FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Bug in DB creation for TV series? Randomly missing episodes

<<

Clumsy007

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:54 am

Bug in DB creation for TV series? Randomly missing episodes

Hello!
I am searching for a dlna server to manage my movie and tv series collection. After some testing with a smaller amount of movies and 2-3 tv shows i renamed all files that didnt match the requirements to be recognized by the filenameparser. after importing the whole collection (we are talking about ~10k files) is did some random inspection in the "series" section, and sadly had to recognize that random episodes of random tvshows r missing. these episodes still show up in the "folder-section" of the mediabrowser, but are missing in the "series-section" wich i acutlly wanted to use. the filenames were created with a tool, so there is no difference in the syntax between the episodes which show up and them which does not. refreshing the database had no effect. then i tried to rename the missing episodes to a wrong file name -> refreshed the DB -> rerenamed the missing episode to the correct filename -> refreshed again. in some cases the missing episodes suddenly showed up.
then i wrote down a handful of missing episodes, deleted the whole database, and created it again. now other random episodes were missing in the "series"-section.
a little frustrating after all the filerenaming... any hints what to do, without checking all 10k files one by one if they r rly in the DB?
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:36 am

Re: Bug in DB creation for TV series? Randomly missing episo

You can check the log file to see if there were any errors connecting to the online database.
<<

Clumsy007

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:08 pm

Ok i forced a metadata and database update for ~3000 and went trough the first 800 lines of the logfile, beginning where the update startet.
I found 51 errors (~6,3%). For my 10k files this would mean ~600 videos wouldnt be registered properly in the database :(

However, there occured 5 types of errors:

1. (occured 2 times):
  Code:
LibraryManager: Skipping processing metadata for an unsupported file (F:\Serien F\Dexter\S03\Dexter.s03e03.avi). Message: Unknown video file type.

avi files seemed to be broken. replacement of the file should solve it

2. (occured 2 times):
  Code:
TheTVDBSourceAdaptor: Cannot retrieve banner: Read timed out

Doesn't rly bother me. Only a banner.

3. (occured 21 times):
  Code:
LibraryManager: Extractor ONLINE_VIDEO_SOURCES failed to connect to metadata source for file F:\Serien F\Arrow\S01\Arrow.S01E08.avi, will try again later: Error connecting to thetvdb.com: Read timed out

Ok, timeouts can happen. Hopefully these errors will be resolved with another database update. Can't perform and test it atm because the metadataupdate is still running.

4. (occured 6 times):
  Code:
LibraryManager: Extractor ONLINE_VIDEO_SOURCES failed to connect to metadata source for file F:\Serien F\Arrow\S02\Arrow.S02E21.mp4, will try again later: Error connecting to thetvdb.com: Server returned HTTP response code: 522 for URL: http://thetvdb.com/api/235C8CA4529142E9/series/257655/default/2/21/de.xml

Is it possible that the xml-files are damaged or not existing, or is this just another time out error? Should i contact thetvdb.com for the xml-file issues?

5. (occured 22 times):
  Code:
LibraryManager: Cannot read metadata of file F:\Serien F\2 Broke Girls\S01\2.Broke.Girls.S01E04.mkv via extractor ONLINE_VIDEO_SOURCES. Message: Cannot retrieve series search results for tvdb.com: Error connecting to thetvdb.com: Server returned HTTP response code: 522 for URL: http://thetvdb.com/api/GetSeries.php?seriesname=2+broke+girls&language=all

A strange error, since it is exactly the same seriesname which is working for all the other episodes of the series.
I also have concerns regarding to this error, because it doesnt say "will try again later" like the 2 other errors above.

As soon as the metadata update has finished i will perform a database update and compare the logfilerecordings if any errors are solved. I'll give you an update.

If u can already give me some hints how to resolve the issues i would be glad to hear from you.
<<

Clumsy007

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:12 pm

After the metadate refresh had finished, i forced another library refreshh which resolved all "read time out"errors (means the files updated in the library) and almost all "unfound xml"errors. The remaining xml errors showed up in the log file.

The big issue are the 134 episodes which caused "unfound seriesname"errors, which didnt update and also didnt create a new warning in the logfile. so they are in the library and accesable over the "folder view" but are missing in the "series view". since there is no warning in the logfile i gues they will never be updated automatically.

is there any way to manually edit the database to assign these episodes to the "series view"?
how does the "rescane video metadate" button work. could it happen if i hit it that already assigned tv series/episodes get lost?
i rly dont want to make it worse.
<<

zip

Post Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:11 am

So if the series name is not found, you have 2 options:
- rename the folder to a name that thetvdb.com can recognise (there are also tools, like filebot renamer - check the wiki)
- if you think the name is correct, you can update metadata on thetvdb.com (obviously that would take a long time for al your files)

This is probably caused by the point 5 failure (error when searching for series name). Looks like thetvdb.com is having some issues lately. Perhaps their servers are overloaded, thus the 522 error. I will try to code around it for 1.5.1.

Alternatively, you can switch to XBMC metadata rather than online. Then you'd have to get some tool (some might be in the wiki again) to generate the xbmc metadata files for your videos.

The button will mark the video files as 'dirty' and will perform metadata update on all videos.
<<

Clumsy007

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:47 pm

Thx for your information.

It really lookes like the issues are caused by the db server. I ran a few more library refreshs with and without metadata scans until he catched all. i am not 100% sure, but i think it could happen i also lose episodes from the "series-section" if a 522 occurs at the refresh. i will split up the data and add them as seperate sources so i can update smaller parts of the library, and leave completed tvshows out of the refreshs.

it would be a nice feature if there were an option to display all warnings/errors after a library refresh so u dont have to search for them in the logfile.

anyway i think i made the right choice with serviio. it has some very nice features (i am just hoping for a dlna push feature in future version to start media on tv from the mediabrowser. atm i am using an app on my smartphone for that). i will also work on my movie library now and when all is working i will purchase the licence for internetaccess. thx for the work man!
<<

zip

Post Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:49 pm

<<

freaknik

DLNA master

Post Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:55 pm

Same thing happened to me.

Don't know if this has to do with it but I was having network problems when I experienced the bug and the videos that weren't showing for me were on a shared drive.

I got rid of metadata and all is well, works like a champ.

The thumnails don't even show on the dlna client for my player so I was going to do that anyway.

Maybe have options in the setup for metadata and transcoding, so the end user, even non savy ones, are presented the option of turning these off before creating the first database.

Return to User experiences