FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Unable to start Serviio v0.6.2 on Ubuntu Server 11.10

<<

Capitrium

Streaming enthusiast

Post Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:31 pm

Unable to start Serviio v0.6.2 on Ubuntu Server 11.10

Hi all,

I've looked around in the forums and wiki but I can't seem to find a solution to this issue.

I'm trying to set up Serviio v0.6.2 on my Ubuntu Server 11.10 VM. I've followed the guide on the wiki for installing Serviio, but every time I try to start Serviio with the command
  Code:
sudo service serviio start

or any variation thereof, I get as output
  Code:
serviio stop/waiting

which is clearly not right. Any help with getting serviio up and running is much appreciated! Kindly post back here if you need any additional info in order to provide assistance.

Thanks in advance,

-Capitrium
<<

serviio-buddy

DLNA master

Post Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:02 pm

Re: Unable to start Serviio v0.6.2 on Ubuntu Server 11.10

There is a similar discussion with users not being able to start Serviio automatically when booting Ubuntu 11.10 Server here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5708

If you can't get it to start at all, then maybe you should keep your post here and see if you get any answers. I currently have Ubuntu 11.10 Server running Gnome GUI and it automatically loads and runs Serviio 0.6.2 ok. I will try to install Serviio 0.6.2 onto Ubuntu 11.10 Server Headless (no GUI) and let you know if it runs ok there.
serviio-buddy
Beta Tester Group

SONY SMP-N100 Media Player, HP PC: Vista 32/Ubuntu 11.10, Serviio 0.6.2, XBMC, VLC, ASUS eeePC Netbook: Vista 32, XBMC, SHARP Aquos BD-HP25U DLNA Blu-Ray Player

HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device | Record a new ticket on Bitbucket | Provide details of a video file that doesn't play | Turn on detailed logging
<<

Capitrium

Streaming enthusiast

Post Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:15 am

Probably should have mentioned that I was running a headless server, my bad :) No real need for a GUI as its' sole purpose is to serve files around my home network. Also, the op in the other thread you posted was able to manually start the server but was unable to get it to start at boot, while I am unable to start the server at all.
<<

serviio-buddy

DLNA master

Post Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:16 am

On Ubuntu 11.10 Server (headless), Serviio 0.6.2 would not manually start when I followed the Wiki on Ubuntu 11.10 Server Installation.

I got Serviio to run by typing:

sudo start serviio

Let me know if this works.

Unfortunately, I tried this again later after I posted this and as mentioned above, Serviio does start, but if I immediately type "status serviio" it says "serviio stop/waiting" so I don't really see why it runs for a second, then stops right afterwards.
Last edited by serviio-buddy on Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
serviio-buddy
Beta Tester Group

SONY SMP-N100 Media Player, HP PC: Vista 32/Ubuntu 11.10, Serviio 0.6.2, XBMC, VLC, ASUS eeePC Netbook: Vista 32, XBMC, SHARP Aquos BD-HP25U DLNA Blu-Ray Player

HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device | Record a new ticket on Bitbucket | Provide details of a video file that doesn't play | Turn on detailed logging
<<

Capitrium

Streaming enthusiast

Post Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:16 am

No good, it says serviio stop/waiting.
<<

JerseyJoe123

Streaming enthusiast

Post Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:17 am

I'm running Serviio 0.6.2 on a headless Ubuntu server 11.10, and it works fine on bootup.

Is it possible that the /etc/init/serviio.conf file is configured with inappropriate rights? Mine is:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 91 2012-02-18 12:56 serviio.conf

You also might want to double check that you entered the correct full path to serviio.sh that you specified in the file when you created it. Could be a small typo.
<<

Capitrium

Streaming enthusiast

Post Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:02 am

I'm running Serviio 0.6.2 on a headless Ubuntu server 11.10, and it works fine on bootup.

Unfortunately it is not starting serviio at boot that I am having issues with; my serviio server will not start at all, either manually or at boot. Nonetheless I did check the permissions on my startup script as well as the script itself for typos, and everything checks out there so the server should theoretically start at boot once I figure out what's stopping it from starting altogether...
<<

JerseyJoe123

Streaming enthusiast

Post Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:12 am

Do you have the latest version of Java and the prescribed build of ffmpeg installed on your server? What happens when you try to to run the serviio.sh script (not as a daemon) directly from the command line? Does it run or do you get some sort of error?
<<

serviio-buddy

DLNA master

Post Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:52 am

I had it working using the Serviio Wiki Ubuntu 11.10 Server Installation Guide, as stated previously.
But then, to try to get it to run directly from the command line with script, I removed the /etc/init/serviio.conf file and rebooted.
Then I typed "sudo sh /serviio-0.6.2/bin/serviio.sh", but the server just hangs and never comes back to the command prompt.
Then I pressed Ctrl-C to get back the command prompt.
serviio-buddy
Beta Tester Group

<<

Capitrium

Streaming enthusiast

Post Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:47 am

Do you have the latest version of Java and the prescribed build of ffmpeg installed on your server?

