FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

VLC as DLNA player

<<

basilobrush

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:36 pm

Re: VLC as DLNA player

Hi Guys
I have followed the above and can see all my serviio folders and files.
What do I do next to watch VLC Player on my Panasonic GT30 series DLNA TV?
Videos play fine locally on the PC and on the TV with Serviio.
I want to be able to play a playlist of music videos one after another a feature VLC does fine on the PC.
All media servers with playlists can only play one video then it returns to the list, on th Tv you only have the option to play all for music files.
Any help very much appreciated :?
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:58 pm

You would have to stream the videos from VLC as a live stream and add the live stream's URL to Serviio as a live stream.
<<

basilobrush

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:30 pm

Hi
That's where I get stuck.
Any pointers to help on this?
When I go to Stream in VLC I choose my playlist file:///K:/Playlists/Sara.xspf (which is OK and plays fine on the pc)
Then I get stuck with the Destination and Profile settings (My videos are all MPEG2 with AC3 Audio)
If this helps:
PC IP address: 192.168.1.67
TV IP address: 192.168.1.64

Thanks
<<

zip

Post Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:28 pm

try to set similar settings like here: http://wiki.serviio.org/doku.php?id=stream_dvd
<<

nijntjepluis

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:25 pm

Any way to manually connect VLC to Serviio?

I have Serviio running on my desktop PC. When I open explorer and click on Network, I can see under "Media Devices (1)" Serviio. So apparently Serviio is running and can be found by my laptop. However, when I click on "Plug'n'play" in VLC 2.0.4, nothing happens (even if I wait 15+ minutes).

Double-clicking Serviio under Media Devices just opens op Windows Media Player which doesn't help (since WMP does not support DLNA correctly). Serviio runs fine in combination with my TV, but sometimes I just want to watch a movie on my laptop.

Please help!
<<

moltra

DLNA master

Post Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:48 pm

Try XBMC

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Mark
Beta Tester Group
http://www.serviidb.com Online media resource repository

Netgear EVA2000 | Samsung BD-D5300 | XBOX 360 | Windows 7 | Mint Debian 12 | Raxz Maxx
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

zip

Post Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:56 pm

Or if you're on Windows 8, try Multimedia 8 app.
<<

arnoud

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:24 pm

Multimedia 8 app is not very useful without MKV support... Sadly...
<<

blokey

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:51 pm

Can't understand why it take VLC so long to populate with Serviio when the same operation with Tversity is almost instantanious. Love Serviio though and have now uninstalled Tversity
<<

Zandig

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:53 am

I've noticed the same. It seems the more you have in your library, the longer it takes. If you have alot in your library VLC sort of locks up. With that said I try to keep my library to a minimum and only add things when I need to access them.
<<

Swehawk

Serviio lover

Post Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:07 pm

Installed VLC 2.0.5 on win7, but it doesn't even see my Serviio server :x Only my Asset upnp server, but not the content of it...
<<

Coronel

Streaming enthusiast

Post Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:51 pm

Amigo Vintila, boa noite. Veja só, apesar de seu post estar bem explicado, pode-se ver os demais que reportam-no.
Mas me desculpe minha ignorancia. Comprei recentemente uma tv ld com recursos DLNA. Consegui usar o Seviio apenas. Mas vi na net várias informações da possibilidade de usa e comandar o VLC Media Player do meu tv, acessando os arquivos do pc.
Inclusive esse poste, se entendi, trata-se desse assunto. Mas ja tentei várias vezes configurar o VLC para usar junto com o Serviio, assim como voce mostra nesse tópico, mas não consegui. Não sei como voce configurou o VLC Media Player para usar no modo da imagem que voce postou nesse tópico. Mas tentei e não consegui. Depois de arrastar o arquivo de mídia (filme) para dentro do VLC, ja com o console do Servvio aberto, segui os passos desse tópico, Quando clico em: Local Network > Universal Plug'in'Play, o VLC não responde e trava. Então não consigo usar, Minha máquina é: Processador Intel Quad Core - 8 Gb RAM - Video GT8600 - OS Win 8 64 bits. Imagino que para chegar a esses passos que voce se refere nesse tópico, antes é necessário configurar o VLC Media Player e o Servvio. Por favor amigo, voce pode me enviar por email ou MP o tutorial de como configurar VLC + Servvio e chegar a esse passo acima, nesse tópico, para que eu possa tambem desfrutar dessas ferramentas?
Desde ja agradeço. Fico no aguardo.
Last edited by Coronel on Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Coronel

Streaming enthusiast

Post Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:52 pm

Vintila wrote:I was looking for a Windows XP DLNA media player without success, only XMBC was suggested which was more than I needed. However a I have discovered that VLC version 2 can work as a DLNA / UPnP on Windows / Linux (I have not tested it on MacOs X.)

It quite easy, just choose View --> Playlist -->Local Network -->Universal Plug’n Play., then you will find the Servio Server and all your folders.

