FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Merry Christmas and Thanks!

<<

Päronpaj

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:06 pm

Merry Christmas and Thanks!

Hi Zip,
I have been using DNLA/UPnP servers (alongside with DAAP, shudder...) for media streaming for quite a few years now (used MediaTomb and other servers before), and your server is absolute tops, esp the transcoding part, which is comparatively painless, thank you for that.

I run the server at an Intel Atom based wannabe-server (1.6GHz dual proc, 2GB RAM) with Ubuntu Server. Crappy HW, but with such a lightweight OS everything runs smoothly.
Clients to the server are:
- PS3 console for streaming to the main TV.
- Apple iPad, using BUZZ Player and AirPlayer
- HTC Wildfire, Android phone.
- An old HTPC running Ubuntu

I noted that Serviio has a very high WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor), highly appreciated!

I also understand that your server is publishing RESTful services that are consumed by the console. Is the REST-API publicly available, and would you appreciate client/console/whatever-addons that uses this API? The sourcecode of such addons would naturally be at your disposal, and if you decide so, publicly available.

Best Regards, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
//J
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:13 pm

Re: Merry Christmas and Thanks!

I noted that Serviio has a very high WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor), highly appreciated!

LOL, interesting, please do elaborate :-)

I also understand that your server is publishing RESTful services that are consumed by the console. Is the REST-API publicly available, and would you appreciate client/console/whatever-addons that uses this API? The sourcecode of such addons would naturally be at your disposal, and if you decide so, publicly available.

The API doc is not complete yet (spending all my time developing 0.5), but hopefully when that's out I'll finish it. I'd appreciate plugins for whatever client, right now it seems that a web based console would be of use to many users. If you're up for it then great - source would be owned by you and you can pick the license.
<<

Päronpaj

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:43 pm

Re: Merry Christmas and Thanks!

Heh, put it this way, my better half is fantastic but a bit "technically-illiterate". Stuff that is pretty, easy to use and does not require noisy machines has high acceptance. Working metadata online-querying along with auto-generated thumbnail pics FTW...

I was thinking more mobile-device-app for android but a web-based console would do the trick (eventhough most of my web-stuff looks like sh*t, I'm no artist...) I'll have a look through the forum for ideas on such a console/client and we'll have a chat when you are done with the API-specs and docs to see if I can be of any assistance.

BRGDS
//J

Return to User experiences