FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Music play delay

<<

PeeDub

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:16 pm

Music play delay

Since December, I have noticed that some folders of music take a long time to begin playing, or transition from one song to the next. But just songs in that folder. I am running:

Windows 11 Pro 64 bit
32 GB RAM
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor 3.80 GHz
Storage: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB

I now have about 38,000 music files in my Serviio catalog. All of them are stored in a 500GB partition on the Samsung drive. The drive currently has 149GB of free space, so nowhere near full.

When attempting to play music from some folders, there is a significant delay before the track will begin playing. I experience this on the ServiiGo app on my phone, on the DLNA player on my Sony Bravia television, AND on the Media Browser in Chrome on the PC hosting Serviio and the library. So, the issue doesn't seem to be player related. The files do eventually play. Again - this has not been the case with ALL items added since December, but I am noticing it more frequently since December.

Any suggestions?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:34 am

Re: Music play delay

Well, there's been no changes to Serviio for well over a year. Since nothing there has changed, and you experience the problem with multiple players, the finger points at the server OS, in this case Windows 11. My two servers are still on Windows 10, and I experience no such slowdowns. Of course, I don't have anywhere close to the number of titles that you have (I'm around 6600 video files). Microsoft does have a history of releasing updates that cause issues with existing software operations.

Can you confirm what version of Serviio you're running? You do know that using an SSD for media streaming is not the best for longevity of the drive? I have SSDs for the OS drive on all my computers, but my media storage is all on separate standard 3.5" hard drives. Also, having your media on a drive separate from the OS eliminates any conflictions between the media streaming the and OS needing drive access for other purposes.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

PeeDub

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:26 pm

Re: Music play delay

atc98092 wrote:Well, there's been no changes to Serviio for well over a year. Since nothing there has changed, and you experience the problem with multiple players, the finger points at the server OS, in this case Windows 11. My two servers are still on Windows 10, and I experience no such slowdowns. Of course, I don't have anywhere close to the number of titles that you have (I'm around 6600 video files). Microsoft does have a history of releasing updates that cause issues with existing software operations.

Can you confirm what version of Serviio you're running? You do know that using an SSD for media streaming is not the best for longevity of the drive? I have SSDs for the OS drive on all my computers, but my media storage is all on separate standard 3.5" hard drives. Also, having your media on a drive separate from the OS eliminates any conflictions between the media streaming the and OS needing drive access for other purposes.

Thanks for the reply, Dan. I am running Serviio Pro 2.3. No, I did not know that about SSD drives and media streaming - thanks for the info! I do have my media on a separate drive from the OS. I get your point about Windoze updates. It seems odd to me that an update would only affect some folders, and not all on the drive. When it first happened, I thought it might have to do with the size of the files, but upon further investigation, I found they weren't any bigger than most other files. I also tried removing all items from my Serviio library, restarting and then re-adding everything to rebuild the library, in hopes that would solve the problem, but no joy.

Since my post, I ran a full diagnostic scan on the drive, using Samsung's Magician tool, and that didn't find any issues with the drive. The tool does offer a performance optimization option, which I turned on. That does seem to have helped a little bit with these problematic folders - about 5 seconds to load the first track, instead of the 20 - 30 seconds it was taking before. For comparison, other folders start the first track within a second of hitting play.

Return to Serviio Support & Help