A picture is worth a thousand words:

Regards / 73

Vintila Friend , good night . You see, although your post is well explained , you can see the others who report it .
But I forgive my ignorance . Ld recently bought a tv with DLNA capabilities . Unable to use the Seviio only . But I saw on the net several of the possibility of using information and control the VLC Media Player on my tv , accessing files from pc .
Including this post, if I did , it is the subject. But already tried several times to configure VLC to use along with Serviio , like you shows on this topic , but could not. I do not know how you set up VLC Media Player to use the mode of the image that you posted in this thread . But I tried and failed . After dragging the media file ( movie ) into VLC , with the console already open Servvio , follow the steps in this topic , When I click on Local Network > Universal Plug'in'Play , VLC does not respond and crashes. So I can not use my machine is : Intel Quad Core - 8 GB RAM - Video GT8600 - Win 8 64 -bit OS . I imagine that for arrive these steps that you referred this topic before you must configure the VLC Media Player and Servvio . Please friend, you can send me by email or PM the tutorial how to configure VLC + Servvio and reach that step up in this topic , so I can also enjoy these tools?
I thank you . I'm waiting .
<<

magowiz

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:00 am

VLC, though being by far the best and most versatile media player available, offers a very poor implementation of the DLNA protocol.

Basically, what VLC does is to download the whole structure of contents from a DLNA media server, and then let the user choose what to play from its interface. It does NOT operate as a LNA renderer (other DLNA clients will NOT see VLC as a renderer), does NOT load full metadata, most above all, it can NOT be operated remotely through a DLNA control point.

All of this makes using VLC's limited DLNA features pointless: as other posts discussed already, why using DLNA at all? VLC can directly access shared resources on a network (streams included), and play them at the user's will WITHOUT going trhough DLNA client-server (and transcoding) architechture.
Meanwhile, should anyone want to have a player to access DLNA contents through its own interface, why not using any other, and Serviio's standard web-based player above all?

The need for a more complete support of DLNA in VLC has been raised over and ove on Videolan's forums, but the developers don't seem to wonat to address this issue.
<<

Coronel

Streaming enthusiast

Post Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:53 am

Vintila wrote:I was looking for a Windows XP DLNA media player without success, only XMBC was suggested which was more than I needed. However a I have discovered that VLC version 2 can work as a DLNA / UPnP on Windows / Linux (I have not tested it on MacOs X.)

It quite easy, just choose View --> Playlist -->Local Network -->Universal Plug’n Play., then you will find the Servio Server and all your folders.

Regards / 73

Good evening friend Vintila. I tried several times to follow what you posted. Repeated several times but failed.
The fact is: I have the PRO version Serviio. Configured right. My pc through the Serviio console enconrou the tv and the tv also found Servvio adcionadas and folders. All good until right there. But what happens is that many of the stored video files on PC, and are in MKV with subtitles STR, SUB etc.. And many of these video files, when put together with the subtitles, I can not see. The remove the subtitles in the same folder, so I can see the video. The problem is I can not even desired language and subtitles too. And already checked, is not a problem of the downloaded file. The problem is that the TV through Serviio can not understand.
But using VLC on the pc, everything works normal. The video in the desired language. And with or without subtitles.
Have also some videos in MKV and subtitles in STR, SUB etc. Normal work using only Serviio Pro
Using these information posted by you, when using VLC + Serviio, could not understand.
I did what you told us, but when I click adicinados files in the library and click on VLC, but VLC is LOCKED and information "View -> Playlist - -> Local Network> Universal Plug'n Play.": "... VLC (Not Responding)".
Excuse my ignorance friend, but could you inform us less technical and a little more "to lay", how do you use VLC + Servvio. Is there any setting in VLC or Serviio and we need to do to Stephen Fry procedure that you told us to work, please?
For I hope that if I have understood your post that, then you will help me a lot to watch the videos just can not open Serviio, but using the 2 Serviio Pro + PLAYING VLC, networking MODE "View -> playlist -> Local network -.> Universal Plug'n Play "and or Stream fOR SMART TV tHAT hAS a JOB DLNA, since both are linked by a home network with a speed of 35 Mg, and I set to shares. Hope you help me friend. Thank you.
<<

Coronel

Streaming enthusiast

Post Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:31 am

Gosh, here in this forum is written: "Serviio Support & Help". But already have much time to come here for help, or who opened the topic, not the admin. the forum does not give attention to help us, help us in our difficulties. Though I know you guys are not paid, paid for it. But you guys tell us that this topic is for us to help those in need. And I'm in need of help from you guys. I confess that I have tried several times to follow by this image that friend "Vintila" posted, but I could not. I do not understand.
Please anyone of you, be the admin, is what opened this topic, or, is another friend who also knows the subject, can have a little time to help me, telling me, mostando in a tutorial, step by step I can also use this mode of 2 programs, Serviio + VLC?
Thank you.
<<

zip

Post Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:43 am

VLC has nothing to do with your playing the files on the TV. VLC is quite bad with UPnP - it probably takes ages to download the contents of your whole browse library, so is not responding.

your problem with the TV is related to hardsubs, I assume. Create a new topic and attach your detailed log of playing a file you have problems with.
<<

Coronel

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:23 am

zip wrote:VLC has nothing to do with your playing the files on the TV. VLC is quite bad with UPnP - it probably takes ages to download the contents of your whole browse library, so is not responding.

your problem with the TV is related to hardsubs, I assume. Create a new topic and attach your detailed log of playing a file you have problems with.

