FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

VLC as DLNA player

<<

Coronel

Streaming enthusiast

Post Thu May 22, 2014 6:54 pm

Re: VLC as DLNA player

Vintila wrote:I was looking for a Windows XP DLNA media player without success, only XMBC was suggested which was more than I needed. However a I have discovered that VLC version 2 can work as a DLNA / UPnP on Windows / Linux (I have not tested it on MacOs X.)

It quite easy, just choose View --> Playlist -->Local Network -->Universal Plug’n Play., then you will find the Servio Server and all your folders.

A picture is worth a thousand words:

Regards / 73

Vintila friend. I saw your topic on the link: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5620,
with the title: VLC DLNA player. But saw and reviewed the picture, and made and remade as you told us:
View -> Playlist -> Local Network ->. Universal Plug'n Play.

So when I open VLC, tab "View -> Playlist -> Local Network -> Universal Plug'n Play, NO appears to folder or icon, or device as the image posted by you as example." Servvio (joseph-3889073cb7 ). "

And if I click on "Universal Plug'n'Play" VLC crashes and gives the message above the Player window: (Not reponding).

CPU i7 - - 8 GB RAM - Video Card 2 Gb Use Windows 8 Ultimate Pro System

Please can you help me?
Because VLC not seeing this, recognizing Serviio showing how the picture that you posted?

Thank you.
<<

Coronel

Streaming enthusiast

Post Thu May 22, 2014 10:27 pm

Yikes! Does anybody here have that can help me ?
Any time I come here for help , but in spite of being difficult , when responding take a long time .

I have the latest version of Serviio Pro 1.4.1.2 . I saw this topic and Vintila interested me because I find to be very useful for me .

I've tried several times using the explanations of it , but I can not configure VLC to work , play along with Serviio , as shown in this picture posted .

I followed the steps :
 " View -> Playlist - > Local Network - . > Universal Plug'n'Play " several times , but the VLC finds NO , NO Serviio sees as shown in the image .

I open VLC, go on " Playlist " , but not the aprece Serviio as pictured . Still, if I click on the option : " Universal Plug'n'Play " VLC crashes , stops and gives message at the top of the window , in front of which a description VLC media player " ( Not Responding ) "

Please Mr. admin , Vintila and others who can help me , explain me better how to make VLC find Serviio .

I posted here for help. Have sent to MP Vintila and also to Mr. admin. But everyone ignores me and does not answer me.

If it was easy, as the Vintila says above and states that the image speaks for itself, I already could have done. But there's another situation where he forgot to mention about configures VLC or Serbian to you to use them both as he quotes and shows the image.

I hope to help please. Thank you.
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Fri May 23, 2014 11:39 am

I'm not sure there is any help to give you.

VLC is a bad UPnP client and seems to have got worse over the last few years. I long ago stopped trying to get VLC up and running as a DLNA client - even when it does work (rarely) it is painfully slow. Even if it finds the server (rare) it then seems to try and read the entire media library from the Serviio server before displaying anything. This is a hit and miss affair - it only ever works after a long delay and more often than not doesn't work even then. This isn't a Serviio issue - it does this for other media servers as well.

I think you may want to consider saving yourself a lot of pain and look for another DLNA client (although I must ask, if you are on a PC why not just access your media via a network share...??)
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
Please do not PM me for support as any solution cannot be shared with others.
<<

Coronel

Streaming enthusiast

Post Fri May 23, 2014 4:46 pm

DenyAll wrote:I'm not sure there is any help to give you.

VLC is a bad UPnP client and seems to have got worse over the last few years. I long ago stopped trying to get VLC up and running as a DLNA client - even when it does work (rarely) it is painfully slow. Even if it finds the server (rare) it then seems to try and read the entire media library from the Serviio server before displaying anything. This is a hit and miss affair - it only ever works after a long delay and more often than not doesn't work even then. This isn't a Serviio issue - it does this for other media servers as well.

I think you may want to consider saving yourself a lot of pain and look for another DLNA client (although I must ask, if you are on a PC why not just access your media via a network share...??)

Good afternoon friend DenyAll .
Look , I use Serviio long time ago , even as I mentioned , I'm already with the latest Pro version

The fact is , I 'm having trouble using external subtitles , are in elea . Srt , . Sub , etc. , and ANSI or UTF - 8 . In some videos in MKV , often are waging , giving legs .

And Videos MKV 3D SBS ( Side by Side ) mode , the subtitles are DIVIDED , a part is on the left of the screen ( screen ) , another part is in the right corner of the screen ( screen ) .

If I switch to 2D , the subtitles are just a part of it in the right corner of the screen ( screen ) . Original oÁudio prefer to use the videos , so you need subtitles work well . And Serviio does not give me option to change this problem . And le is limited , in spite of it still being in the moment , currently the best DLNA server that I know and use.

