine. But that was the only way I could make it work.

Thank you for the reply. I can't find any info about how to make a link on a Linux machine refer to a remote folder. Symlinks only work with the target on the local machine. So I can only symlink if I mount the remote filesystem first.

Do you remember any more details about what you did?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:26 am

I believe what I did was mount the remote file location. Your comment sounds familiar. Once it was mounted, then it appeared as a local file folder and Serviio could access it.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

hspindel

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:47 am

atc98092 wrote:I believe what I did was mount the remote file location. Your comment sounds familiar. Once it was mounted, then it appeared as a local file folder and Serviio could access it.

Yes, that is exactly what I'm doing. Frustrating that specifying a network location works under Windows but not under Linux.

I note that the serviio website says that support is only given through this forum. I hope a serviio support tech is reading this.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:17 am

Serviio has no tech support. It has a single person that wrote the programming: Zip. He is all there is, but he's quite a good programmer.

If I recall a previous conversation on this topic, it's a limitation of the Java programming language, or perhaps the Java runtime. Serviio is written in Java, so any limitation of the language is something the programmer has to live with.
Dan

<<

hspindel

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:32 am

atc98092 wrote:Serviio has no tech support. It has a single person that wrote the programming: Zip. He is all there is, but he's quite a good programmer.

If I recall a previous conversation on this topic, it's a limitation of the Java programming language, or perhaps the Java runtime. Serviio is written in Java, so any limitation of the language is something the programmer has to live with.

Wow, only one guy! Pretty fantastic job.

I am actually a retired programmer with significant Java experience. I did not encounter any networking limitations, but perhaps this is a corner of the Java ecosystem I never explored.

Return to Serviio Support & Help