FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Trouble Serving FLAC files to certain devices

<<

LargeGeek

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:57 am

Trouble Serving FLAC files to certain devices

I am having a hell of a time serving my FLAC file to certain devices that play these same files locally fine. And can serve the files to other devices without issue.

My main problem at the moment is I cannot get my Grace Digital Mondo to play my ripped flac files. One album that I purchased and downloaded as flac from Bandcamp will play for a bit and eventually quit. There specs of the files (purchased vs. ripped) are pretty much in line with each other. I also had issues getting other Android apps to play the flac files, but went ahead and paid for Serviio to get use of ServiiGo since it worked fine in the trial period. Theses same files play fine locally on the Mondo, but it is not liking them via UPnP/DLNA.

Are there any rip parameters or meta-tagging I need to pay attention to in order to optimize DLNA compatibility? I pretty much rolled with the default flac rip settings on Exact Audio Copy (EAC). Or are there any other Serviio or Windows setting I need to toggle to ensure playback of flac?

I have zero issues playing my entire library, most of which is flac, to:
foobar20000 w/ UPnP plugin
ServiiGo on Nexus 7 and Moto X
Playstation 3 Slim
Serviio MediaBrowser

These same files play fine locally on my:
Fiio x1
Grace Digital Mondo (via USB)

Paid version of Serviio running on:
Windows 10
i7-920
8GB RAM
OS Drive is a Crucial M500 250 GB
Media is on a 750GB WD Black
Serviio PC has a gigabit ethernet connection to the network
WiFi is handled by a Linksys EA3500 serving as an AP
I run a custom pfSense box (not particularly important in this case, but just in case)
Practice static safety. Hack naked. -- Mega Tokyo
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:40 pm

Re: Trouble Serving FLAC files to certain devices

Remember that there's no guarantee that a file that plays locally on a device will play via DLNA. I don't have specific examples, but have heard from multiple people of the same issue. File will play locally (usually from a USB drive) but not over the network. Unfortunately, your only option in these cases is to transcode the audio to another codec.

Now if that same device can play some FLAC files but not others, then you have a different issue, and would need media info from one that works and one that doesn't.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to User experiences