So I have two options :
1st - Or use VLC with Serviio that I found interesting in so
        network and DLNA ;
2nd - Or use connexão between Computer with Smart TV cable
        HDMI .

But I would like to know how to configure VLC with Serviio as friend Vintila opened and posted in this thread "VLC DLNA player" with the image file at the beginning of this post. Well done all and several times and was unable to do so that it was the way the picture he posted.

I open VLC, View -> Playlist, but it does not appear the Serviio as pictured.
And if I click Local Network ->. Universal Plug'n1Play, VLC stops, crashes and gives the message above the window: "Not Responding"

Although it does not work out and be bad and slow, I want to test, because I have good machine and connection of 35 Mb / s.

The problem is that I found no one to help me get that option image he posted, Vintila neither he nor the admin nor the site staff VideoLan gave me attention and even support. Can you help me please?
Thank you.
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Sun May 25, 2014 11:59 am

Use an earlier version of VLC.

if I click Local Network ->. Universal Plug'n1Play, VLC stops, crashes and gives the message above the window: "Not Responding"
This is the correct way to access Serviio (or any other DLNA server) from VLC, ie. you are doing it correctly. When I click Local Network -> Universal Plug'n'Play my VLC also crashes (using VLC version 2.1.3).

However if I use VLC version 2.0.6 then it works... although it is painfully slow (you have to wait a long time before it allows you to browse the Serviio library). You may want to try even earlier versions - as I stated previously, imo VLC is a bad UPnP client that has got worse over time.
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
<<

Coronel

Streaming enthusiast

Post Mon May 26, 2014 1:52 am

DenyAll wrote:Use an earlier version of VLC.

if I click Local Network ->. Universal Plug'n1Play, VLC stops, crashes and gives the message above the window: "Not Responding"
This is the correct way to access Serviio (or any other DLNA server) from VLC, ie. you are doing it correctly. When I click Local Network -> Universal Plug'n'Play my VLC also crashes (using VLC version 2.1.3).

However if I use VLC version 2.0.6 then it works... although it is painfully slow (you have to wait a long time before it allows you to browse the Serviio library). You may want to try even earlier versions - as I stated previously, imo VLC is a bad UPnP client that has got worse over time.

Good evening friend DenyAll. Thank you. Now I desisntalei version 2.1.3 of VLC and installed version 2.0.6. as you guided me and now gave cert, see the Service, your folders and ALL FILES.

But now, how to play the video file that is being executed in VLC to the TV?

Can you help me more, please?
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Mon May 26, 2014 9:25 am

The simplest way is to use a HDMI cable between your PC and the TV.

If you are trying to stream from your PC to the TV you need to read this wiki article: http://wiki.serviio.org/doku.php?id=stream_pc, however I have severe reservations whether this would work - you are trying to stream from Serviio to VLC, and then from your desktop via VLC to Serviio and then to your TV. I'm not sure whether VLC can both receive a DLNA stream and create a stream for sending back to Serviio at the same time.
DenyAll
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
<<

Coronel

Streaming enthusiast

Post Mon May 26, 2014 6:52 pm

DenyAll wrote:The simplest way is to use a HDMI cable between your PC and the TV.

If you are trying to stream from your PC to the TV you need to read this wiki article: http://wiki.serviio.org/doku.php?id=stream_pc, however I have severe reservations whether this would work - you are trying to stream from Serviio to VLC, and then from your desktop via VLC to Serviio and then to your TV. I'm not sure whether VLC can both receive a DLNA stream and create a stream for sending back to Serviio at the same time.

DenyAll friend, thank you for your attention. I realize you have doubts if it works. Is it wrong?

You saw at the beginning of this topic, the main one: VLC DLNA player, started by Vintila?

That's not what he tells us, ie DLNA with Serviio through VLC Media Player?

He speaks to us and posted picture. The problem is that he opened the topic by half, ie, he opened not the topic for all of us understand, but only for those advanced ja ja and longer know how to use Serviio with VLC there.

So this hard on us compreeder because to get to stream files from your computer to your DLNA TV on, there are other steps and settings in VLC Serviio and programs, which we were not informed nor Vintila by itself, nor admim this forum. I believe that admim saba how to use, because soon after the beginning of this post, the admin change manifested itself contrary to this procedure, stating that not worth it, because VLC is slow. For him to have that certainty, he auditioned.

But I asked for help here and the two MPs, and nehum them answered me, nor here nor returned MPs me.

I know it comes eese forum and is deiicado Serviio for members and users. But I am a Junior Member and even buy licenses to use, since I use the Pro versions So I think the admin change that could help me, but do not want. I do not understand, because if this function works well, this mode using Serviio and VLC, only comes to help, add, and not to unseat Serviio. Therefore need both to succeed.

