FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Has anyone tried the Android Tv Boxes

<<

nvisowolf

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:20 pm

Has anyone tried the Android Tv Boxes

Im looking for a a very easy user device that provides full functionality of Serviio. Has anyone tried out the new Android base products , ie Nexus player, android tv?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:38 am

Re: Has anyone tried the Android Tv Boxes

Probably the absolute simplest to use device is a Roku player. I think it's Linux based, not Android. The main issue is that most videos will require transcoding because a) they can't handle high bitrate video (much above 15Mpbs), and b) they do not support files with MPEG2 video encoding. If everything you have is MP4 and a reasonable bitrate, then it works quite well.

One caveat about MPEG2 support. If you buy a TV with the Roku built in (they call it Roku TV) then it will play MPEG2 without transcoding.

I have tried the Amazon Fire TV box when it first came out, but at that time there was no official support for DLNA playback. It was supposed to come with a later update, but I haven't looked at it lately. My daughter uses it for Netflix and Amazon Video streaming, and it works well there. If they get DLNA support going, it might also be a reasonable choice.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

nvisowolf

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:08 pm

I got her a Roku and it works ok and yes you right about the file formats it's a pain sometimes, I did try the the Nexus Streaming tv made by Asus and it doesn't come with any media player at all . Gogle play is not fully funtional did a dlna search came back with XMBC but it did not alow it to download and install. So im taking it back.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:19 am

My sister-in-law broke her arm, and has been parked in my family room for two weeks. She has been using the Roku exclusively, and figured it out pretty fast. she has really become spoiled with my wide variety of content, and I have a feeling I'll be setting up Serviio for her when she gets around to buying a new computer (she still has a Vista with 2G of RAM that is a real dog :lol: ). She already has one of my old Sony SMP-N200 players.

For anyone who doesn't want to fiddle with the player, it works quite well. It's nice that it shows the metadata for the movie as well. First media player I've had that did so.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

martin19

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:20 pm

Personally i have bought 2 android tv in total, the first one was a stick, really cheap and very good, the only problem that i found was the lack of ports to connect things and for stream conten with XBMC was not that good. Now i have a Minix Neo X8-H and it is amazing. I dont watch normal tv anymore, if i want to see a serie or a movie, i just look for it with the XBMC and thats it. I also have a Air mouse to control ir, and belive when i say that i will change your tv forever

Ahhh, and if you think it, they are really really cheap comparing them with any smart tv, and you can do more with them....

For me one of the best devices to have in your house withouth any doubt.

Greetings

Return to User experiences