FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Linux can't find video files

<<

hemi0539

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:05 am

Linux can't find video files

I'm a new user to Serviio. I currently run Suse Linux 11.4 and have tried other uPNP server programs and never had one that worked that well. Today on my Windows PC, i installed Serviio to try it out and it worked great, it streamed to my xbox & samsung blu ray player. I found a linux version of Serviio, so i downloaded and tried it. I started the service, ./serviio.sh&, and ran the serviio-console.sh in the GUI. The console window popped up and i clicked on the folder i wanted to share. I then went to both uPNP devices, and they discover the Serviio server and the folder, but the contents of the folders are empty.

The log file showed this:
2012-01-28 19:33:46,099 INFO [LibraryUpdatesCheckerThread] Started looking for updates to currently shared files
2012-01-28 19:36:54,861 INFO [LibraryAdditionsCheckerThread] Finished looking for newly added files

So it looks like it works, but the files never show. I read somewhere about UTF-8 has to be enabled somewhere, but the docs on it was vague to me. I also read in this forum that somebody used 2 "//" on the beginning of the path, but that didnt work either.

What do i need to do so i can get my files to be read? I really like this server as compared to Twonky (randomly disconnects my Blu-Ray connection), and i want to run this on my Linux box since i use it as my file server also.

Attached is how i have it loaded on the config screen.

2nd question, hopefully quicker, is there a web interface to config the server? I went to http://localhost:8895, and nothing displays or no error messages. Right now i have to connect to my server via VNC to configure it from my Mac Book. Is there another port to use? I ran netstat and grep'ed for that port or different ports, but didnt see anything, and i also added the rule to the firewall for TCP port 8895/ UDP 1900. Once i get this resolved, i would like to get it where the Serviio server starts on bootup.

Thanks for your help,
Attachments
Screen shot 2012-01-28 at 7.43.40 PM.png
Screen shot 2012-01-28 at 7.43.40 PM.png (217.93 KiB) Viewed 19214 times
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:20 am

Re: Linux can't find video files

check the serviio user has permission to access the folder were the files are stored.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

hemi0539

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:07 am

Thats what i was thinking after i had sent it. But now here is my question to that. The movies i am trying to share are stored on a External USB Drive mounted on /media/BACKUP (and its formatted NTFS). I installed the serviio files in the /root folder, and checked the file permissions on folder that i am trying out. Below are the permissions:

linux-MERCURY:/media/BACKUP/TV/2.5 Men S1 # ls -l
total 4525696
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 5148 Jan 28 21:25 ._2.5 Men S1E01.avi
-rwxrwxrwx 2 root root 183734272 Aug 18 02:08 2.5 Men S1E01.avi
-rwxrwxrwx 2 root root 183891968 Aug 18 02:11 2.5 Men S1E02.avi
-rwxrwxrwx 2 root root 183465984 Aug 18 03:08 2.5 Men S1E03.avi
-rwxrwxrwx 2 root root 183474176 Aug 18 03:15 2.5 Men S1E04.avi

The owner is root and they have RWX on all 3 groups. Is there anything i am missing, or something i have to change?

Thanks for your help,
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:22 am

serviio cannot be run as root, it has to have its own user account and as a side note i didnt know linux could access NTFS partitions i though they had to be fat32?
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

hemi0539

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:00 am

Well i tried to run it in my user account and the same thing happened. What i did was download the tar file from the site, un zipped in my /home/user, then went to /home/user/serviio-0.6.1/bin, and at first tried to run ./serviio.sh, but i received alot of errors and java errors. So i ran it as, sudo ./serviio.sh &, and executed serviio-console.sh and the GUI came up, it shows the service running and i shared the same folders, then went into my XBOX ands it shows the server, folders, but the contents are still empty.

And i wasnt sure about Linux recognizing a NTFS partition, but it did work...I've been using it as my file server for the past few months and it works great with it. I just dont to go back to Windows on this PC since i was able to get suse linux to work great with it, except for a consistent uPNP server.

Thanks,
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:30 am

http://wiki.serviio.org/doku.php?id=howto:linux:install

look there nothing specific to suse, but teh basics should apply.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

<<

network_test

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:39 pm

I do have the very same issue, however on a different system (update: Issue seems to be solve - see bottom):

Setup:
Fedora 15 (up2date)
Java 1.6.0_22
Downloading and installing serviio according to the faq's (tried with the most actual version and 0.6.0.1).

Issue:

serviio is running and responsing to DLNA clients properly. Also TV etc. are correctly identified and listed. However I can do whatever I want, but am not able to get serviio to import any content. Tried multiple paths running serviio as root and as serviio user. Even set the whole content tree to 777. Serviio is accepting the paths, but does not find any content in there. On the client I can browser through the serviio directories and even do see directories from my content path. However not a single file shows up (avi, mpg, mkv, flv, mp3, m4a, jpg, jpeg, ...)

