FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

adding second router screwed things up

<<

rjxox

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:10 pm

adding second router screwed things up

Hi there,

Been using Serviio for a while and it has worked great. I have shaw cable coming in the house which hooks up to a modem/router with wifi. Problem is today I hooked up another router to increase my signal range. So i now have the shaw modem router with a line that runs to a another router. From the second router I have hooked my tv and stereo up. If i use wifi from my shaw modem/router serviio works fine. Using my hard wired connection I can not acess servio from my stero or tv. The internet however works on both of these devices. Is this an issue with settings in my second router? I tried adding the ip devices in serviio but that has not helped at all.

Any help is appreciated.
<<

npuser

DLNA master

Post Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:13 pm

Re: adding second router screwed things up

Not understanding the concept of increasing the wifi signal - is that by adding existing router as a bridge or repeater? Sounds like your both routers are handing out ips from different ip scopes and broadcast traffics is not getting to other scopes. A router does not forward/route broadcast traffics.

Npuser
<<

csholmq

DLNA master

Post Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:02 pm

Make sure the routers are connected via LAN ports only. Also, turn off DHCP on the repeating router.
<<

rjxox

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:43 am

I added a second router to enable the use of devices out side on the deck and upstairs. It seems the second router will not let the tv access serviio
<<

r-win

DLNA master

Post Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:55 am

The big question here is, how are the two routers connected. Is that using a LAN cable? Or is the second router configured as repeater?
Linksys WRT320N | Samsung PS-50C7700 | Microsoft XBOX 360 | Windows 8.1 | Linux Ubuntu 13.04
<<

rjxox

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:52 pm

The ethernet from my shaw modem goes to the internet in on the second router. I ran the wizard and internet just seemed to work. I was surprised because i tried this before using a d-link and it caused all sorts of grief. You guys think i should plau the cable from my shaw into one of the lans instead of internet in?

btw thx for the help thusfar

Return to Serviio Support & Help