I am truly frustrated with this forum, lack of attention and return my doubts and MPs sent him, also lack of respect because I am not free, free user. I use the paid version. Then he could at least give me some tips on how to make the settings using Serbian + VLC to play the files to the tv in DLNA mode, because I know that he has knowledge about.

I realize that you know more than me. If you have the will and curiosidde in use to test and work out, please could you call me back and let me know what are the procedures and settings, step by step how you did?

I got the link that you posted me, but like everyone else who speaks in this procedure is very bad explained. Tutorials are bad and which are not made for anyone to understand, only to "experts". And look I have some notion of computing, now imagine for those who do not have a bit of knowledge?

Thank you
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Tue May 27, 2014 11:22 am

Hi Coronel

Streaming from Serviio to VLC does work and I think you now have that working on version 2.0.6. of VLC
Streaming your desktop via VLC and Serviio to your TV also works (at least some users have got it to work, as per the wiki article - I have never tried as I do not have the need).

What I have my doubts over is whether you can do both at the same time - stream from Serviio to your desktop and then trying to your stream your desktop to your TV. Give it a try, but bear in mind few people, if anybody, will have done this before so your support will be limited (if any). This seems a very complex way to address your underlying issue (playing your videos on your TV with subtitles).

I think your comments are rather unfair. Serviio is a DLNA Media Server designed to allow media to be streamed from your PC or the internet to your DLNA client (normally a TV, BD Player, etc). It does this very well, and is I think, well supported for its core function, both by the developer and by a large user community. Is it perfect - does it allow all media to be streamed to all devices with full support for all sub-title types - no, but that is largely because (a) there are so many variants of media and so many implementations of encoders, some better than others, and (b) DLNA is not a strict standard and is implemented poorly/differently on many devices (and VLC is an example of where it is implemented poorly).

There are many other uses of Serviio that are not core - the use of Serviio to your stream desktop for example. These have been worked out be users who post their methods in the wiki or on this forum. These methods are often complex, involving other software (eg VLC), and are not officially supported by the developer (although he does try and assist) - its up to the user community to keep these methods up to date and to assist other users if they are so inclined - this is all voluntary. It is unfair to criticize the developer because you perceive a lack of support in areas that Serviio was not specifically designed to work with. Also, he has made it clear that you shouldnt PM him for support (as the solution is not shared with others), so I think its unfair to expect responses in that case.
DenyAll
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Wed May 28, 2014 2:04 pm

DenyAll wrote:What I have my doubts over is whether you can do both at the same time
Well, I surprised myself. It does indeed work, albeit a bit clunky.

An excellent post yesterday by user gabrielra - viewtopic.php?f=20&t=7249&p=91710#p91688 - prompted me to do some testing and I got this to work using VLC 2.0.6. I have Serviio streaming to VLC, which then simultaneously streams back to Serviio and on to my renderer (in my case a PS3). It is a bit clunky, and subject to slight buffering from time to time but it does work. Note that as a live stream you cannot pause, rewind or fast forward the video. Also note, it may not work with later versions (step 4 onward certainly doesn't work with the latest 2.1.3 version of VLC).

Coronel wrote:let me know what are the procedures and settings, step by step how you did?
I have included step by step instructions in the attached document. I hope this assist you. Please note though - for me this is a once off, academic exercise and is not something I wish to support going forward. I probably won't do much more on this, and will likely remove it from my system.

For other users - I have produced the document as a PDF specific for Coronel but it may be useful for others. Steps 1 to 3 in the attached can be used to stream anything that VLC can play to Serviio, and then onto your renderer (steps 4 and 5 are simply a restatement of instructions at the beginning of this topic). All credit for this must go to user gabrielra, I simply tweaked it a bit for my renderer.
Attachments
VLC to simultaneously stream to Serviio.pdf
Serviio --> VLC and simultaneously VLC --> Serviio --> Renderer
(911.98 KiB) Downloaded 708 times
DenyAll
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
<<

Coronel

Streaming enthusiast

Post Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:40 pm

DenyAll wrote:
DenyAll wrote:What I have my doubts over is whether you can do both at the same time
Well, I surprised myself. It does indeed work, albeit a bit clunky.

An excellent post yesterday by user gabrielra - viewtopic.php?f=20&t=7249&p=91710#p91688 - prompted me to do some testing and I got this to work using VLC 2.0.6. I have Serviio streaming to VLC, which then simultaneously streams back to Serviio and on to my renderer (in my case a PS3). It is a bit clunky, and subject to slight buffering from time to time but it does work. Note that as a live stream you cannot pause, rewind or fast forward the video. Also note, it may not work with later versions (step 4 onward certainly doesn't work with the latest 2.1.3 version of VLC).