Code:
$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_23"

I don't quite remember if I used the provided ffmpeg source files as it's been a while since I did my build, so here's my configuration:
  Code:
$ ffmpeg -version
ffmpeg version git-2012-02-05-982783a
built on Feb 5 2012 04:50:42 with gcc 4.5.2
configuration: --enable-gpl --enable-libfaac --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis --enable-libx264 --enable-nonfree --enable-postproc --enable-version3 --enable-x11grab

I also ran into the same issue when trying to run the serviio.sh script from the command line with sudo sh ~/.serviio/bin/serviio.sh as serviio-buddy posted above, where the server simply hangs.
<<

serviio-buddy

DLNA master

Post Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:21 am

I added the serviio.conf file back in and Serviio won't start upon boot. It will start when I type "sudo start serviio".
If I immediately type "status serviio" after starting serviio, it says "serviio stop/waiting" again.
Serviio stops immediately after I start it.
serviio-buddy
Beta Tester Group

<<

serviio-buddy

DLNA master

Post Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:40 am

In ther serviio.log, I get an ffmpeg warning stating "[FFMPEGWrapper] FFmpeg is not compiled with librtmp support, RTMP streaming will not work."
serviio-buddy
Beta Tester Group

<<

serviio-buddy

DLNA master

Post Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:40 pm

Just installed Serviio 0.6.0.1 onto fresh install of Ubuntu 11.10 Server (headless) exactly following the Wiki's Ubuntu Server Installation Guide.

Results upon reboot:

Typing "sudo status serviio", results in "serviio stop/waiting".
Typing "sudo start serviio" results in "serviio start/running, process 868"
Typing "sudo status serviio", results in "serviio stop/waiting" again.
serviio-buddy
Beta Tester Group

<<

Capitrium

Streaming enthusiast

Post Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:34 pm

So apparently running the serviio.sh script from the command line will start the server, it just doesn't output anything so you have no idea if it's actually doing anything or not... something that should probably be changed in a future release. Anyway, I ran the script and then looked at the serviio.log file in another shell and it looked like the server was, in fact, running. Went down to check if I could see the server on my Xbox 360 and lo and behold, there it was!

While it's good to know that the server actually works, there's still the issue of why it won't work when run as a daemon :| I took a quick look at the /etc/init.d/serviio.save file, and it seems like there were some typos in there. In particular, the line
  Code:
SERVIIO_BIN="$SERVIIO_HOME/bin/$SERVIIO_DAEMON"

was written in my file as
  Code:
SERVIIO_BIN="$SERVIIO_HOME/bin/$SER$VIIO_DAEMON"

(note the extra $ in $SERVIIO_DAEMON). I'll have another look later on to see if there are more instances of this, since I fixed the typos I did find and I'm still unable to start serviio as a daemon.
<<

serviio-buddy

DLNA master

Post Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:21 am

Yeah, I see that in the code you left that shows the typo.

From reading the serviio.log files earlier today on my Ubuntu 11.10 Server (headless) install, Serviio does appear to be running when the shell command "sudo sh /serviio-0.6.2/bin/serviio.sh" command is run and looks like it's hanging when it never returns to the command prompt. I opened another terminal while this was running, then looked at the log file which showed a lot of entries but I didn't actual run a renderer to see if Serviio was going to work correctly.

Well, at least, you can start it that way for now.
Last edited by serviio-buddy on Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
serviio-buddy
Beta Tester Group

<<

JerseyJoe123

Streaming enthusiast

Post Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:23 am

I took a quick look at the /etc/init.d/serviio.save file, and it seems like there were some typos in there.

Interesting. I don't have that file in my installation. Did you copy it there from someplace?
<<

Capitrium

Streaming enthusiast

Post Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:18 am

I took a quick look at the /etc/init.d/serviio.save file, and it seems like there were some typos in there.
Interesting. I don't have that file in my installation. Did you copy it there from someplace?
I just assumed it was the default init.d serviio startup script, but it could just be a relic from a previous attempt at installing another version. I tried installing Serviio a month or two ago but basically ran into the same issue I did this time, and then realized that I wouldn't be able to stream to my target device anyway due to certain network restrictions. But now I have additional devices sans networking issues, so I'm back to figuring out why I've only ever been able to get the server started by running the serviio.sh script.
<<

serviio-buddy

DLNA master

Post Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:53 pm

Not really sure if that's the best way to start Serviio using the "sudo sh serviio-0.6.2/bin/serviio.sh" from Ubuntu 11.10 Server, but it sure seems to work ok, except for the hanging cursor syndrome.

Next need to find out how to have Serviio start automatically from boot on the Ubuntu 11.10 Server being discussed here in a different thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5708

Please join in with your thoughts.
serviio-buddy
Beta Tester Group

Return to Serviio Support & Help