Sr admin . What happens is :

The files that give me problems are the Video Blu - Ray with subtitles and audios or .

What happens .

Have MKV files and subtitles . STR and or . SUB , which when put together in the same folder , the video does not open. And it gives the message to the Smart TV : " File not found "

Then removes the folder files or subtitles and dubbing , the video opens and runs normally , but without subtitles and dubbing .

There are problems with the subtitle files and dubbing because the players , either WMP , VLC is not , and even the Player of Servvio , files for videos , subtitles and dubbing function normally , with activation without activation.

Also these are not problems with the Smart TV , as it were, Smart Tv , others would not recognize MKV Video files , nor subtitles and dubbing . STR . Etc. SUB . Because what makes reading , reads , interprets and recognizes the files is the Serviio server .

I imagine that perhaps the configuration mode Serviio savendo I'm not set to accept all types of files . You think it might be ?

Please can you help me set it up so that he , the Serviio , accept and recognize all types of files and subtitles or voiceovers , are . SRT , . SUB etc ?

Thank you.
<<

Coronel

Streaming enthusiast

Post Tue May 20, 2014 4:02 pm

Regards / 73

Friend Vintila , admin and diamonds that can help me , please.

Sorry for my ignorance . Use the latest version Serviio Pro 1.4.1.2 , and also the latest version of VLC Media Player 2.1.3 .
The image posted here , and I redid . I tried and re - tried several times and could not yet.

What happens :
I open VLC, I click on the "View tab - > Playlist - > Local Network - > . Universal Plug'n Play " , just like u told us . But when I click " View -> Playlist " , the playlist is empty. And if I click on " Universal Plug'n Play" , VLC gets CAUGHT .

What is missing then?
Will I have to first add the Seviio ( xxxx ) folder in the VLC playlist ?
If yes , how do I add Serviio to VLC ?

Please could you tell us what to do before this step , the image that u posted ?

I found this post interesting , because I'm having problems with DLNA . Often when watching movies in MKV and subtitles . Srt , . Etc. sub . , Or Smart TV does not recognize and when it recognizes , the film keeps crashing . Seems to be INCOMPATIBILITY . And in MKV movies in 3D when the MKV file is in Side by Side ( Side By Side ) mode , the subtitles are divided . Subtitle A part is on the left corner of the screen , part of the subtitles is on the right corner of the screen . If I set the TV in 2D mode , the Legend is just a part of the right corner of the tv . So you can not see the movie . The video looks normal 3D or 2D , but only subtitles are not hit .

So I guess using this method that you say in this post , will solve my problem , because I use the TV as a monitor only , since the main , the pc will do with VLC . So can I configure VLC on modes of video, audio and subtitles in any format I want and that VLC supports .

Please help me . Thank you.
<<

Coronel

Streaming enthusiast

Post Tue May 20, 2014 4:03 pm

Regards / 73

Amigo Vintila, admin e ouros que puderem me ajudar, por favor.

Desculpem minha ignorância. Uso a última versão Serviio Pro 1.4.1.2, e também a ultima versão VLC Media Player 2.1.3.
Pela imagem postada aqui, fiz e refiz. Tentei e re-tentei várias vezes e não consegui ainda.

O que acontece:
Abro o VLC, clico na aba “Exibir -> Playlist -> Rede Local -> . Universal Plug'n Play”, do mesmo jeito que vc nos informa. Mas quando clico em: “Exibir -> Playlist”, a lista de reprodução esta vazia. E se clico em: “Universal Plug'n Play”, o VLC fica TRAVADO.

O que esta faltando então?
Será que primeiro terei que adicionar a pasta Seviio (xxxx) na lista de reprodução do VLC?
Se é sim, como faço para adicionar o Serviio ao VLC?

Por favor, poderia nos informar o que fazer antes dessa etapa, imagem que vc nos postou?

Achei interessante esse post, porque estou tendo problemas com DLNA. Muitas vezes ao assistir a filmes em MKV e legendas .srt, .sub etc., ou o Smart tv não reconhece e quando reconhece, o filme fica travando. Me parece ser INCOMPATIBILIDADE. E nos filmes MKV em 3D, quando o arquivo MKV, é no modo Lado a Lado (Side By Side), as legendas ficam divididas. Uma parte das legendas fica no canto esquerdo da tela, outra parte das legendas fica no canto direito da tela. Se configuro o tv em modo 2D, a legenda fica apenas uma parte no canto direito do tv. Então não é possível ver o filme. O vídeo fica normal, em 3D, ou em 2D, mas apenas as legendas não se acertam.

Então imagino que eu usando esse modo que vc nos fala nesse post, irá resolver meu problema, pois usarei o tv apenas como monitor, pois o principal, o pc fará com o VLC. Assim poderei configurar o VLC em modos de vídeos, áudios e legendas em qualquer formato que eu deseje e que o VLC suporta.

Por favor, me ajude. Obrigado.
PreviousNext

Return to Serviio Support & Help