Coronel wrote:let me know what are the procedures and settings, step by step how you did?
I have included step by step instructions in the attached document. I hope this assist you. Please note though - for me this is a once off, academic exercise and is not something I wish to support going forward. I probably won't do much more on this, and will likely remove it from my system.

For other users - I have produced the document as a PDF specific for Coronel but it may be useful for others. Steps 1 to 3 in the attached can be used to stream anything that VLC can play to Serviio, and then onto your renderer (steps 4 and 5 are simply a restatement of instructions at the beginning of this topic). All credit for this must go to user gabrielra, I simply tweaked it a bit for my renderer.

Good night DenyAll .

I use Serviio 1.4.1.2 Pro After seeing some tutorials , type vintilla and now I here :
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=7249&p=91710 # p91688

with the title : " SOPCAST ​​VIDEO WEB RESOURCE " I tried several times and still can not .

Excuse my ignorance , but I did it the way you told us .

VLC 2.0.6 :
1. open VLC
2 . Select Tools , Preferences
3 . Under Display Settings , select All ( lower left corner) . In other versions of
      VLC can be labeled Advanced)
4 . Select the output stream in the left pane .
5 . Add the following to the standard output stream chain:

# duplicate { dst = display , dst = " transcode { acodec = mpga , ab = 128 } : http { mux = ts , dst = : 8913 } " }

6 . Press Save .
7 . Select Media File Open and play any video file . This is important - the flow should
      be running for the next step .

SERVIIO PRO 1.4.1.2 :
1 . Serviio Console Open
2 . Choose Library , online sources and press Add
. 3 Enter the details as below , and press check flow URL :
 IP OF MY MACHINE , COMPUTER : 10.1.1.7

Then put http:// 10.1.1.7:8913 - http:// 10.1.1.7:8080 - http:// 10.1.1.7:8081 -
http:// 10.1.1.7:1234 , liberated at the firewall , I disabled firewall and anti -virus , but did not give Serviio ok when I click " Check Stream URL " . Only gave X have not found the IP .

Where am I wrong?

I do not want to see tv channels not just want to Stream using Serviio with VLC playing from computer to TV , only video files . But I did not install " SopCast 3.8.3 " as the end of your post .

Even though I do not want to see tv channels , so I can see the videos files that are on your computer , using the Serviio + VLC , I also need to install " SopCast 3.8.3 " ?

Thank you.
<<

SolihullRog

Streaming enthusiast

Post Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:35 am

I know I'm stupid, but can someone please answer a little question.

I've always been a fan of VLC, but I've just been through a big exercise of comparing all DLNA servers to stream to my new TV.

I concluded that Serviio is the best, and all I need.

But, because I like VLC, I'm wondering if this thread tells me something that could help improve my decision - i.e. use VLC and Serviio together. Do I need to read it all and understand it???

Windows 7 serving Sony Bravia TV over a powerline.
What would adding VLC to my Serviio setup give me, please?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:58 am

What would adding VLC to my Serviio setup give me, please?

In short, not a lot....
The longer version is that VLC can be used with Serviio in two ways:

• As a player for your media. As per the OP, VLC can be used to play media from the Serviio library either on the same PC or on another PC (or device with VLC) across your local network. It does this using the DLNA protocol (Serviio is a DLNA enabled Media Server, and you then use VLC as a DLNA media player).
    What advantage this gives you compared to just using VLC as a player accessing your media directly (by shared drive etc).... none that I can see. It is simple to do (follow the instructions in the OP) but does not work with the latest versions of VLC - I have got it working with version 2.0.6 and earlier. Even when working in these early versions, it is painfully slow.
  • As a stream redirector. This scenario is more complex, but you can use VLC to capture a stream (anything you can play on VLC) and then redirect it to a TCP port. Serviio can then re-stream that port to your devices (TV's, BluRay players etc). A common (and more advanced again) use of this approach is to stream your PC screen to your TV - VLC is used to capture your PC's screen and redirect the stream to a TCP port which Serviio then streams to your TV.
So in summary, VLC is not required for use with Serviio; it offers little value as a DLNA media player but does add some value if you have advanced capture/re-streaming requirements.
DenyAll
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
<<

SolihullRog

Streaming enthusiast

Post Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:07 pm

Thanks again. So it sounds as though I might be able to stream football off the web onto my TV via this route?
<<

RichardFoster

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:29 am

Yes, you are right, this player is considered one of the best in the market and I think that he will be the leader for many more years. Personally, I like it with its simplicity and functionality, especially the number of different formats that it supports. You may download the lstest version from here https://yumdownload.com/vlc-media-player. Thanks!
Previous

Return to Serviio Support & Help