FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Few issues under Ubuntu Server 11.10

<<

cog

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:53 pm

Few issues under Ubuntu Server 11.10

Hi all

I'm really trying to get Serviio to work as my DLNA server having used Twonky for years. I've installed 0.6.2 on headless 64-bit Ubuntu server (11.10) - so SSH access only to it, no GUI.

I can correctly control Serviio with the brilliant ServiiDroid app on my phone, and also using the PHP/Curl Serviioweb console from a browser.

I happen to have my media library inside a samba share on the server. I've set up the Serviio folders on 3 categories:

/srv/samba/media/music (music only)
/srv/samba/media/pictures (pictures only)
/srv/samba/media/video (video only)

Descriptive metadata and autorefresh enabled on all 3.

A few issues so far:

1) I can't quite work out how to remove the alphabetical list when I browse a category. For music, I've only enabled 'Artist' but when browse to music on a DLNA client, I first get a list of numbers and letters. How to disable this? I think I'm probably not interpreting the setup correctly.

2) My PS3 seems to browse the list of items quite quickly. A DLNA client on an iPad2 works well. BubbleUPnP works well on my Android phone as a client too.
However, my Roberts Stream 83i either does not see the server at all, or responds really slowly, or pauses during playback. I THINK this might be to do with setting up a multicast route, since it worked perfectly with Twonky (which adds a multicast route itself, apparently, though I don't have details of it). Does anyone think this would help - and what the correct settings are?

3) Windows Media Player on Windows 7 finds Serviio but reports nothing available to play.

4) Files downloaded using get_iplayer on Linux are automatically converted from FLV to mp4 by FLVStreamer after download. They play fine on iPad2, Android and my Samsung Smart TV - but on the PS3 they play at double speed with no audio other than the occasional chirp. I've read about this issue around the net, but so far haven't found any suggestions. I guess it's a transcoding settings issue; I appreciate this is not Serviio related (same thing happens with alternative DLNA server software) but someone here might know!

Many thanks
<<

jabrown0604

Serviio lover

Post Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:33 am

Re: Few issues under Ubuntu Server 11.10

i will respond to the only one I know. WMP will not work.
“Those who have succeeded at anything and don’t mention luck are kidding themselves.”
Server-Mac Mini / OS-WHS 2011 SP1 / TV/HTS-Sharp Aquos/Samsung HT-C6600
<<

cog

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:51 pm

OK, thank you. Is this a known issue with Serviio and WMP, or does WMP simply not comply with the correct standards?

WMP works fine with Twonky and I haven't found any reports of WMP not being a useable client.

Since my first post I've had time to test my Roku SoundBridge client too. That works fine; quite fast too. Still have the issue with the folder structure though; before I can browse Artists I first have to browse an alphabetical list of 0-9 and A-Z.
<<

moltra

DLNA master

Post Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:39 pm

WMP is not DLNA compliant, as usual with microsoft products.

Code:
1) I can't quite work out how to remove the alphabetical list when I browse a category. For music, I've only enabled 'Artist' but when browse to music on a DLNA client, I first get a list of numbers and letters. How to disable this? I think I'm probably not interpreting the setup correctly

I think that is a limitation on the DLNA renderer. what device or program are you having this on?

Code:
2) My PS3 seems to browse the list of items quite quickly. A DLNA client on an iPad2 works well. BubbleUPnP works well on my Android phone as a client too.
However, my Roberts Stream 83i either does not see the server at all, or responds really slowly, or pauses during playback. I THINK this might be to do with setting up a multicast route, since it worked perfectly with Twonky (which adds a multicast route itself, apparently, though I don't have details of it). Does anyone think this would help - and what the correct settings are?

Did you enable multicasting?
http://forum.serviio.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=415&p=2843#p2837

Code:
3) Windows Media Player on Windows 7 finds Serviio but reports nothing available to play.

windows media player is not DLNA complaint

Code:
4) Files downloaded using get_iplayer on Linux are automatically converted from FLV to mp4 by FLVStreamer after download. They play fine on iPad2, Android and my Samsung Smart TV - but on the PS3 they play at double speed with no audio other than the occasional chirp. I've read about this issue around the net, but so far haven't found any suggestions. I guess it's a transcoding settings issue; I appreciate this is not Serviio related (same thing happens with alternative DLNA server software) but someone here might know!

enable detailed logging (see signature) and try and play the show on the PS3. Look in the detailed log and find the ffmpeg -i command to play the video and post it here.
Mark
Beta Tester Group
http://www.serviidb.com Online media resource repository

Netgear EVA2000 | Samsung BD-D5300 | XBOX 360 | Windows 7 | Mint Debian 12 | Raxz Maxx
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

cog

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:23 pm

Thank you

I think that is a limitation on the DLNA renderer. what device or program are you having this on?

I have this issue (the alphabetical listing) on PS3, Roberts Stream 83i, Roku Soundbridge M1000, Bubble UPnP on Android and ML DLNA client on iPad2 - that's every device I've tried so far. The only device that doesn't do it is WMP, which doesn't work at all (since, as you pointed out, it's not DLNA compliant). I don't know why WMP works fine with Twonky though.

When using Twonky instead, none of the devices have this issue; when I select Music from the server list, the next list I get is Artists (which is all I enable for Music in Twonky Server too).

Did you enable multicasting?
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=415&p=2843#p2837

Not yet. I'm not sure what the correct settings are. The post you refer to suggests:

Code:
up route add -net 239.0.0.0 netmask 255.0.0.0 dev eth1

I appreciate I need to change the port if my NIC isn't eth1 but apart from that, would this be the correct multicast route for my network?

I don't know enough about multicast to know if the settings are dependent on the network but I presume not. These are my server settings:

Code:
Server address:   192.168.1.40
Netmask:   255.255.255.0
Network:   192.168.1.0/24 Class C
Broadcast: 192.168.1.255

Thanks for the tips on the detailed logging; I'll try that later and post back.
<<

aloha

DLNA master

Post Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:12 pm

[Nothing] :D

Return to Serviio Support & Help