FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Help Please

<<

TheFrostyBlur

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:04 pm

Help Please

So I've been trying to get this to work with Dropbox as I use that quite a bit. I thought if would be simple - go on Online source and add the URL? Did that and it does not work it will not show my files and I've tried my best to find a answer but I can't, that's why I'm here. Is there anyway to use cloud services with Serviio? Please help this is really important for me and will be a massive pain if I can't use Dropbox with it.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:28 pm

Re: Help Please

TheFrostyBlur wrote:So I've been trying to get this to work with Dropbox as I use that quite a bit. I thought if would be simple - go on Online source and add the URL? Did that and it does not work it will not show my files and I've tried my best to find a answer but I can't, that's why I'm here. Is there anyway to use cloud services with Serviio? Please help this is really important for me and will be a massive pain if I can't use Dropbox with it.

One suggestion would be to install Dropbox on your Serviio computer, and link the local Dropbox folder to Serviio. That way anything sent to Dropbox from any location would appear in the local folder when sync'd. I'm unsure if the user must be logged into the computer for the Dropbox syncing to occur, but my guess is yes. That means the Serviio computer would always need a user to be logged in, with Dropbox configured. Unless you're running a server based OS, that shouldn't be too big a deal. My home computers are always logged in.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

TheFrostyBlur

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:48 pm

atc98092 wrote:
TheFrostyBlur wrote:So I've been trying to get this to work with Dropbox as I use that quite a bit. I thought if would be simple - go on Online source and add the URL? Did that and it does not work it will not show my files and I've tried my best to find a answer but I can't, that's why I'm here. Is there anyway to use cloud services with Serviio? Please help this is really important for me and will be a massive pain if I can't use Dropbox with it.

One suggestion would be to install Dropbox on your Serviio computer, and link the local Dropbox folder to Serviio. That way anything sent to Dropbox from any location would appear in the local folder when sync'd. I'm unsure if the user must be logged into the computer for the Dropbox syncing to occur, but my guess is yes. That means the Serviio computer would always need a user to be logged in, with Dropbox configured. Unless you're running a server based OS, that shouldn't be too big a deal. My home computers are always logged in.

But isn't that messing with the point of the cloud? Because when anything is in that folder and Syncd that means that it's on my HDD and I only want it to be in the cloud so I don't have to deal with the space because most of my files go over 20GB. So is there a way to get the files into Serviio directly from the cloud not your HDD? I think PLEX have something like that.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:28 pm

I understand your point. I didn't know Dropbox supported that large of files. I use it for work purposes to sync my iPad, iPhone and desktop.

Another point. Dropbox may not support the bandwidth necessary to stream a video, particularly if it's HD. I'd have to research that further, but something tells me it either won't be enough bandwidth, or if it did work you may receive a not so nice email about your usage. Better research that before going too much further! :o

I just did a quick search. I don't think Dropbox will do what you want. Here's from their FAQs:

Please note that when you create a link to a video in your Dropbox you will be able to watch the full video, and anyone you share the link with will be able to view the first fifteen minutes on a preview page. In order to view the full length of the shared video, recipients will need to download the file to their computer.

So unless you are logged into your Dropbox (which Serviio can't do for an online source to my knowledge) you can only stream 15 minutes. If your files are that large, I don't think they are that short. :oops:
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

TheFrostyBlur

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:18 pm

atc98092 wrote:I understand your point. I didn't know Dropbox supported that large of files. I use it for work purposes to sync my iPad, iPhone and desktop.

Another point. Dropbox may not support the bandwidth necessary to stream a video, particularly if it's HD. I'd have to research that further, but something tells me it either won't be enough bandwidth, or if it did work you may receive a not so nice email about your usage. Better research that before going too much further! :o

I just did a quick search. I don't think Dropbox will do what you want. Here's from their FAQs:

Please note that when you create a link to a video in your Dropbox you will be able to watch the full video, and anyone you share the link with will be able to view the first fifteen minutes on a preview page. In order to view the full length of the shared video, recipients will need to download the file to their computer.

So unless you are logged into your Dropbox (which Serviio can't do for an online source to my knowledge) you can only stream 15 minutes. If your files are that large, I don't think they are that short. :oops:

Damn! I guess I'm going to need to download my stuff to my HDD. Sucks because I have space both on Dropbox and OneDrive so yeah that sucks. From what I see it's a great service if you're doing it right. I might need to buy some new HDD'S.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:52 am

I just swapped out two drives (640gig and 2TB) with a 3TB. I now have 6 3TB drives for storing my media. The biggest issue is that while they are all SATA 3 (6Gbps), two of the drives are connected to an add-on card (MB only has 6 ports, and I need eight total including the OS drive and optical) that only supports 3Gbps. No impact while streaming, but when I move files around it does limit total speed. But removing one drive reduces power consumption, noise and heat generated.

But overall, hard drives are pretty cheap. Plus, if the Internet goes down (rare happening) I can still get to all my videos. :D
Dan

Return to User experiences