FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

securing console access

<<

daemon

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:55 am

securing console access

hi,

i have installed serviio on a remote server, how can i ensure i am the only who can login to the console manage it?

in other words, how i can secure the console access?

-Daemon
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:33 pm

Re: securing console access

Not really, maybe on the Windows user level so that only you can run the executable.
<<

daemon

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:48 pm

well, this what i understand... the web manager is secured by a password, that is set by the console app
but the console app, can we run by anyone.. when you are controlling computer B from computer A?

what the point of the password on the web manager ,when anyone can startup the console and reset the password?

-Daemon
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:51 am

Remote access to the Serviio Server is not the case for the majority of users and as such this feature wouldn't be required by most people (and even then, the majority of remote access users would not be concerned that users on their own LAN are doing the wrong thing). Having said that, for those that do require this level of additional security, you can do so readily enough:

• Password protect the server that Serviio is installed on. This will stop unauthorised access to that server;
  • Use a firewall on the server to only allow access to port 23423 (which is used by the console ) from particular users and/or particular source IP address. This will stop access from non-authorised LAN users.
The console app is planned for redevelopment, so if enough people want this, now is the time to ask (but as I suggested above, I can't foresee too much demand)....
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
Please do not PM me for support as any solution cannot be shared with others.
<<

daemon

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:56 am

consider this scenario...

serviio installed on a remote server (not on lan)
have ssh access to the server, no gui
need to open port for remote console access
set password using console access - remote tab

which can be reset by anyone on the internet!

what the?

-Daemon
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:53 pm

You can setup firewall on the remote server so that only your IP has access to the port, no?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:18 am

daemon wrote:consider this scenario...

serviio installed on a remote server (not on lan)
have ssh access to the server, no gui
need to open port for remote console access
set password using console access - remote tab

which can be reset by anyone on the internet!

what the?

-Daemon

I suggest the port for console access should not be opened directly to the Internet. Instead you should be able to SSH in, which has strong security, and then access the console through the SSH port. I've done something similar with the Windows Desktop Connection, using Putty to SSH through the firewall and open the necessary port to use the RDC client on my local computer to access the server.

This way, only someone who has the SSH password, and configures the SSH client correctly, can open the console. I understand your concern, but there are ways to secure access on a remote server.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to User experiences