Code:
2012-01-31 15:44:47,939 INFO  [EventSubscriptionExpirationChecker] Starting EventSubscriptionExpirationChecker
2012-01-31 15:44:47,944 INFO  [RendererSearchSender] Searching for Renderer devices
2012-01-31 15:44:47,948 INFO  [EventDispatcher] Starting EventDispatcher
2012-01-31 15:44:47,949 INFO  [DiscoveryAdvertisementNotifier] Starting DiscoveryAdvertisementNotifier
2012-01-31 15:44:51,175 INFO  [RendererExpirationChecker] Leaving RendererExpirationChecker
2012-01-31 15:45:27,541 INFO  [LibraryAdditionsCheckerThread] Finished looking for newly added files
2012-01-31 15:45:27,641 INFO  [LibraryUpdatesCheckerThread] Finished looking for updates to currently shared files
2012-01-31 15:45:27,766 INFO  [LibraryAdditionsCheckerThread] Started looking for newly added files
2012-01-31 15:45:27,778 INFO  [LibraryUpdatesCheckerThread] Started looking for updates to currently shared files
2012-01-31 15:45:44,839 INFO  [LibraryAdditionsCheckerThread] Finished looking for newly added files
2012-01-31 15:45:44,940 INFO  [LibraryUpdatesCheckerThread] Finished looking for updates to currently shared files
2012-01-31 15:45:45,040 INFO  [LibraryAdditionsCheckerThread] Started looking for newly added files
2012-01-31 15:45:45,050 INFO  [LibraryUpdatesCheckerThread] Started looking for updates to currently shared files

SELinux is turned off, system logs show no entries related to any serviio, java or IO activity/issue

When I click on "Show Status" on the Library tab in serviio-console I do get a popup without any buttons but red lights next to each line (checking for new updates/files).

Update:
Just to try, I did create subfolders in my content directory and suddenly the files do show up in the serviio library....
I'll keep investigating this issue and will post a reply if I find anything.
<<

loumont

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:38 am

Does anyone have any further insight about the problem described here?

I'm experiencing the same thing. Incredibly frustrating.
I'm using Ubuntu 11.10. unpacked the serviio files to a sub-directory in /home called /MyApps

Serviio console launches.
I can access the folders from my media player (xbox & a Sony SMP device). I'm using the "Videos" folder from /home.
But, when I go to the folders from the media player, it's empty!
When I click on "force refresh" in the Library tab, the show status does box does not show any files I've put in that folder.

What gives?

I tried creating a user called "serviio" and launching the serviio.sh and console from there, but still the same problem.
I have ffmpeg installed.
I tried creating sub-folders for the videos.

I'm so close. Someone please help me out.

Loumont
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:48 am

loumont wrote:Does anyone have any further insight about the problem described here?

I'm experiencing the same thing. Incredibly frustrating.
I'm using Ubuntu 11.10. unpacked the serviio files to a sub-directory in /home called /MyApps

Serviio console launches.
I can access the folders from my media player (xbox & a Sony SMP device). I'm using the "Videos" folder from /home.
But, when I go to the folders from the media player, it's empty!
When I click on "force refresh" in the Library tab, the show status does box does not show any files I've put in that folder.

What gives?

I tried creating a user called "serviio" and launching the serviio.sh and console from there, but still the same problem.
I have ffmpeg installed.
I tried creating sub-folders for the video

I'm so close. Someone please help me out.

Loumont

See our wiki linked above for full ubuntu install instructions
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

<<

adlin6000

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:18 am

Looks like I am having the same problem. Installed ffmpeg and the rest following the wiki page (used the source from the download page), decompressed to my home folder, shared a video directory and music directory. Music directory went just fine, plays on both my 360 and a Panisonic TC-P50X3. The folder for the video shows up, but no videos in it, and no sub folders on either. Permissions are all set. Tried renaming to simple file names. Different formats (avi/mkc/mp4).

The page you linked to is fairly useless as to installing. Its somewhat helpful for setting it up to run at boot, bit that's it. Nothing that would help with this problem that I can see.

Any help with this?
<<

adlin6000

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:37 am

Apparently it has something to do with serviio not liking videos on separate hard drives. Music works fine, but for some reason it wont find any videos on a different hard drive. I put a link to my media folders (on sdc) in a folder on my main drive (sda), and it serviio followed it just fine. Hope this helps people.
<<

FranFurilo

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:10 am

Re: Linux can't find video files (problem solved)

Problem solved (at least for me).

Serviio 1.2 installed on Ubuntu 12.04. My music & videos are in a samba share mounted in /media/DATA/video (and /media/DATA/music). The weird thing was that music worked perfectly, I saw the folders and I was able to play songs, but no video appeared (neither folders nor my mkv-avi-flv-mp4's).

I thought it was a problem of permissions and/or shares so I tried local video (/home) with the same luck. I checked the logs and I found this: "2013-03-16 03:55:03,499 ERROR [ProcessExecutor] Fatal error in process starting: Cannot run program "ffmpeg": java.io.IOException: error=2, No such file or directory" I can assure I followed the wiki directions to install everything (included ffmpeg).

I checked and I had ffmpeg installed so I searched for gstreamer and installed gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg 0.10.13-1, gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse 0.10.21-1, gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad 0.10.22.3-2ubuntu2.2, gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly 0.10.18.3-1ubuntu1. No need to stop/start serviio. It's working right away.

I hope that this could serve, at least as a guide for others to find the problem... :)
<<

talanmawr

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:24 pm

So I'm having this same problem. I'm really new to Ubuntu and Linux, so if anyone can help point in the right direction, that'd be great. I thought that I figured out how to instlal gstreamer, but I don't know. Regardless, still don't have any media showing up.
<<

grolschie

DLNA master

Post Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:41 pm

Mounting NTFS-formatted HDDs in Linux

This may help someone:
I access media on an NTFS-formatted USB HDD with Serviio in Linux (Debian stable). I had to unmount the drive (which was automatically mounted), create an entry in /etc/fstab to mount the drive using ntfs-3g (with the "permissions" option and the locale set). Then I chown'ed and chmod'ed the folders/files on the HDD so that both myself and group "dlna" (of which user "serviio" is a member) could access them.
Using Serviio on Debian "Wheezy" with Xbox 360, Sony BDP-S370 & Panasonic E6.
<<

Tony0945

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:39 am

Same thing here with Gentoo Linux. drive sda is a Windows XP install. drive sdb is the Linux Install drive sdc is the video archive (NTFS). Serviio is working fine in XP with my Samsung SmartTV and I can browse the folders from there, so it's not that serviio doesn't like a separate hard drive. The mounted drive can be readily accessed from the Linux command line. it has full permissions for user 'tony' and group 'wheel'. I added user 'serviio' to group 'wheel' but the TV still cannot browse the folders and the refresh button on the serviio-console shows red with no activity. The TV acknowledges the connection and the console reports the server is running. It would be great if the wiki could tell how to set permissions with some examples.

P.S. Also tried loading the serviio windows application into Wine 1.6.1 and it installed fine but it crashes on launch. Been trying to get this going for three days now. There is a lot of false info on the web. XP support is over and I don't want to buy another operating system. I have three "must have" apps and this is one of them.
<<

NX3

DLNA master

Post Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:01 am

Serviio works fine with multiple hdd in Linux. Serviio has a native Linux client so running the Windows version in wine seems a unnecessary step.

Bit confused by what your trying to do.... install serviio in Linux and give it access?

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk
<<

grolschie

DLNA master

Post Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:27 am

I too have had permissions issues with Linux. Drive is NTFS mounted with ntfs-3g and settings so that unix permissions can be set.

I haven't found a way to set the group that serviio runs as. So I basically had created a group called "dlna" and chown'ed the folders so that this group owns them. I added user "serviio" to the "dlna" group. This works ok except for the serviio install folder itself, because serviio runs as a different group. So I did a naughty thing by chmod'ing the serviio install folder to give everyone read/write access - not good.
<<

sirkit

Streaming enthusiast

Post Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:10 pm

I am newbie to Linux serviio, please please could someone help, I am having sort of the same problem have installed serviio 1.4.1.2 on Linux arch CLI only, and I can see the video folder on my Samsung TV but can't see the films, all my movies are install on a 500TB hard drive the path is /data500, but can't find where I configure this path in serviio-console.sh can anybody help please
<<

grolschie

DLNA master

Post Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:17 pm

sirkit wrote:I am newbie to Linux serviio, please please could someone help, I am having sort of the same problem have installed serviio 1.4.1.2 on Linux arch CLI only, and I can see the video folder on my Samsung TV but can't see the films, all my movies are install on a 500TB hard drive the path is /data500, but can't find where I configure this path in serviio-console.sh can anybody help please

Start the console. Select the Library tab. Click the Add Local button and use the dialog box to locate the folder. The dialog box probably starts in your home folder, so you may need to click /.. a few times to navigate your way back to / and then select the data500 folder and click OK. Then in the console window tick the boxes that appliy for the folder i.e. videos, photos, music.

BUG:
Now here's the thing I notice about the Linux version of Serviio: The Save and Reset buttons are off-screen for the Library tab. This is a bug. I use LXDE so maybe that might affect this. So, to save changes, I have to drag the bottom right corner of the Serviio console window to make it bigger, to reveal these 2 buttons. Then click Save.

EDIT: Bitbucket report logged.
<<

Iveky

DLNA master

Post Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:58 am

I have Serviio on Linux too, use console on server, and also many times connect with remote console, in both cases you need to add folders to library like grolschie said before, so I won't repeat that part.
just few notice: i have 3 separate drives on Linux Fedora, all my beggining problems were connected with permisions, but solved them immediately giving permisssion everyone as read-write, serviio only need read permission, won't write anything there... but write permision gives my life easier when adding subtitles/movies... to disks, cos I copy files remotely, my server is without screen :)
serviio don't need to have samba shares, you need them only if you mount drives from windows to copy files to server, i do it over NFSmounts.

fedora have ffmpeg in its repository so i never had problems with it, installed with 'yum install ffmpeg', and just from time to time update it with: 'yum update ffmpeg' andf thats all:
Package ffmpeg-2.1.4-1.fc20.x86_64 already installed and latest version

serviio installed as explained in 'wiki', strictly follow explanation for fedora and that's it.
Next

Return to Serviio Support & Help